Delaware River Club
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Gorge

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Gorge

Good day today in the Gorge. It was nice to fish in the rain after the hot summer but as expected, the water is really moving so wading is almost impossible. The trout were very active and hitting streamers. Best part was I didn't see any chubs!
    Time is running out, stop yapping and get to it!

Similar Threads:

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: The Gorge

Quote Originally Posted by cocopelao View Post
    Good day today in the Gorge. It was nice to fish in the rain after the hot summer but as expected, the water is really moving so wading is almost impossible. The trout were very active and hitting streamers. Best part was I didn't see any chubs!
    Time is running out, stop yapping and get to it!
    Great to hear. I'll be there tomorrow - tuesday. If anyone is trying to fish -- hit me with a PM. Might not be down in the Gorge until like 2 (ish) on Sunday as I need to put the topper back on the Bronco, but perhaps I can do that tonight when I get off work. Beetle and Novak are tentative maybes...Two of my homies from BK will be chilling...some other folk coming on Tuesday to forage for mushrooms...

Lacey: Where'd you get that pistol?
    Blevins: At the gettin' place.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by moosekid View Post
    Great to hear. I'll be there tomorrow - tuesday. If anyone is trying to fish -- hit me with a PM. Might not be down in the Gorge until like 2 (ish) on Sunday as I need to put the topper back on the Bronco, but perhaps I can do that tonight when I get off work. Beetle and Novak are tentative maybes...Two of my homies from BK will be chilling...some other folk coming on Tuesday to forage for mushrooms...
    monday? i'm heading into the gorge monday, morning.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moosekid View Post
    Two of my homies from BK will be chilling...some other folk coming on Tuesday to forage for mushrooms...
    Found this today...left it to grow larger. Hen of the Woods is great pickled....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hen.jpg 
Views:	889 
Size:	420.0 KB 
ID:	12002

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Been there twice this past week. Did pretty well with a couple big browns each time and one really nice brookie, complete with a bright red underbelly from one of the tribs. Everything on streamers though. I hope to get down there once more tomorrow or Thursday to finish out the season. I have not seen anything rising at all which is what it is but wondering if anyone has some suggestions on anything I could throw that'll attract some top water interest.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,529 Times in 969 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 23 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cocopelao View Post
    Been there twice this past week. Did pretty well with a couple big browns each time and one really nice brookie, complete with a bright red underbelly from one of the tribs. Everything on streamers though. I hope to get down there once more tomorrow or Thursday to finish out the season. I have not seen anything rising at all which is what it is but wondering if anyone has some suggestions on anything I could throw that'll attract some top water interest.
    We're getting BWOs out and caddis, both gray and October caddis. Add midges and there are occasional surface rises. Our biggest problem is a complete lack of water again this fall for our 3rd straight year. And no rain in the forecast that will have a positive impact on flows.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

You guys are on different pages. Cocopelao has been fishing the Neversink Gorge -- not the KLG...

...but, Rusty is still right on as I saw good hatches of BWOs and Caddis Monday and Tuesday on the Neversink.

I saw plenty of fish working the surface. They were probably on the caddis. The fish down there are not smart. If you are trying to prospect with a dry, I would use something you can easily hang a dropper off -- something oversized, with a large profile like a #12 stimulator or mikulak sedge. You'll want something really bushy that won't sink in the pocket water. I did a lot of nymphing and you really can't beat a classic BH Prince on those fish. It's the fucking candy, and you should have 6 of them in your box when you head down there. I tried all kinds of sexy stone patterns -- caddis soft-hackles -- small PT variations for the olives... They almost always took the prince...

I had the most fun stripping small articulated streamers just below the surface and watching them get airborne on the take.

Best stretches were the Turner Brook Reserve and the two pools directly upstream of it...Especially the one with the big rock

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Finally made it to the Gorge yesterday for the first time this year. Parked in the Katrina lot and once I got to the river I was surprised at the number of people down there for a Tuesday afternoon but I'm definitely spoiled because I hardly ever see anyone there. It wasn't really that bad and everyone had their space but basically there was always someone in sight while we fished and we had to leap frog each other as we made our way up and down the river.
    Trout weren't to active and I eventually got a little love with stonefly nymphs and landed 2 Browns. Around 7 PM, I finally saw a couple risers on the water, definitely nothing crazy but a chance at some top water action. A couple beige colored flies fluttered by once in awhile so I tied on a Cahill and actually got a couple hits but couldn't net any of them.
    All in all, it was great to be there. I'm planning on going back next week but will definitely make my way to the river on opposite side to avoid "the crowd".

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cocopelao For This Useful Post:

fluid1 (05-14-2016)

polifly is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Nice report Coco, i have hit the gorge 3 x this year, twice on katrina falls rd access and once on eden rd with very good success on streamers...Im planning on hitting it again very soon....What ever happened to the rainbows and brookies i used to catch down there? Im one of those that would like the state to stock rainbow fingerlings so they can reproduce in the gorge....Any thoughts????Tight Lines.......

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

I have no problem with them stocking young Rainbows, I'm sure they're already in there somewhere but now that you mention it, I don't recall catching any. I'd bet some stockies eventually make their way there from above and below and are lucky enough to last a couple years in the gorge.
    I've caught some nice brookies on the Mullet using a 6', 2 weight rod but never any on the river. I've never tried fishing that first stream you pass as you make your way down from Katrina but it looks big enough to hold them so they might be in there too.
    What kind of streamers did you use that worked? I tried some Mickey Finns and Blacknose Dace and got zero love. Like I said, the only thing that's been working for me lately is nymphs.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

There's an Island where Eden Brook dumps into the Neversink. Right before the brook falls into the main river, it makes a fork and there are two little falls that trickle down. Either way, the outlet of the lower fork (in the main river) is loaded with nice Brookies. The stack up like 2 feet off the bank and will take Caddis dries all summer. Don't feel bad burning the spot because it's a fucking trek to get there.

The occasional giant rainbow is caught, but they come from Clubs upstream.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to moosekid For This Useful Post:

cocopelao (05-23-2016)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Has anybody been down there yet this year? I've been on the Willow a couple times and found it barely wadeable and fast (but it's improving) and figured the Gorge would be twice as bad. Looking forward to getting down there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information