Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    278 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Micro spey

Any opinions or experience with micro spey rods for trout fishing on tri-state rivers?

Similar Threads:

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Re: Micro spey

its more of a something new to try thing thats caught on of late than it is an effective way to fish. Yes , u can pick a few fish up swinging for trout but no more than u would nymphing or on dries during a hatch and if the hatch does come off u are stuck with a switch rod. I also find the idea of swinging flies for trout boring. The one Exception being night fishing, since its a good way to cover water with big flies and it works well for big fish on larger rivers.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to flyI4 For This Useful Post:

FIN-ITE 34 (09-02-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been considering getting the Echo Glass Switch rod. At $275 the price is right. I only wish there were more 10 foot switch rods for trout that are reasonably priced.

To me the Micro speys are just pushing the boundary at beeing too long for GST.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    278 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I think flyI makes some good points. If you can find a good size piece of water that holds some big fish you might want to try swinging some larger patterns to trophy hunt. Instead of buying a new rod you might want to try one of the new x-short trout Skagit heads on a 9' rod you already own. Rio is now making the Skagit Trout Max @ 11' in length with grain weights from 200-275. Throw one of those on an extra spool and you can fish just about any condition with two lines and one rod, around here anyway.
    Add three line sizes to the Trout Max size ( 2wt/200gr. for 5wt single hand rod) and you are good to go.
    I'm thinking of getting one just for shits and giggles.

LyNcH is offline Dries, wets, nymphs and streamers...it's all good!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

I've done the whole trout switch thing several times over the past several years. I'm a big two-hand angler, but did not find it exciting or very productive when swinging on several NY streams and in Maine. The water I fish isn't big enough to really get an effective cast and swing, and trout like bait patterns that move vs. just swing through. I have since sold my trout switch rods and if I want to streamer fish, I just throw a polyleader on my 10' 5wt rod and go from there.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

No bait allowed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    278 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LyNcH View Post
    I've done the whole trout switch thing several times over the past several years. I'm a big two-hand angler, but did not find it exciting or very productive when swinging on several NY streams and in Maine. The water I fish isn't big enough to really get an effective cast and swing, and trout like bait patterns that move vs. just swing through. I have since sold my trout switch rods and if I want to streamer fish, I just throw a polyleader on my 10' 5wt rod and go from there.
    That's kind of why I thought I might just for the hell of it try the new Rio Skagit Trout Max. I find as you say that our trout are more likely to hit a stripped over a swung streamer. Most places I fish are extremely difficult to back cast and I thought that the Trout Max might be an answer to that problem and still use a single hand rod.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Do you like to fish in the winter?

When the water is cold the trout stay on the bottom and prefer the fly on a slow swing, not stripped.

I fish an eastern tailwater in February with a 10.5' 5wt switch. The nice thing about a switch rod is that your not stripping the line in and casting it back out. In cold weather you end up dealing with frozen guides a lot less.

Try a Redneck Rabbit with light eyes-light enough to spey cast. The light weighted eyes keep the fly dribbling along the bottom and the zonker strip adds a ton of movement, without having to strip the fly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    278 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    Do you like to fish in the winter?

When the water is cold the trout stay on the bottom and prefer the fly on a slow swing, not stripped.

I fish an eastern tailwater in February with a 10.5' 5wt switch. The nice thing about a switch rod is that your not stripping the line in and casting it back out. In cold weather you end up dealing with frozen guides a lot less.

Try a Redneck Rabbit with light eyes-light enough to spey cast. The light weighted eyes keep the fly dribbling along the bottom and the zonker strip adds a ton of movement, without having to strip the fly.
    Thanks JMO. I think the problem in our area is that it is pretty difficult to find water that is largely swingable. Most of our waters are tight and I'm just looking for an alternative for no back cast with larger weighted streamers.
    I fish all winter but that would be nymphing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

What kind of tips do you use with the Rio Trout Max lines: Polyleaders? Mow?

Randy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    278 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Randyflycaster View Post
    What kind of tips do you use with the Rio Trout Max lines: Polyleaders? Mow?

Randy
    I would guess that they would match up with the MOW tips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I have one of these and find it is a great indicator rod in addition to swinging wets!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ausable For This Useful Post:

FIN-ITE 34 (09-22-2015)

Thread Information