Thomas & Thomas
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 13 to 21 of 21
  1. #13
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,443
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    28
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Dep increases releases at cannonsville reservoir to facilitate necessary repairs

    Having done a bit more research, here's something that certainly points out reasons the dam operators are being very cautious. I'm not saying Dam Piping is what's going on but clearly they don't know at this point and are being cautious. Note the pages that cover water seepage around the bottom of the dam.

    http://www.oregon.gov/owrd/SW/docs/d...al_Erosion.pdf

    "That wasn't your fly... was it?

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to NJFred For This Useful Post:

    lightenup (07-18-2015)

  3. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    428
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    69
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    145
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Dep increases releases at cannonsville reservoir to facilitate necessary repairs

    Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    I am no Civil Engineer, but I when I red this excerpt from "Proceedings of the Michigan Engineering Society" published in 1885 page 41. It was alarming.
    No offense Tomfly. But saying "I am no civil engineer" and then quoting a vague and obscure 130 year old source about dam troubleshooting is an exercise in redundancy.

    (and I don't mean the good kind...)

    I'm starting to think that you and CMM should have a sit-down and figure this whole dam thing out.


  4. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,101
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,684
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    800
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    215
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts


    Re: Dep increases releases at cannonsville reservoir to facilitate necessary repairs

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    No offense Tomfly. But saying "I am no civil engineer" and then quoting a vague and obscure 130 year old source about dam troubleshooting is an exercise in redundancy.

    (and I don't mean the good kind...)

    I'm starting to think that you and CMM should have a sit-down and figure this whole dam thing out.
    What is so vague about the excerpt? From what I read, the excerpt describes how unwanted hydraulic flows in the structure can transport martial through the system causing degradation of the structure. Am I correct in what I understood? The DEC states it could be ground water from the test holes. If so why is the Dam sitting on an aquifer? Wouldn’t that be a problem with the geological structure that the dam is constructed upon? That Dam has a big problem in either scenario. Perhaps the test holes presented a problem that went undetected and now can be addressed before any loss of life.

    MB you should know by now, I am thick skinned and attacking me to get under my skin is a lesson in futility. AK tried it on a few occasions and failed. What did get me in a tizzy; is your problem with so call old engineering methodology. My father was a Mechanical Engineer for NASA (yea a rocket engineer) in the 60s and 70s. He would design the part go out in the machine shop and make the part. That is what he did. He did not work on the big Saturn 5 but the smaller rockets that launched the so called “weather satellites”. He had no modern computer modeling or CAD system to find problems. He used a slide ruler and his head. He had to get it correct the first time. My father used a slide ruler all his life. So don’t underestimate antiquated engineering methodology. They built most of the structures in the world, not using a Computer but using their head.

    Not to get of the subject but when I was a kid Young 8-9 years old. I can remember the Cost Guard in Virginia. Their primary mission was to defend NASA’s Wallops Island facility. They did not have the typical Cutters, they had Destroyers. Every now and then the Russian fishing boats would get too close to the Island. Even at the age I knew what was going on. I would be in School and hear the Destroyers 5 inch guns singing while they lobed shells over the Russian boats. The whole school would shake when those guns were in operation. It was not like today “lets escort them away BS” They sent a message. The US had a set of balls back then .They were the good old days before The Political correct society emerged.

    "Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

  5. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Riegelsville, PA
    Posts
    257
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    98
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    73
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Dep increases releases at cannonsville reservoir to facilitate necessary repairs

    Does anyone have more details on this. I have heard 1500 cfs release from Cannonsville for 3 weeks. Is that right? I guess I won't be going for smallies anytime soon then.


  6. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,962
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,649
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,112
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Chats
    3187
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts


    Re: Dep increases releases at cannonsville reservoir to facilitate necessary repairs

    Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    What is so vague about the excerpt? From what I read, the excerpt describes how unwanted hydraulic flows in the structure can transport martial through the system causing degradation of the structure. Am I correct in what I understood? The DEC states it could be ground water from the test holes. If so why is the Dam sitting on an aquifer? Wouldn’t that be a problem with the geological structure that the dam is constructed upon? That Dam has a big problem in either scenario. Perhaps the test holes presented a problem that went undetected and now can be addressed before any loss of life.

    MB you should know by now, I am thick skinned and attacking me to get under my skin is a lesson in futility. AK tried it on a few occasions and failed. What did get me in a tizzy; is your problem with so call old engineering methodology. My father was a Mechanical Engineer for NASA (yea a rocket engineer) in the 60s and 70s. He would design the part go out in the machine shop and make the part. That is what he did. He did not work on the big Saturn 5 but the smaller rockets that launched the so called “weather satellites”. He had no modern computer modeling or CAD system to find problems. He used a slide ruler and his head. He had to get it correct the first time. My father used a slide ruler all his life. So don’t underestimate antiquated engineering methodology. They built most of the structures in the world, not using a Computer but using their head.

    Not to get of the subject but when I was a kid Young 8-9 years old. I can remember the Cost Guard in Virginia. Their primary mission was to defend NASA’s Wallops Island facility. They did not have the typical Cutters, they had Destroyers. Every now and then the Russian fishing boats would get too close to the Island. Even at the age I knew what was going on. I would be in School and hear the Destroyers 5 inch guns singing while they lobed shells over the Russian boats. The whole school would shake when those guns were in operation. It was not like today “lets escort them away BS” They sent a message. The US had a set of balls back then .They were the good old days before The Political correct society emerged.
    Cool story Tom!!!

    Let's go easy on mudbug. He appears to have some insecurities so he lashes out from time to time

    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to MACFLY For This Useful Post:

    tomfly (07-22-2015)

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    428
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    69
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    145
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Dep increases releases at cannonsville reservoir to facilitate necessary repairs

    I am sorry Tomfly. I meant no disrespect. Must have forgotten to take my estrogen.

    I doubt that modern dam engineers consult the "Proceedings of the Michigan Engineering Society" from 1951. I suspect they rely on more recent sources. That's all I was saying.

    Cool story about your dad designing rockets with a slide rule.


  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    6,326
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,250
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,611
    Thanked in
    1,024 Posts
    Chats
    2016
    Groans
    4
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts


    Re: Dep increases releases at cannonsville reservoir to facilitate necessary repairs

    Quote Originally Posted by beeber View Post
    Does anyone have more details on this. I have heard 1500 cfs release from Cannonsville for 3 weeks. Is that right? I guess I won't be going for smallies anytime soon then.
    Although this story changes nearly daily and who you speak with, right now the plan is to draw the reservoir down to just the river's flow which is something like 2% to 3% capacity and to have that done via the 1,500 cfs max release through about mid August. If something shows that they do not have to continue this draw down, then they will stop it and fix anything in need of repair and then refill it. Right now, everything is speculation, but the plan is a total draw down.

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    968
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    237
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    106
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Dep increases releases at cannonsville reservoir to facilitate necessary repairs

    If they do total draw down in mid August, the river will be back in it's natural state..............not very good for the trout


  11. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hancock
    Posts
    553
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    18
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Dep increases releases at cannonsville reservoir to facilitate necessary repairs

    They are releasing to levels adequate to fix the problem whether its 3% or 75% is unknown.

    A good well with a trouble-free delivery system is more comfort than a healthy bank account... water will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no water.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •