Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    990 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Re: Bushkill Stream restoration news

Quote Originally Posted by trico mike View Post
    Rusty,that looks like it but it was in the water at a 45 degree angle and the water flowed under it and made a deep cut. The fish I used to catch were spectacular. Do me one favor if the satellite dish is still in th sharp bend up stream leave it. Some nice trout lived under that thing but the drift was tough

Too funny. Didn't notice it, but that doesn't mean it's not still there. Re: the log, I bet this is the one as it is completely water logged, but the river has shoaled where it is located due in part to channelization and the build up of the banks to thwart flooding as well as that darned bridge pier and some historic flows in events like Irene.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

I can't believe how much that downstream section has changed after giving your pic a closer look. The tail of that pool used to shallow into a riffle and would sweep left around and under that log it then would hit the left bank forming a nice deep run where I always found risers,then it would straighten out. That right channel and that little island were never there,that was all bank.

Beads? We don't need no stinkin beads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    990 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I can't believe how much that downstream section has changed after giving your pic a closer look. The tail of that pool used to shallow into a riffle and would sweep left around and under that log it then would hit the left bank forming a nice deep run where I always found risers,then it would straighten out. That right channel and that little island were never there,that was all bank.
    Thanks for that info. That's the kind of thing that is very helpful along with older aerial photos to get an idea of how best to restore a damaged reach to its former glory. Sometimes I get lucky and meet lots of anglers and neighbors that can give me great background and other times I have to make educated guesses.

(and if the satellite dish is missing, we'll put one back in there)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Rusty,I can probably draw u a detailed map of how it was when I fished it. From the ballfield bridge down to the end of the long slow pool. I can even put fish locations in for you. O used to get a lot of washed down rainbows in the upper area in the ledges behind the ballfield. The olives were epic in that stretch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 27 Times in 27 Posts

There are no wild trout there and the ones they put in all die off due to no cold water release.

To look good is to fish good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

It will be nice to see that stretch get some help. I used to fish it a lot. The sulphers by that fa bureau bridge were great and more then a few big browns were caught by that middle abutment. That slow water down below was always a good trico spot for me,and there used to be a big tree at the tail out in the water that held sole bruisers. I fished there after the first dewatering and was suprised how well the fish had come back. I haven't been back since the last dewatering. Is there any plans to keep this from happening again? That water does warm a bit because most of the springs don't come into the bushkill till you hit stockertown. I may hit it this year for tricos if temps are good. There is a lot of good stretches on the bushkill that could use some help. In its hey day pa electro shocked a 330 yard stretch and came up with 1500 fish. That's was down below crayola. The last shocking didn't get enough fish to maintain the class a status. I would love to see that creek returned to its former glory. Can't wait to see the plans,and some progress. Thanks.
    Mike... Why worry? Why do anything?... "The fish are always there and healthy. The fish will survive,that's my point." Sound familiar?

"That wasn't your fly... was it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    990 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NJFred View Post
    Sound familiar?
    Ah, no. That's not even comparing apples to oranges. That's more like comparing apples to shock absorbers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Fred,totally not the same. That water has been degraded do to several major floods. Then it went dry because of poor managment in a quarry up stream. We are talking about restoring a section of river not more water from a dam. A lot of good trout habitat has been lost there,and hopefully Rusty is able to fix it. I said I was on board with your plan for the D. My only point was where I fish the fish always seem to survive whether they migrate to colder water,or fond a seep to sit on. I have,never seen fish kills on the D due to thermal conditions,and I hope never to see them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fred,totally not the same. That water has been degraded do to several major floods. Then it went dry because of poor managment in a quarry up stream. We are talking about restoring a section of river not more water from a dam. A lot of good trout habitat has been lost there,and hopefully Rusty is able to fix it. I said I was on board with your plan for the D. My only point was where I fish the fish always seem to survive whether they migrate to colder water,or fond a seep to sit on. I have,never seen fish kills on the D due to thermal conditions,and I hope never to see them.
    Well Mike... Improving a fishery is improving a fishery. All of them required tender loving care... or else. We all do what we can do whether thats water to wet more of the riverbed, keep temps at a level where fish not only survive (never mentioned fish kills... you did) but thrive or improve the banks and structure within the river.

I do like the Bushkill and certainly hope those seeking to improve the situation are successful including making sure the quarry doesn't dewater the river.

"That wasn't your fly... was it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    990 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

One of you asked me the downstream boundary of our project and that will be the Newlins Mill Road bridge. Hope that answers that question. We will be surveying this stream either the week of June 22 or right after the July 4th holiday weekend and then we design and permit it after the survey is done. Because of the large grant that TU and the local stream conservancy are pursuing, this restoration isn't likely to happen until sometime in '17. If sooner, that would be a bonus. But realistically, the year after next. We hope to have the permit approved before this year is over.

Thread Information