Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    616 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 27 Times in 27 Posts

Nice people Ive met while fishing.

All to often we see the posts about some rude dolt that low holed us, crowded us. camped out on the boat launch etc. However I realized that there are more nice people i come across than bad while fishing. For instance, I had a fellow point out a rising fish to me last saturday and we had a nice conversation and he actually helped me see and hook it. Then there were two brothers from Bergan County NJ that were some of the most friendly i have met, showing me their 25 lbs of flies they carry (lol) and giving me a wet fly for the hatch. I could go on, just thought that all to often the rude or ignorant over shadow the many nice people we meet on the bank. What have you found to be true?

Similar Threads:
    To look good is to fish good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

Re: Nice people Ive met while fishing.

Tom, I thought this post was gonna be about me.

Selective amnesia causing you to forget some other nice guys, hmmm?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Believe it or not the SR has turned up many more positive encounters than negative.

My my first spring up there I was in the lower fly and a bunch of guys overheard me say I was a steelhead virgin and they bent over backwards to tweak my rigging and get me in the right spot that they had locked down. I landed my first steelhead there.

The best though is the constant nods and thumbs up when I have my kids standing next to me. People genuinely dig seein a kid tryin to hold on to the biggest fish they've ever hooked into on a fly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

I think the fly fishing community in general is pretty helpful and pleasant. I've had gentlemen cut off flies that they were having success with and given them to me. I've bs'd with countless old timers and young guns alike on the banks of rivers and standing on security lines at the airports when someone notices my fly rod traveling case - every one of those encounters have been fantastic (love hearing stories from the good ole days and love the 'fish stories' from the guys closer to my age).

It's not just the fly fishing community on the rivers, but also online. So many guys from this site and others seem to be so willing to lend a hand - hell I recently had someone send me a video of them tying one of their favorite flies and have had some what of a tying mentor even send me materials from his own collection.

Just one of the many reasons I love fly fishing. It may be a more solitary sport, but guys seem to come together to talk/bs/help/lend a hand

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Most of us see it as brotherhood. That is the way it should be viewed. Most fly fishermen see it that way, some do not but it is a small percentile that are all in it for themselves.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    371 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

With the exception of the Upper D, most people I run into (fly and spin) seem very cool. It is just fishing after all, and I enjoy exchanging and giving away flys, spending a minute or 2 bullshitting with someone out just chilling and fishing.

The Upper D seems to attract a good number of douchbags and mental cases though. I've had guys walk down a half-mile of empty prime water past rising fish to literally stand 6ft away from me, then follow me as I move away, serial-killer style. Guys in drift boats come right over rising fish that I'm casting at. Last Friday was the usual douche-show, however a certain guide and his client did notice how dehydrated I was and hooked a brotha up with some water and iced tea (I drank 8 bottles that day and it wasn't enough), so there are cool people too.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    Most of us see it as brotherhood. That is the way it should be viewed. Most fly fishermen see it that way, some do not but it is a small percentile that are all in it for themselves.

I don't know where you're all fishing. Especially you Tomfly. Where I fish I don't see that much brotherly love on the water. Course I don't spend Mother's day in New Hope, "with the family" like Mac.

I guess I've seen kind of an equal mix of the good and the bad on streams in the Poconos and Catskills. I wish everybody was as laid back and generous as the guys you're all talking about... when it happens, meeting people like that on the river vastly improves the experience.

But a lot of guys don't get it. They're selfish and competitive about their water, their flies, and their information. I think it's a personality issue. If you're a Dick throughout the rest of your sorry existence, no amount of fly fishing will make you less of a Dick.

(congrats if you were brave enough to click those links)

Fly fishing is no cure for being an asshole. If it were, we'd be nicer to worm dunkers and spin fishermen. Last year a bait fisherman got his tires slashed by a few fly guys at a West Branch river access. It's one of those things in life where just having the luxury to do it should make everybody a nice guy when they're on the river. But it doesn't.

Whatever. All I can say is if I see any of you assholes on the water, I'll give you whatever flies I'm fishing with. It's the least I could do. For real.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    I don't know where you're all fishing. Especially you Tomfly. Where I fish I don't see that much brotherly love on the water. Course I don't spend Mother's day in New Hope, "with the family" like Mac.

I guess I've seen kind of an equal mix of the good and the bad on streams in the Poconos and Catskills. I wish everybody was as laid back and generous as the guys you're all talking about... when it happens, meeting people like that on the river vastly improves the experience.

But a lot of guys don't get it. They're selfish and competitive about their water, their flies, and their information. I think it's a personality issue. If you're a Dick throughout the rest of your sorry existence, no amount of fly fishing will make you less of a Dick.

Fly fishing is no cure for being an asshole. If it were, we'd be nicer to worm dunkers and spin fishermen. Last year a bait fisherman got his tires slashed by a few fly guys at a West Branch river access. It's one of those things in life where just having the luxury to do it should make everybody a nice guy when they're on the river. But it doesn't.

Whatever. All I can say is if I see any of you assholes on the water, I'll give you whatever flies I'm fishing with. It's the least I could do. For real.
    The Cheneys really cause people like me - with brain lesions - tp think.

There's a great article from a Cheney on the hypocrisy of accepting those who dress in drag and not accepting those who like to put on blackface.

Well, here's the petition...

Petition Save The Delaware River System

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post

I don't want your damn flies....dick.....

No really, I have pretty much the same experience, not everyone I meet is nice and not everyone I meet is a dick......they are usually somewhere in between, I don't really like meeting the super nice guy who wants to talk for an hour and show me all their gear and flies, after all I am there to fish......hmmmmm, maybe I am one of those dicks you speak of.......

I enjoy a quick hello, and a short pleasant discussion, but if I want to talk all day, I'll go home and hear my wife......

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    ...but if I want to talk all day, I'll go home and hear my wife......
    let's not get crazy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    616 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    Tom, I thought this post was gonna be about me.

Selective amnesia causing you to forget some other nice guys, hmmm?
    Its not selective, its deliberate. I was talking about nice guys, not guys chasing me around the river wanting me to sign a petition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    616 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Nazi View Post
    With the exception of the Upper D, most people I run into (fly and spin) seem very cool. It is just fishing after all, and I enjoy exchanging and giving away flys, spending a minute or 2 bullshitting with someone out just chilling and fishing.

The Upper D seems to attract a good number of douchbags and mental cases though. I've had guys walk down a half-mile of empty prime water past rising fish to literally stand 6ft away from me, then follow me as I move away, serial-killer style. Guys in drift boats come right over rising fish that I'm casting at. Last Friday was the usual douche-show, however a certain guide and his client did notice how dehydrated I was and hooked a brotha up with some water and iced tea (I drank 8 bottles that day and it wasn't enough), so there are cool people too.
    Funny you say that, because the people I was talking about were on the upper D. I just think you a "glass half empty kinda guy" lol

Thread Information