Delaware River Club

View Poll Results: Would regulations for a mandatory guide make you change travel plans?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always use a guide when I leave my home waters

4 5.06%
  • I'd pay the guide and leave him in the pickup.

0 0%
  • Depends on the services/prices

43 54.43%
  • Forget it, ... I never use a guide and I'll go elsewhere

32 40.51%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Poll - Guides and travel plans

There is a bit of discussion in Quebec this winter. Nothing really solid yet, but there is talk about making it mandatory for a non-resident (of Quebec) to use guide services to fish for Atlantic Salmon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I have never used a guide. Not that I wouldn't use one, but I don't think I would hunt or fish anywhere I was required to use one.

Canada seems to be pretty adept at taking their citizen's rights away (no offense intended, just my perspective living in a state that relishes removing its' citizen's rights as well), It would not be surprising to see additional restrictions on visitors.

When I was up in the James Bay territory in 1997 after Caribou, I had heard that to hunt Moose in Quebec, one permit for one moose only was issued to two hunters, who both had to buy an individual license to share a single moose permit, and you were required to use a guide. I don't know if that is true or not, but it sounded very inconvenient and impractical.

I'd like to go back up there again (Caribou is delicious!) but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle these days. We were detained for two hours at the border going into Canada, and that was pre 9/11. All we told the customs guy was what he asked:

What is the reason for your visit? "Hunting Caribou"
    Do you have any firarms with you? "Yes"
    How many? "one rifle each"
    Are they semiautomatic rifles? "No, bolt action"
    How many rounds do the magazines hold? "5 rounds"
    How many rounds of ammunition do you have? "40 rounds"
    Any hollowpoint rounds? "No"

And then we were told to drive over to the office where our paperwork & customs declarations forms were examined, a background check done, and questioned about our motives to hunt caribou, etc.

And to make matters worse, even though we were on time, the caribou were late - still 100 miles north of us on the last day of the hunt.

Oh well, we did get a big bull out of a local herd, so it wasn't a total loss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Cool

Scott,

I haven't hunted since I left British Columbia, but I believe you're correct. Further, in the Abitibi region, instead of going 2 for 1 (permits vs moose), they did a different route. You can only hunt moose every two years. (Same as 2 for 1, but different).

I agree, Canada has a tendence (Quebec even more so) to regulate instead of letting markets run with common sense. For now, the idea was just floated around. I'm not sure how serious they were. I'll be in the capitol in the next few weeks and I have some meetings lined up with the gouvernement (forestry stuff). Happens that it's the same minister for wildlife, so I'll have a go at him at the same time.

I think the majority of the agents and guides are not really in favour of this idea. There is some discussion going on on another forum.

One can PM me and I'll give you the link to the forum in question.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    508 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fcch
    There is a bit of discussion in Quebec this winter. Nothing really solid yet, but there is talk about making it mandatory for a non-resident (of Quebec) to use guide services to fish for Atlantic Salmon.
    Upon finding out that a guide was required to fish anywhere, would deter me from ever fishing such a place. I would choose an alternate destination far away from Quebec. A guide should be an option, not mandatory.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I have not as of yet, ever hired a guide. What I usualy do when fishing a new area, is to find a local fly shop, spend a few bucks on flies, leaders, etc. (you can never have too many of either ) and get as much information as I can.

The only time I could picture myself using a guide would be a "trip of a lifetime", such as Brookies in Labrador, or a trip to Alaska. Otherwise, it's a luxury this poor working stiff can't afford.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thumbs up

Dennis, Rick, ...

Thanx for the input. It's not a formal survey, ... I just wanted some input from "non-residents". I personnaly don't think the proposition will go very far as even the Outfitters aren't all for it.

I fell that the angler should have the choice. They could go for a system like in BC, where (I believe) only some water is guide mandatory.

I'll kepp you posted...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Poll - Guides and travel plans

Depends on the area too. For me, if it is a new area I might hire a guide early in the trip and pick his brain on different areas/access points I should fish. If he is forthcoming with information it does influence my tipping. I may not be able to afford a guide for each day, so this is a method of getting some additional information.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Until about five years ago I never hired a guide. Now I hire one or two a year and they have been worth it. Learned new techniques and a lot about the local areas. Guides are really invaluable for places you need to get to in a boat (for a few times a year cheaper than owning a boat) and for places where the fishing/terrain is radically different from what you are used to. Being generally self reliant I feel awkward when the guide ties a fly on my line, but I am getting used to it.

Last year I took a week-long Atlantic salmon fishing trip to Newfoundland where it is required for non-residents to have a guide. The price was about $300 a day for the room, all meals, transportation, and guiding which I felt was a bargain. One difference up there is that there didn't appear to be any flyshops handy and you had to have all your tippet material and flies or you are out of luck. The guides didn't provide tackle or flies. The fishing wasn't so good last year, but I really enjoyed my time with the guides as that gave me a wealth of information about Newfoundland I probably wouldn't have got any other way. It was something I would do again, but would not be a regular stop. In salmon fishing you can get skunked for a week if the fish aren't in. I got two salmon all week - on the last day no less - and was the high hook for the week. I enjoyed the trip and will return some day, but would prefer a little more action. Plus, there are just too many places to visit.

The only downside was that I paired with another newbie to salmon fishing with the top guide (Newfoundland allows up to 2 people per guide). The guide was great, but the other sport wasn't a hardcore fisherman and didn't seem to want to walk more than 100' from the car. Since the fishing was so-so the guide was willing to hike up into the snowfields, buskwhack to waterfalls where a few little fished salmon may be lying, and generally get off the beaten path. I was up for it, but the other guy couldn't be convinced. If you head up there be sure to have a fishing partner with your same fishing habits. All the guides were good - what made the top guides was that they had an encyclopedic knowledge of every trickle in a 150 mile radius. The other guides had a handful of rivers they knew like the back of their hand, but the top guide had incredible knowledge of half the province that I wasn't able to take full advantage of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I haven't been to Canada in years to fish, and one reason was the requirement to have to use a guide to wade fish for brookies! Yes out west I usually hire a guide and split the cost when using a drift boat, but in Newfoundland it wasn't really neccessary. That and in Canada they seem to have two sets of prices...one for US citizens (higher) and one for everyone else!

In Ireland a guide was really important, because 99% of the rivers are owned by angling clubs, the gillie arranges all the permits, and knows where the access points are. Funny, that even with the dollar vs. euro rate of exchange, the use of a gillie to fish in Ireland is half that of a guide in the US. It was 100.00 a day Euro for a guide, and he drove, provided lunch (and at four o'clock tea). Not counting airfare, my last trip to Ireland cost about 1,200 US six nights lodging in a B&B, six day fishing both wade and boat, hit four locks for trout and pike, four rivers for trout.
    Never got back to the B&B before 10 pm. Got in to Dublin at 8:30 am on a Mondy and was on the Boynne River in Trim County Meath 30 miles northeast of Dublin by 12:00, flew out the following Sunday. Airfare to Dublin Round Trip was $50.00 less then flying to salt lake city, and then on to Jackson Wyoming and based on delays at the airport in SL, layover wait for the flight to Jacksonhole, the Dublin direct was two hours shorter!

Met some of the nices people in the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

fire 2009 update

Just for your info, ... the measures never passed. In Quebec, non residents don't need to use a Guide. (Good!).

If anyone is ever coming up "North", ... drop me a note and I'll see about sending you to some good water or at least get the best information possible to you.

Tight Lines!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm a licenced guide so I didn't vote in the poll. If I leave my home stomping ground, I have always found it beneficial to hire a guide. I always try to give the guide a good impression of what my objective is for the day and make it a point that I am ALWAYS looking to learn something new.

A word of advice, tell your guide exactly what you want, expect and what you can do for yourself. The two worst things a guide can do is work too hard or not hard enough. That said, those things both depend on what the client needs / expects.

I'm not for the idea of a manditiory guide. My objectives are to keep you safe, show you a good time & teach you enough to become self sufficient so you don't need me evertime you show up.
    DH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I fished New Brunswick for Atlantic Salmon a few times. All non residents of NB must have a guide to fish for Salmon, it's been that way for years. I guess the guys from Quebec are trying to get even. (Most New Brunswick people don't care for the Frogs from Quebec, and I guess the feeling is mutual.)

Bottom line is the prices for the week were reasonable, included cabin, guides and private water to fish. Guides were great and I will do it again. Other camps down river, which offered a little more luxury, were 4 times the price, and the water was not as good.

I go west every year for about 10 days and will float a couple of times each trip. I usually like to float during the first day or two (never on the weekend, too crowded). This gives me a quick update on whats working, and saves a lot of time. If I go back to the same river, same time of year, I might pass on the float, unless it is big water that you need to float to really fish properly.

I like to do it myself, and rarely will let the guide tie on my flies, etc. I will take their advice and instructions, since it is their home water. But I let them know that I like to do it myself and I am not a beginner.

Thread Information