Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 27
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    1060 West Addison, Chicago....
    Posts
    4,277
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,148
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    991
    Thanked in
    664 Posts
    Chats
    4391
    Groans
    27
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts


    Re: Ya shoulda been here yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    While all you guys were entertaining yourselves in the chat room circle jerk session yesterday afternoon/evening...

    Attachment 11645

    That's NOT snow flurries...
    Excuse your assumptions...I was working the drive-thru yesterday evening....

    "I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

  2. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sullivan County
    Posts
    1,806
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    78
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    105
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Chats
    1
    Groans
    4
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts


    Re: Ya shoulda been here yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    I guess maybe they were cahills, but they were more of a tannish than a yellowish color... if that helps any.

    I'd go along with the apple caddis and blue quill guess...

    There are no Cahills (Stenos) yet anywhere in the Catskills

    Those are light brachy's (apple caddis)

    This is what is hatching on the Delaware system

    Hatching: Apple Caddis #16-18 – Light Brachycentrus sp.
    Hendrickson – #14 – E. subvaria (male)
    Hendrickson – #12 – E. subvaria (female)
    Blue Quill – #16 – Paralep. adoptiva
    Quill Gordon #14 – Epeorus pluralis
    Blue Winged Olives #16 – 18 – Baetis vagans
    Little Black Caddis #18 – 20 – Dark Chimarra sp.
    Little Black Stoneflies #14 – 18 – Capnidae sp. and Taeniopteryx sp. -


  3. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Unadilla, New York
    Posts
    5,176
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    672
    Thanked in
    477 Posts
    Chats
    683
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts


    Re: Ya shoulda been here yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by JOE.T View Post
    There are no Cahills (Stenos) yet anywhere in the Catskills

    Those are light brachy's (apple caddis)

    This is what is hatching on the Delaware system

    Hatching: Apple Caddis #16-18 – Light Brachycentrus sp.
    Hendrickson – #14 – E. subvaria (male)
    Hendrickson – #12 – E. subvaria (female)
    Blue Quill – #16 – Paralep. adoptiva
    Quill Gordon #14 – Epeorus pluralis
    Blue Winged Olives #16 – 18 – Baetis vagans
    Little Black Caddis #18 – 20 – Dark Chimarra sp.
    Little Black Stoneflies #14 – 18 – Capnidae sp. and Taeniopteryx sp. -
    I'm not sure what the small tan mayflies were...
    but they weren't Hendricksons and they weren't Quill Gordons...

    And the large stonefly nymph shuck?

    John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

  4. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sullivan County
    Posts
    1,806
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    78
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    105
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Chats
    1
    Groans
    4
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts


    Re: Ya shoulda been here yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    I'm not sure what the small tan mayflies were...
    but they weren't Hendricksons and they weren't Quill Gordons...

    And the large stonefly nymph shuck?
    The large stone size 2/4 is an eastern salmon fly

    How small where the mayflies ? what color wings ? You didn't happen to notice how many tails ?

    Female Hendricksons can be smaller like 14 and have tan/pink bodies with dun wings, Subvaria X's are smaller 16 but are more like paraleps in color (redish).


  5. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,269
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,512
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    87
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts


    Re: Ya shoulda been here yesterday...

    Great thread.

    Let me recommend a nice rod n reel combo outfit for beginners from LL Bean.

    (So you can actually fish.)

    L.L.Bean--Free Shipping,100%Guaranteed.Ranked"Highest Customer Satisfaction among Online Apparel Retailers"by J.D.Power and Associate


  6. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    5,975
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,018
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,556
    Thanked in
    982 Posts
    Chats
    1921
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts


    Re: Ya shoulda been here yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    I'm not sure what the small tan mayflies were...
    but they weren't Hendricksons and they weren't Quill Gordons...

    And the large stonefly nymph shuck?
    John - you might have been seeing craneflies which look somewhat similar in flight to mayflies and which are tan or nearly yellow in color. They've been coming off here in NJ for plenty long enough to have started up your way by now. Good to know the bugs are popping. If today is overcast up there like here, I'm sure fishing is off the hook!

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  7. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    1060 West Addison, Chicago....
    Posts
    4,277
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,148
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    991
    Thanked in
    664 Posts
    Chats
    4391
    Groans
    27
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts


    Re: Ya shoulda been here yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    John - you might have been seeing craneflies which look somewhat similar in flight to mayflies and which are tan or nearly yellow in color. They've been coming off here in NJ for plenty long enough to have started up your way by now. Good to know the bugs are popping. If today is overcast up there like here, I'm sure fishing is off the hook!

    Rusty, I am going to respectfully disagree and say a gangly-ass crane fly looks nothing like a mayfly in flight.........BTW, it's raining in NJ right now, not very hard, but at least the ground is wet.....

    "I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

  8. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Unadilla, New York
    Posts
    5,176
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    672
    Thanked in
    477 Posts
    Chats
    683
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts


    Re: Ya shoulda been here yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by JOE.T View Post
    The large stone size 2/4 is an eastern salmon fly).
    Not that one... That one is WAY too big. This shuck was from a golden stonefly(or brown).

    Quote Originally Posted by JOE.T View Post
    How small where the mayflies ? what color wings ? You didn't happen to notice how many tails ?

    Female Hendricksons can be smaller like 14 and have tan/pink bodies with dun wings, Subvaria X's are smaller 16 but are more like paraleps in color (redish).
    They were 16 in size, I didn't grab one, they were popping out of the water. No drifting along... up, out and away. They were a light tan... not yellowish...

    John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

  9. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Unadilla, New York
    Posts
    5,176
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    672
    Thanked in
    477 Posts
    Chats
    683
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts


    Re: Ya shoulda been here yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    John - you might have been seeing craneflies which look somewhat similar...
    That hurts, Rusty...

    And LU pointing out that they look NOTHING like each other... just makes that wound even deeper...

    John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

  10. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,800
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,592
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,047
    Thanked in
    676 Posts
    Chats
    3059
    Groans
    27
    Groaned 32 Times in 32 Posts


    Re: Ya shoulda been here yesterday...

    If you really cared you would give him one of your expensive bamboo outfits. Isn't that the way it works in your version of nirvana?

    Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    Great thread.

    Let me recommend a nice rod n reel combo outfit for beginners from LL Bean.

    (So you can actually fish.)

    L.L.Bean--Free Shipping,100%Guaranteed.Ranked"Highest Customer Satisfaction among Online Apparel Retailers"by J.D.Power and Associate


    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  11. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,269
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,512
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    87
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts


    Re: Ya shoulda been here yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    If you really cared you would give him one of your expensive bamboo outfits. Isn't that the way it works in your version of nirvana?
    Oh Mac.

    As always, you win...

    And future fanatic too.


  12. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    1060 West Addison, Chicago....
    Posts
    4,277
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,148
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    991
    Thanked in
    664 Posts
    Chats
    4391
    Groans
    27
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts


    Re: Ya shoulda been here yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    That hurts, Rusty...

    And LU pointing out that they look NOTHING like each other... just makes that wound even deeper...
    \


    Well, I must say those little crane flies do seem to pop right out, and not drift along.....here on the SBR anyway......
    But they still don't look like a mayfly in flight.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cranefly.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	11650

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ephemeroptera-composition-flight.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	11651

    "I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •