Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Re: Wet Fly Help

If you have a hunter friend or neighbor, don't pass up an opportunity regardless of what kind of bird.

A few years ago I got a pheasant (minus the edible parts), and found plenty of feathers suitable for use as soft hackles.

Caution: When you get unprocessed feathers from "nature", there may be "bugs". Keep them in a sealed container separate from more expensive materials.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If you have a hunter friend or neighbor, don't pass up an opportunity regardless of what kind of bird.

A few years ago I got a pheasant (minus the edible parts), and found plenty of feathers suitable for use as soft hackles.

Caution: When you get unprocessed feathers from "nature", there may be "bugs". Keep them in a sealed container separate from more expensive materials.
    I like to kill things.. I was tempted to keep a bunch of feathers off some ducks I killed late last year but my problem was a) being new, wasn't sure which feathers would be good for what b) preserving the skin c) bugs like you suggested.

Taking a trout on a fly using all materials (minus hook and thread) you harvested would be pretty cool..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    297 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thursthouse View Post
    I like to kill things.. I was tempted to keep a bunch of feathers off some ducks I killed late last year but my problem was a) being new, wasn't sure which feathers would be good for what b) preserving the skin c) bugs like you suggested.

Taking a trout on a fly using all materials (minus hook and thread) you harvested would be pretty cool..
    Thouse, Thouse, thouse, you tossed the duck feathers? Tisk, tisk. What kind of ducks did you shoot? Some major duck feathers will always be flank and wing quills. By the way, the best feathers are from the late season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

I didn't have the supplies nor the ambition to preserve the skin on such short notice. I just pulled all the feathers off the carcass and put them in a plastic bag.

The wing and tail feathers are obvious, but i don't worry about what part of the bird the rest come from. I just rummage around, in the bag, until I find something that suits what I'm trying to do.

Re "Bugs": I hung the bags in an unheated garage over the winter, then added some moth balls... Some people advocate putting a "No-Pest Strip" in the bag...But I keep them separate from "store bought" materials anyway.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

Thursthouse (04-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    687 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I put them in the freezer(in plastic bags) for a few days, weeks, until my wife finds them and takes them out...never had a bug issue...

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by FIN-ITE 34 View Post
    Thouse, Thouse, thouse, you tossed the duck feathers? Tisk, tisk. What kind of ducks did you shoot? Some major duck feathers will always be flank and wing quills. By the way, the best feathers are from the late season.
    Mallards, teals and wood ducks..lesson learned.. they were delicous oven baked wrapped in bacon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    297 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Mallards, teals and wood ducks..lesson learned.. they were delicous oven baked wrapped in bacon
    What doesn't taste good with bacon. I even considered a bacon wrapped chocolate Easter bunny but never got near David Bradley's.

You had the big three for flank feathers. The mallard and teal are not that expensive to buy, but check the price on wood duck flank, crikey!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    687 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FIN-ITE 34 View Post
    What doesn't taste good with bacon. I even considered a bacon wrapped chocolate Easter bunny but never got near David Bradley's.

You had the big three for flank feathers. The mallard and teal are not that expensive to buy, but check the price on wood duck flank, crikey!
    Dip your bacon in maple syrup......Ruddy ducks make a nice parachute post, the black and white barred pattern is easy to see....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

In addition to all the other feathers mentioned, I use English snipe. I also use English Grouse and Woodcock but I have found the American varieties also are great for soft-hackles - stay close to the local hunters!

NJPB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thursthouse, do you pluck your ducks or skin them, skinning them is a lot easier and quicker. Never tried baking them wrapped in bacon but it sounds good. I still have a goose in the freezer I am going to try the bacon wrap. I use wood duck for may fly wings buy all the wood ducks I have shot have dark colored breast features, have shot any with of the light brown feathers.

Kendall
    Fishtracker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NJpatbee View Post
    In addition to all the other feathers mentioned, I use English snipe. I also use English Grouse and Woodcock but I have found the American varieties also are great for soft-hackles - stay close to the local hunters!
    So does it really not matter what bird it's from as long as its a game fowl? Seems like several different options - do they all have the same characteristics?

Everytime I hear about snipe it takes me back to good ole snipe hunting and makes me laugh

Thread Information