Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    625 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 28 Posts

Re: Fluorocarbon tippet...what are you using these days

I think you need either stiff or supple depending on what you want to do. However i dont buy into the invisibility hype that the fish are that smart. Were talking about the same fish that hit the tippet ring and orange Thigamabobber right?

To look good is to fish good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

I read an article a while back written by one of those guys that likes to scuba dive in a trout stream, and he said that in the water fluoro and mono looked exactly the same, at least to human eyes.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have ever seen a big fish raising and you could not get it to take your presentation, fish are smarter than you think.

Kendall
    Fishtracker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I switched to super strong also and haven't seen any change in hookup's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    687 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WBDluver View Post
    I think you need either stiff or supple depending on what you want to do. However i dont buy into the invisibility hype that the fish are that smart. Were talking about the same fish that hit the tippet ring and orange Thigamabobber right?
    I have often thought...if only I had put a hook on that damn thing....

fish are smarter than you think.
    Kendall

No they aren't......fish are not "smart".....Einstein was smart...fish are reactionary, stupid, conditioned, small brained, evolutionary works of art.......that is why we love them!!!!!!

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post

Kendall

No they aren't......NEFF Members are not "smart".....Einstein was smart...fish are reactionary, stupid, conditioned, small brained, evolutionary works of art.......that is why we love them!!!!!!
    Got your back..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Thursthouse For This Useful Post:

lightenup (04-15-2015)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Dluver get you facts straight before you comment. It was a yellow Thingamabobber.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    Stealth has given way to strength for me as the main consideration in recent years. In some conditions (glassy slow pools where it's near impossible to catch wild trout anyway), fluoro might be better I suppose. Although a more flexible tippet might give you more micro-drag, which is one of the biggest problems I have in these conditions.

But in all the other kinds of water I fish (stained, broken, fast), the possibility of not catching fish is way more tolerable than the big fish breaking off, which happens to me way too often.

I've just gotten tired of it - makes me feel like shit also for leaving a fly in a fish's mouth, and even if I bring the trout to hand, a stronger tippet allows for a quicker fight that gets the fish back in the water quicker.

So, I've been fishing Orvis super strong, which is a nylon tippet, and have been stretching Trico Mike's rule of thumb, trying to stay away from 6x-8x tippet in favor of 5x or 4.5x for dries and nymphs.
    I agree stealth in those slow crystal clear pools is a must to achieve any success. I Get down to 8X some times with 28 midges. I do it for the challenge that it presents not that I need to. I know from experience and observation that you do not have to forgo strength in a tippet to obtain stealth. The main problem with fishing dries in the slower moving pools is the effect of the tippets surface tension silhouette. I do not believe that any fish can see the tippet but if the tippet is floating with the fly the fish can see that disturbance in the surface tension that the tippet makes. I do a few things to try to circumvent this issue. Tippet material is very smooth and because of that it holds surface tension. I will always when I dry fly fish is; pull the tippet through my Leader Straightener.It will remove that smooth surface off of the tippet allowing it to brake the surface tension and sink into the water. If I am down to 7x or 8x I will put o bit of mud on my thumb and index finger and pull the tippet through the mud it does the same thing as the Leader Straightener, Another thing that I do is I tie my dries on from the bottom of the eye. This allows as little as possible tippet to be in the surface tension. I hope this helps.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess that why we spend so much and time trying to out smart them. Ha Ha Ha

Kendall
    Fishtracker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    625 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 28 Posts

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

its not that they are so bright as much as we over think things and don't do our part right. Put a worm on a hook present it at the correct depth and speed and they will take it every time. After thousands of years they still have not "learned" not to eat worms.

But what ever floats your boat. Im just one of those guys that does not believe in the "educated fish theory" one reads so much about in magazines.

To look good is to fish good

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

Maybe that's because you can only catch the uneducated (small) ones
    its not that they are so bright as much as we over think things and don't do our part right. Put a worm on a hook present it at the correct depth and speed and they will take it every time. After thousands of years they still have not "learned" not to eat worms.

But what ever floats your boat. Im just one of those guys that does not believe in the "educated fish theory" one reads so much about in magazines.

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

The Master has spoken. All fish are deemed to be stupid. This decree will begin henceforth. All heretics that do not comply will be punished accordingly. So it be told so it be done.

Thread Information