Hatch Outdoors
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 60
  1. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,101
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,684
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    800
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    215
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts


    Re: Saving the Chuitna River

    Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    Tom, I will try to explain my argument.

    First, I believe that oil and gas shouldn't be privately owned.

    Because, roughly speaking, these things are not created by men, they are resources that always have been there.

    Or have been there for a long, long time.

    I was surprised to hear emoussa argue that drilling technology, and innovations related to extraction, fuel our cars and heat our homes.

    He is incorrect about that.

    Perhaps he meant to say that oil and gas heat my home? And fuel my car?

    Because I don't need to thank anyone for the oil and gas that do those things.

    A man invented the car, before man invented a better fuel than oil and gas...

    Amazing how the cars keep getting better and better, but the fuel????

    Now, it is clear that oil is extracted. And the cost of extracting oil has decreased so much, that this oil out in the Dakotas and elsewhere, which has been known to exist for as long as I can remember, are now being extracted from the earth.

    This innovation is for extracting a natural resource.

    It is like a sharp tooth, in a shark, or a claw on an eagle or a bear.

    It has no moral significance, if it is necessary to make a kill, for the predator, or for man to extract oil he needs.

    I am not sure I'd give thanks to my claws, were I a tiger or a bear. Its hard to know what came first, the sharp teeth or the appetite for fresh meat....

    Now as to people, the oil is a natural resource, that we have needed for a relatively short period in our history.

    Oil as a resource has stopped political, social and economic progress wherever it is abundant.

    Like the Middle East.

    And Texas.

    The means of taking that resource is as much an innovation, I suppose, as a saber tooth in a tiger. It gets a job done.

    But once the beasts that the saber tooth had evolved to kill were extinct, the cat went extinct too.

    Our drilling technology will have no use, except incidental ones, after the resource either is used up or replaced. Perhaps we could use it to dig on asteroids, or on Mars? That would be cool, and innovative...

    But clearly, for our human mind to be designing teeth, to extract resources, like evolution created saber tooths...

    We can do better.

    How about if all the profits were applied to R & D for alternative energy, that did not cause climate change?
    GB your argument is a philosophical. Not scientific or from an engineering aspect. By you statement;

    "Because, roughly speaking, these things are not created by men, they are resources that always have been there.
    "

    Anyone can argue that all innovation could be considered public domain. furniture is made of trees, trees were not created by humans,. You can make an argument all things that are made of atoms, Atoms are a fundamental building block of all resources needed to produce goods. So everything ever engineered should be without a paten to protect it, because humans did not create the atoms excluding a few heavy elements. From a philosophical stand point I could go on forever with that argument.

    You can come up with something better then what an freshmen in high school on any debate team could make a point upon.

    Be a lawyer make a compelling argument to support your point.

    "Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

  2. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,268
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,487
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,512
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    87
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts


    Re: Saving the Chuitna River

    Tom, the biggest company in the world is Saudi Aramco.

    Why do you think its there?

    (It has nothing to do with innovation and creativity.... More to do with something that was already there for fucking ever...)

    I would not call the business of oil a good one. But it is a necessary one.

    Apple made iPhones, and IBM and Microsoft made the computer stuff that made GB Mag possible.

    Can you see how great innovation is like a fertile field of rich soil, and hot, steaming manure?

    I flourish in it.

    Seriously.

    I am grateful to the computer technology that just lets these creative geeks go crazy with ideas...

    And I loved watching the intel chips be improved every year, back in the day. And now I love watching the smart phones get better and better.

    I dont buy every new generation of phone, but I would if I could afford it. (I use a Note 3.)

    I like small businesses. That dude at River Song who makes nets, I gotta respect the dude and hope he makes a business of it.

    I do business with local guides. I think Joe D is the best, but there are others. Find someone who is working on the river. I actually think that Tobias will be a great guide, up in Alaska. There's real passion for the rivers in him.

    I sense it, the rivers are strong in that one...

    I also built a small website here, with a Jersey developer... Guy named Matt Novak, at Traverse Design Co.

    I try to associate myself with creative people.

    Now, what the fuck is it about oil that is creative?

    Its the most environmentally damaging, war causing, socially, politically, and economically retarding natural resource in the history of man.

    Now, you want to do good? Acknowledge that oil is not a creative enterprise, and stop treating the idiots who profit from it, like the King of Saudi Arabia and the Koch Brothers, as if they were innovators, like Steve Jobs at Apple, or me at GB Mag.


  3. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,853
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,612
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,077
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    3093
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts


    Re: Saving the Chuitna River

    Tom you nailed it in your first sentence. This is a philosophical or even better and ideological belief that beetle has. His position isn't based on reality
    Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    GB your argument is a philosophical. Not scientific or from an engineering aspect. By you statement;

    "Because, roughly speaking, these things are not created by men, they are resources that always have been there.
    "

    Anyone can argue that all innovation could be considered public domain. furniture is made of trees, trees were not created by humans,. You can make an argument all things that are made of atoms, Atoms are a fundamental building block of all resources needed to produce goods. So everything ever engineered should be without a paten to protect it, because humans did not create the atoms excluding a few heavy elements. From a philosophical stand point I could go on forever with that argument.

    You can come up with something better then what an freshmen in high school on any debate team could make a point upon.

    Be a lawyer make a compelling argument to support your point.


    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  4. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,268
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,487
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,512
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    87
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts


    Re: Saving the Chuitna River

    Quote Originally Posted by emoussa View Post
    Come on guy. A fishing guide taking risks but petroleum engineers don't?
    Well said.

    Unless you think the risk of causing an earthquake or contaminating the water supply as the type of "risk taking" you admire....


  5. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,268
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,487
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,512
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    87
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts


    Re: Saving the Chuitna River

    Let's help Tobias stop this crap...

    Anti-coal force takes on governor | Homer Tribune

    And if you haven't read the second issue of GB Mag, its online at http://goldenbeetle.net.


  6. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,853
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,612
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,077
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    3093
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts


    Re: Saving the Chuitna River

    Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    Well said.

    Unless you think the risk of causing an earthquake or contaminating the water supply as the type of "risk taking" you admire....
    Are you planning to demonstrate your opposition to fossil fuels in a meaningful way.

    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  7. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,268
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,487
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,512
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    87
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts


    Re: Saving the Chuitna River

    Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    Are you planning to demonstrate your opposition to fossil fuels in a meaningful way.
    I dont oppose fossil fuels.


  8. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,853
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,612
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,077
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    3093
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts


    Re: Saving the Chuitna River

    Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    I dont oppose fossil fuels.
    Spoken like a true lawyer

    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  9. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    630
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    107
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    195
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Chats
    11
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts


    Re: Saving the Chuitna River

    Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    Spoken like a true lawyer
    Like an unemployed lawyer


  10. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,101
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,684
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    800
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    215
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts


    Re: Saving the Chuitna River

    Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    Tom, the biggest company in the world is Saudi Aramco.

    Why do you think its there?

    (It has nothing to do with innovation and creativity.... More to do with something that was already there for fucking ever...)

    I would not call the business of oil a good one. But it is a necessary one.

    Apple made iPhones, and IBM and Microsoft made the computer stuff that made GB Mag possible.

    Can you see how great innovation is like a fertile field of rich soil, and hot, steaming manure?

    I flourish in it.

    Seriously.

    I am grateful to the computer technology that just lets these creative geeks go crazy with ideas...

    And I loved watching the intel chips be improved every year, back in the day. And now I love watching the smart phones get better and better.

    I dont buy every new generation of phone, but I would if I could afford it. (I use a Note 3.)

    I like small businesses. That dude at River Song who makes nets, I gotta respect the dude and hope he makes a business of it.

    I do business with local guides. I think Joe D is the best, but there are others. Find someone who is working on the river. I actually think that Tobias will be a great guide, up in Alaska. There's real passion for the rivers in him.

    I sense it, the rivers are strong in that one...

    I also built a small website here, with a Jersey developer... Guy named Matt Novak, at Traverse Design Co.

    I try to associate myself with creative people.

    Now, what the fuck is it about oil that is creative?

    Its the most environmentally damaging, war causing, socially, politically, and economically retarding natural resource in the history of man.

    Now, you want to do good? Acknowledge that oil is not a creative enterprise, and stop treating the idiots who profit from it, like the King of Saudi Arabia and the Koch Brothers, as if they were innovators, like Steve Jobs at Apple, or me at GB Mag.
    GB I know you are not a idiot. We have hung out. You are lashing out with out proper research.
    Here is a small sample size of the thousands of products that have some part of a barrel of oil in the products components

    Ammonia, anesthetics, antifreeze, anti-histamines ,anti-septics, artificial limbs, artificial turf asphalt, aspirin, awnings ,balloons ,ballpoint pens bandages. Basketballs, bearing grease , bicycle tires, boats , bubble gum, cameras, candle ,car battery cases ,car enamel ,cassettes ,caulking ,cd playes, cd's ,clothes ,clothesline ,cold cream ,combs , computers, cortisone ,crayons ,curtains, dashboards ,denture adhesive, dentures ,deodorant, detergents ,dice, ,dishes ,dishwasher detergent ,dresses ,drinking cups ,dyes ,electric blankets ,electrician's tape ,enamel ,epoxy ,eyeglasses ,fan belts ,faucet washers ,fertilizers ,fishing boots ,fishing lures ,fishing rods ,floor wax ,folding doors ,food preservatives ,football cleats ,football helmets ,footballs ,glycerin ,golf bags ,golf balls ,guitar strings ,hair coloring ,hair curlers ,hand lotion ,heart valves ,house paint ,ice chests ,ice cube trays, ink .insect repellent ,insecticides , life jackets, linings ,linoleum ,lipstick, luggage , medicines, model cars ,mops ,motorcycle helmet ,movie film ,nail polish ,nylon rope ,oil filters ,paint, paint brushes ,paint rollers ,panty hose ,parachutes ,percolators , perfumes ,petroleum jelly ,pillows ,plastic wood ,purses ,putty ,refrigerant ,refrigerators ,roller skates ,roofing ,rubber cement ,rubbing alcohol ,safety glasses ,shag rugs ,shampoo ,shaving cream ,shoe polish ,shoes ,shower curtains ,skis, slacks, soap, soft contact lenses, solvents, speakers, sports car bodies, sun glasses, surf boards, sweaters, synthetic rubber, telephones, tennis rackets, tents, tires, toilet seats, tool boxes, tool racks, toothbrushes, toothpaste ,transparent tape, trash bags ,tv cabinets ,umbrellas ,upholstery ,vaporizers ,vitamin capsules ,water pipes ,wheels ,yarn.

    Even if do not you agree with the petroleum industry. Your life would suck without it. There is very little waste from a barrel of Oil 99.9% is used in some way, This is one of the problems I have with your point. It one sided and only argues the bad that the Oil industry has done to prove a point that it is not innovative industry. But there is another side that has nothing to do with Climate change and make everyday life bearable for most people. GB there is always 2 sides to every coin and both sides need to be examined before a conclusion can be determined.

    "Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

  11. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    4,253
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,176
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    900
    Thanked in
    552 Posts
    Chats
    826
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts


    Re: Saving the Chuitna River

    All I know is that tearing up 11 miles of a river with wild salmon and taking 100% of the water out of that section of river is a dumb idea.

    There are THREE active coal mines in Alaska. There is no need to make the fourth one cut through 11 miles of a river with wild salmon stocks. Especially a river with king salmon in it. The king salmon numbers in Cook Inlet are not what they used to be, and taking out 11 miles of spawning habitat, sticking an open pit coal mine in the head waters, and de watering a huge section of the river is not a good idea.

    They need to look else where to build their coal mine. Maybe PacRim should start by looking in their home state of Delaware.

    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

    http://www.savebristolbay.org/

    REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

    http://www.roehard.com

    http://www.glsteelheadco.com




  12. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,268
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,487
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,512
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    87
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts


    Re: Saving the Chuitna River

    Quote Originally Posted by CTobias View Post
    All I know is that tearing up 11 miles of a river with wild salmon and taking 100% of the water out of that section of river is a dumb idea.

    There are THREE active coal mines in Alaska. There is no need to make the fourth one cut through 11 miles of a river with wild salmon stocks. Especially a river with king salmon in it. The king salmon numbers in Cook Inlet are not what they used to be, and taking out 11 miles of spawning habitat, sticking an open pit coal mine in the head waters, and de watering a huge section of the river is not a good idea.

    They need to look else where to build their coal mine. Maybe PacRim should start by looking in their home state of Delaware.
    Good stuff.

    Agreed.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 9

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •