Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

What flies do you tye?

When I first got my vice I tried tying every different pattern I thought looked 'cool'. As I've reorganized my fly boxes for the up coming season, I started tying fewer patterns but more of the flies that I have confidence in so that I won't run out of them. I'll continue to try new (to me) flies, but I'm curious as to what flies you more experience tyers fill your boxes with. Bigger variety or more patterns that you find reliable?

Similar Threads:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    687 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Re: What flies do you tye?

I carry too many patterns because I always end up using the same ones...Pheasant tail, pheasant tail soft hackle, iris caddis, caribou caddis, sparkle dun, bird's nest, zebra midge, some classic catskill dries(those really work well during the sulphur hatch).....gold ribbed hares ears, zebra midge, little small black dries, and really small assorted color parachutes....
    oh and Lafontaine sparkle pupae

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    625 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 28 Posts

i too used to run out and buy materials for a latest "hot" fly but have since settled down. I am not a believer in the "educated fish" and have found a Royal Coachman still works today the same as it did 100 years ago. Even on those places were fish are supposed to have a collage degree. So its a lot of stuff like the Adams, Spinners in three different colors, Sulphers, olives. Its all about the color and size to me anymore.

To look good is to fish good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I carry tons of shit. I find what worked great one year may not work as good the next. My go to patterns are brushed shuck emergers,carry specials and anything in a parachute.

Beads? We don't need no stinkin beads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I tie and carry a lot of flies, some which get used on 1 or 2 outings, others that are always at the ready. Rather than list all the variations, colors, and sizes, I will list the type of flies that are must haves for me:

Streamers: Dick Talleur's version of the Black Dace and the Grey Ghost

Wet flies: 95% soft hackles with my best producers being the thoraxed partridge & orange and tups indispensible

Nymphs: Bead Head GRHE, Copperhead (Simply a copper bead head copper-ribed hare's ear with an empahisis on the brown fur. Copper John, caddis pupa with ice dub, and BH Musky Shrimp round out my most used nymphs.

Dry Flies: Several types - Catskill dries for many early spring hatches, Marinaro's winged thorax dun for difficult trout, Barr's Vis-A-Dun, and Leonard Wright's Fluttering Caddis (I tie 10 different patterns of different sizes). From late March through Thanksgiving the Fluttering Caddis takes more trout than any other pattern. For Spinners, I tie lightly dressed poly winged patterns. Midges, size 20 - 24.

Terrestrials - McMurray's Ant (balsa) and Letort Hopper.

I carry many variations and colors of the above flies, and many more secondary patterns. There are 600+ flies in my vest at any given time, but they fit into 5 fly boxes of different sizes but are light and easy to carry.

NJPB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WBDluver View Post
    Even on those places were fish are supposed to have a collage degree.
    I like what you did there... (hope it was intentional)

Intersting to see the style differences...I think it's what makes fly fishing fun/intersting is that a) not one size fits all and b) you will continue to adapt and try different techniques (in all aspects of the game)

NJpatbee, I need a lesson on organizing and storing flies.. I dont carry around that many flies and yet I carry 4 fly boxes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm with u still figuring shit out.

My game plan for the year is to have an all around nymphing box that'll keep me covered year round and tie seasonly for dries rather than try to carry everything all the time.

Nymphs/emergers: GRHE, holy grail, PT's, soft hackle PT's, zebras, SOS, princes, stones, Utah killer bugs and anything new that catches my eye.

drys I'm gonna make it a point to learn more about what's out when and be more specific about what I'm carrying. Last year I nymphed way too much, this year I'm gonna try n snob it up a bit n stay on top more.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sunsignarcher For This Useful Post:

flyI4 (03-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I carry one fly box and it's usually half full. I always end up using the same things.. prince nymphs, hares ears, pts, snowshoe rabbit emergers in diff colors, partidge soft hackles, elk hair caddis.

I've been telling myself to sit down and start tying since december and have yet to actually follow through.

I need to learn to tie lafontain type caddis nypmhs..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    687 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emoussa View Post

I need to learn to tie lafontain type caddis nypmhs..
    Yeah, I agree, I can't tie those sparkle poopas.....The little bubble is next to impossible to get to look right, but the ones I do tie, that look like nothing in the books, or Grobert and Tim's videos....they actually look like a tangled mess of antron still seem to catch fish.....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Over the years I've found that a mix of nymphs, emergers and a few streamers almost always catch fish. I'm not the greatest tyer and like to keep is simple.

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I hate tying flies but will make the stuff that u usually cant find in the shops. That includes floating nymphs and other simple/ugly looking emerger patterns that don't look like much on a hook but are needed for tough fish that are rising in the film. I'll buy the comparaduns and other well known patterns in the shop and usually they work fine. I also like tying my own spinner patterns because most shops either have ones that don't float well at all or lack the variety of spinner patterns that I like to have. Need several spinner patterns when fishing for tough fish in my opinion, and of course the one that floats like a cork at the end of the evening hatch even though it looks horrible. The fish will still eat it and I an see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

I like to tie, but apparently I won't need to tie too many Hendricksons the way things are shaping up. I've tied my unsinkable spinner (patent pending), and am currently tying up a custom order of parachutes for someone. I no longer guide, I'm a custom fly tier now.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thread Information