Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

Re: What flies do you tye?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattybugs923 View Post
    I have been filling two new Tacky Fly boxes this winter. The first, I just finished. It's filled with midges, nymphs, larva, and my go to sub-surface flies. I also added some new flies that I have been wanting to try like Higa's SOS and Mercer's bubble caddis to name a few. If you haven't checked out Tacky Fly boxes, you are missing out. I started filling a new dry fly box and they hold size 20's with no problem. Almost done with the second box but I only get to tie about 3 flies a night with a 3 month old keeping me busy!!Attachment 11539Attachment 11540Attachment 11541Attachment 11542
    Arent you the guy that caught that state record rainbow trout?

I'd like you to make some tying videos, cuz those look nice.

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    Dude, I don’t get this statement at all. Especially the “I on to you to you now BS”. What exactly are you on to? You need a reality check and I get the; You can hide behind your keyboard thing and say what you want to make yourself look good” (more BS).

Now here is your reality check. When you do a tour of duty in Afghanistan, I think you are smart enough that I do not need to elaborate the implications of what that is. Then you can say what you want about Chris’s “Fly Fishing techniques” until then I don’t think you possess the right to be critical on any way he chooses to catch a trout. If he wants to place explosives on the end of his tippet to catch a fish, the only thing that should come out of you fingers when you type is Thank you.
    Tom- you took my post way too seriously and once again brought your politics onto a flyfishing forum, and this time in a manner that is in no way even remotely related to the subject matter being discussed on the thread. "I am on to you now" might have been the most sarcastic part of the post so the fact that you were especially set off by that remark is odd and you need to chill out. This forum is ballbusting on a daily basis but I guess your "OOH RAH" attitude prevented you from understanding that on this post. If you want to talk about war and fly fishing I suggest you contact the healing waters program. Over and out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by moosekid View Post
    I like this thread. I'm taking the sunsignarcherr route and creating an army of shit I KNOW i'll use. So far it's as follows...

For PTs, GRHEs, and Princes -- I've tied 16 flies (8 standard, 8 with a gold bead) in each size -- sizes 12 - 20.....

I've got a question for the utilitarian tiers on this board.

I'm not a tier. I don't have the time or money. There will be plenty of time to tie when I'm retired. At least that's the idea.

I'm also kind of a minimalist - I stick to a handful of patterns at any given time and focus on presentation. When my go-to flies stop catching fish, which happens in July on the rivers I frequent, I stop fishing for trout and switch to smallies, partly because I couldn't be bothered to try to find exactly the right crippled sulfur emerger pattern. I'd rather chuck streamers at bass, who generally aren't picky.

But I'm also cheap, and don't want to spend a lot of money on flies.

So here's my question. If I have basically no interest in tinkering with variations or learning to tie beautiful flies, at least for now, does it make any sense at all to get into the game only in order to tie basic "guide flies" before each season and save some money? Or should I just keep buying cheap flies over the internet? Is learning to tie for strictly economic reasons a good move?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    297 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post

I'm not a tier. I don't have the time or money. There will be plenty of time to tie when I'm retired. At least that's the idea.

I'm also kind of a minimalist - I stick to a handful of patterns at any given time and focus on presentation. When my go-to flies stop catching fish, which happens in July on the rivers I frequent, I stop fishing for trout and switch to smallies, partly because I couldn't be bothered to try to find exactly the right crippled sulfur emerger pattern. I'd rather chuck streamers at bass, who generally aren't picky.

So here's my question. If I have basically no interest in tinkering with variations or learning to tie beautiful flies, at least for now, does it make any sense at all to get into the game only in order to tie basic "guide flies" before each season and save some money? Or should I just keep buying cheap flies over the internet? Is learning to tie for strictly economic reasons a good move?
    "Plenty of time before I die". Yikes man, I could get run over by a bus this afternoon!
    For me, tying is the creative part of fly fishing and it's always a plus to catch a nice fish on something you created. I tie for fishing, not display. I figure that any fly I tie has the potential to be stuck on a rock or in a tree and don't mess with perfect. Although I do try to be neat and tidy when at the vice, I just don't get wigged out if I have a hackle out of place.

When you buy flies, I think you are more apt to buy fewer patterns. If you tie, there is that potential to tie more patterns than are needed. I twist up all sorts of new patterns, but in the end fall back on my old standards that seem to catch fish most times.

That now is for trout fly tying. With pike flies, all bets are off. I could spend hours at the vise thinking up new material and color combinations. Pike flies are just a blast to spin up.

Go with the guide fly tying and you will eventually get sucked down the slippery slope that the rest of us have fallen to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

I'm still new to the game, but personally I dont think you should make the jump for economic reasons... Can you save money over time? I'm sure...especially if you stick toa few specific patterns and just buy the materials for those. But it sounds like it will be more of a chore than something that you enjoy, and if that's the case, what's the point?

I've spent a ton of cash on fly tying materials and tools (and again, I'm still new), but at the same time I can't wait until the next time I sit down and either fill up my fly boxes or experiment trying something thats new to me. The one thing that I really like about tying is being able to sit down and tye exactly what I want when I want. Going fishing tomorrow? Just read a report the sulfurs are coming off? Bang out a couple sulfur patterns the night before and off I go in the AM..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Thursthouse For This Useful Post:

NJpatbee (03-24-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like Thursthouse said....I enjoy tying what I want to tie. Of course I started by following recipes but I enjoy coming up with original patterns more and more now. I understand that tying can get expensive but I usually pick up about $20 of material each trip to the store. Believe me it adds up and I now have more material than I know what to do with. I actually spend more time finding materials that I need than I do tying. But that's the fun of it and it keeps me occupied throughout the winter months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Thursthouse View Post
    The one thing that I really like about tying is being able to sit down and tye exactly what I want when I want. Going fishing tomorrow? Just read a report the sulfurs are coming off? Bang out a couple sulfur patterns the night before and off I go in the AM..
    That does have a certain appeal, I admit. As some of you guys know, I have a little house on a river upstate, and on evenings in May and June, I don't have to visit the fly shop to get hatch reports. I just see what's on the screen door below the floodlight and it tells me everything I need to know about what to throw the next day. It would be cool to be able to just tie up a reasonable imitation of whatever is stuck to my house on a given night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    687 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

That does have a certain appeal, I admit. As some of you guys know, I have a little house on a river upstate, and on evenings in May and June, I don't have to visit the fly shop to get hatch reports. I just see what's on the screen door below the floodlight and it tells me everything I need to know about what to throw the next day. It would be cool to be able to just tie up a reasonable imitation of whatever is stuck to my house on a given night.
    I have two small stream by my house...I have a light where the bugs congregate as well......The hatches are close to what is coming off in the rivers but sometimes throw a curveball or two as the creeks are small and fast and probably a different temperature from the rivers.....For example, I had LBS all over my house a week ago, but no reports of them from the sbr or Musky.... One of the creeks holds trout, I fish it regularly, the other I am not sure of as it passes through private property, but it does produce some spectacular bugs.....maybe I'll knock on some doors this year....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

Its a question of temperment...

Some folks can sit and tie and be meticulous...

And others have some adhd...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I have been tying flies for over 40 years and in addition to allowing me to make my flies exactly as I like them, I find it one of the most relaxing and enjoyable activities that I do. I do the majority of my tying from December through early March, and in a way I never stop fly fishing.

NJPB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

is learning to tie for strictly economic reasons a good move?

noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunsignarcher For This Useful Post:

mudbug201 (03-24-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Thursthouse pretty much nailed it. The ability to immediately replenish everything you lost during a day of fishing is also pretty damn nice.

I don't lose many dry flies and as a result, 80% of the flies I tie up are nymphs.

If you wanna tie PTs, GRHEs, and Princes -- you only need pheasant tail, peacock, hares ear dubbing, fine gold wire, goose biots, and 7/0 olive danville.

You'll end up spending most of your money on hooks.

This year, I'm saving tons of money tying flies because I ordered my hooks through a commercial tier. 5$ per 100 hooks.

Lacey: Where'd you get that pistol?
    Blevins: At the gettin' place.

Thread Information