Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

Re: What flies do you tye?

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    I hate tying flies but will make the stuff that u usually cant find in the shops. That includes floating nymphs and other simple/ugly looking emerger patterns that don't look like much on a hook but are needed for tough fish that are rising in the film. I'll buy the comparaduns and other well known patterns in the shop and usually they work fine. I also like tying my own spinner patterns because most shops either have ones that don't float well at all or lack the variety of spinner patterns that I like to have. Need several spinner patterns when fishing for tough fish in my opinion, and of course the one that floats like a cork at the end of the evening hatch even though it looks horrible. The fish will still eat it and I an see it.
    What types of spinners do you need to have in your fly box? Just the same pattern in different colors/sizes or do you carry different types of spinner patterns (not counting the abomination night spinner you alluded)

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I think its important to have different types of spinner patterns, not just different sizes. I like having hackle wing spinners (which work well during a hatch when fish are fussy or keying in on crippled duns as they often do) , I like having the typical antron wing spinner for evening hatches, and a couple cdc wing patterns that are good for a fish or two before they get ripped to shreds but also work well during the hatch when fish are tough. Also- I find a biot body spinner is a very realistic pattern when tied with a hackle style wing. these are not the easiest to see but the fish love them. A spinner works well in all scenarios in my experience, not just during the spinner fall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I like this thread. I'm taking the sunsignarcherr route and creating an army of shit I KNOW i'll use. So far it's as follows...

For PTs, GRHEs, and Princes -- I've tied 16 flies (8 standard, 8 with a gold bead) in each size -- sizes 12 - 20.

Copper Johns and Zebra Midges -- 16 flies (8 standard, 8 tungsten bead) in each size -- sizes 18 - 22

I've been messing around with the caddis patterns from the other thread but have yet to mass produce them. Gotta get more comfortable. Plus i'm kinda burned out at this point. I have an army of dries that I didn't use much last summer so i'm just gonna call it like I see it when i'm tying those up.

I feel like i'm gonna end up spending 90 percent of my season in the Gorge. I'll constantly be within walking distance of my tying bench and I can always just walk there if I feel grossly unprepared..

Lacey: Where'd you get that pistol?
    Blevins: At the gettin' place.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Caddis Caddis and more Caddis. In the early part of the season (April –early May) one of my go to flies while Nymphing is the Rhyacophila larva. The Rhyacophila is one of the Caddis species that do not build a case. They are carnivorous and are free crawlers that live under rocks and logs. I know for a fact that The South Branch is loaded with them. The trout gorge themselves on them. I tye a very simple pattern for them that is very effective. I have found a lot of them an inch or longer in length and they have very thin body. So I use a 4X size 12 hook. For the body I use a very thin noodle of olive dubbing over olive thread just coat the thread with it. One wrap of peacock hurl for a head. When you fish it put on the bottom in fast water.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

TR is offline "You can observe a lot just by watching." Y. Berra
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    Caddis Caddis and more Caddis. In the early part of the season (April –early May) one of my go to flies while Nymphing is the Rhyacophila larva. The Rhyacophila is one of the Caddis species that do not build a case...
    ------

Yes.

And, try the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r88I3SRvdvg

Tight lines.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TR For This Useful Post:

tomfly (03-21-2015), WBDluver (03-21-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    552 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts

I found that tying flies with hooks big enough to hold bait works best. This way I only have to tie a few flies, which allows for a smaller fly box, and in turn allows me to carry more bait.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

http://www.savebristolbay.org/

REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

http://www.roehard.com

http://www.glsteelheadco.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CTobias For This Useful Post:

flyI4 (03-22-2015)

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ctobias are u a dirty mixed method angler who has yet to exclusively commit to the fly? It takes a bait slinger to even come up this idea of yours and I am on to you now. Alaska is probably contributing to this since no one is purely a fly fisherman out there. A little pinning, a little down rigging, a little fly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    298 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

A little TNT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    552 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts

Ctobias are u a dirty mixed method angler who has yet to exclusively commit to the fly? It takes a bait slinger to even come up this idea of yours and I am on to you now. Alaska is probably contributing to this since no one is purely a fly fisherman out there. A little pinning, a little down rigging, a little fly.
    No need to limit yourself to one technique.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

http://www.savebristolbay.org/

REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

http://www.roehard.com

http://www.glsteelheadco.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Dude, I don’t get this statement at all. Especially the “I on to you to you now BS”. What exactly are you on to? You need a reality check and I get the; You can hide behind your keyboard thing and say what you want to make yourself look good” (more BS).

Now here is your reality check. When you do a tour of duty in Afghanistan, I think you are smart enough that I do not need to elaborate the implications of what that is. Then you can say what you want about Chris’s “Fly Fishing techniques” until then I don’t think you possess the right to be critical on any way he chooses to catch a trout. If he wants to place explosives on the end of his tippet to catch a fish, the only thing that should come out of you fingers when you type is Thank you.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	escalated quickly.gif 
Views:	317 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	11538

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been filling two new Tacky Fly boxes this winter. The first, I just finished. It's filled with midges, nymphs, larva, and my go to sub-surface flies. I also added some new flies that I have been wanting to try like Higa's SOS and Mercer's bubble caddis to name a few. If you haven't checked out Tacky Fly boxes, you are missing out. I started filling a new dry fly box and they hold size 20's with no problem. Almost done with the second box but I only get to tie about 3 flies a night with a 3 month old keeping me busy!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image5.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	11539Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image4.JPG 
Views:	292 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	11540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.JPG 
Views:	269 
Size:	357.9 KB 
ID:	11541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	11542

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mattybugs923 For This Useful Post:

sunsignarcher (03-24-2015)

Thread Information