Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 24 Posts

Point Mountain TCA river channel restoration plan photos

Here is a photo of the upper, middle and lower reaches we plan to restore March 10-14 if the weather cooperates. Right now, the snow cover on the ground is our only obstacle, but next week and the following week we think we'll see some thawing. We need to grub boulders off the Hunterdon Park's hillside for the project, otherwise, working in a heated machine in the river doesn't matter if it remains cold. Flows are actually low right now.

upper stretch below nice riffles:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PtMtn upper.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	398.9 KB 
ID:	11459

middle stretch where it is very wide and an island (medial bar) sets up in low flows:

Name:	PtMtn middle.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	408.3 KB 
ID:	11460

lower stretch just above the "S-Bend" with badly eroding banks:

Name:	PtMtn lower.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	388.8 KB 
ID:	11461

Restoration site plan overhead:

Name:	Point Mtn_Page_3 resized.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	11457

Two of the cross sections of the channel showing existing and post-restoration views:

Name:	Point Mtn_Page_6resized.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	11458

Similar Threads:
    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    688 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Re: Point Mountain TCA river channel restoration plan photos

Well Rusty...since this will be your swan song...make it a good one!!!!!

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    Well Rusty...since this will be your swan song...make it a good one!!!!!
    Actually, I have 3 more Musky watershed projects to wrap up that I began as a TU staffer other than this one. One is West Portal Brook, a wild brookie trib in Asbury which we will do right after Point Mountain, one is on Lubber's Run, a big trib in the upper watershed, and then there is the Wattles Tract which is immediately downstream of Point Mountain Road bridge. That last one will be great and I hope will take some pressure off the TCA above it when we restore 3/4 of a mile over a 1 mile reach down to the Mannon farm on state land known as the Wattles Tract (part of the Musconetcong River WMA). We have to leave about 1/4 mile alone as it has a state endangered dragonfly nymph population located there. That should come off between summer and fall of this year, thanks to our friends at NJ Audubon who qualified for Farm Bill funds even though it is public land. They are managing it for the state which gave us the loophole we needed to get the funding which is awesome. I need to give kudos to our friends at Theodore Gordon Flyfishers as well for a generous grant they gave TU to help with survey, design and boulders for Wattles without which we wouldn't be able to pull that one off. I wish I did almost only public lands projects so all anglers could benefit, but that's not always the case.

Either way, it will be good to do Point Mountain because it got multiple delays over the last 6 years and is now coming to fruition.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty Spinner For This Useful Post:

flyI4 (02-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

So far, we're on for Tuesday, March 10 - the 13th. Finally!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Still in total limbo......no word from DEP Land Use Regulation and the Division of F&W's lands management review is not yet complete with both DEP agencies closed today for the Snowmeggedon part XXVII

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Bureaucrats taking their time on an approval . Gee that the first time I heard of that happening.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    Bureaucrats taking their time on an approval . Gee that the first time I heard of that happening.
    That's not it, everything is approved. It's just that NJDEP Land Use Regulation made a mistake on the exclusion dates when they issued the permits and the Division forgot to perform the lands management review since part of our work is on Division land (the rest on Hunterdon Park land as the river is split 50/50). Yet the Division fully signed off on the DEP permit.....

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

Oh so tHey aren't lazy just incompetent

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    That's not it, everything is approved. It's just that NJDEP Land Use Regulation made a mistake on the exclusion dates when they issued the permits and the Division forgot to perform the lands management review since part of our work is on Division land (the rest on Hunterdon Park land as the river is split 50/50). Yet the Division fully signed off on the DEP permit.....

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    Oh so tHey aren't lazy just incompetent
    And yet the left still believes that more government is the solution to all of our woes. It truly amazes me! My only thought is that these liberals don't ever interact with the government to know the gross incompetence at nearly every level of local, county, state, and federal government. I have had to deal with each of those levels in my job and quite often, so I see how poorly things run on all levels. And the higher up the chain such as the federal level, the more f-ed up it gets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

And yet the left still believes that more government is the solution to all of our woes. It truly amazes me! My only thought is that these liberals don't ever interact with the government to know the gross incompetence at nearly every level of local, county, state, and federal government. I have had to deal with each of those levels in my job and quite often, so I see how poorly things run on all levels. And the higher up the chain such as the federal level, the more f-ed up it gets.
    Better wait til you get all your approvals/permits and work done before you bash our fine public employees.

I'm a project engineer for a construction company so I interact with quite a few government entities. Unfortunately, I know what you're talking about. My solution is to do as much of their job for them as you can legally do and then smile, kiss ass and pray they can lift their arms high enough to stamp something for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by emoussa View Post
    Better wait til you get all your approvals/permits and work done before you bash our fine public employees.
    I hear what you are saying, but the only positive changes I've ever seen to any governmental practices have been when I or others were publicly critical of those poor existing practices. And yes, I often get calls on my cell from "higher ups" asking what they could do differently moving forward. I fear no government bureaucrat. That's probably because I follow rules, even when the rules make no sense. And each of the people I am dealing with recognize their inefficiencies and mistakes. It is often not the person, but rather the bad processes that cause these issues.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

I hear what you are saying, but the only positive changes I've ever seen to any governmental practices have been when I or others were publicly critical of those poor existing practices. And yes, I often get calls on my cell from "higher ups" asking what they could do differently moving forward. I fear no government bureaucrat. That's probably because I follow rules, even when the rules make no sense. And each of the people I am dealing with recognize their inefficiencies and mistakes. It is often not the person, but rather the bad processes that cause these issues.
    It is the same in Corporate America. Some idiot comes up with a new policy or procedure that over rides the ones were in place, that were working just fine. I think they come up with some new untested way to accomplish tasks , to justify their existence to the higher ups. Example: The company rolled out new biometric login system in for the computer systems. Latterly with in hours of the roll out . The Network security staff in which I am a part of were able to circumvent the new log in procedure and hack into a users computer and gain access to the network.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thread Information