Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: Late Hatch Prediction

I also say we see some Hendrickson hatches on the upper Delaware system around the 20th. Probably a couple days earlier on the Upper East and Neversink.

No late hatches this year!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    714 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by WBDluver View Post
    My solunar table of insect reproduction ( which can be purchased at WBDluver.com) or from MicFly one week after he purchasers it, says April 15
    That link goes to a jihad web sitr. I’m calling the fbi you traitor

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MACFLY For This Useful Post:

dcabarle (04-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I sure hope the Hendrickson’s do not appear until mid May as I will be up there for 5 days from 14 May through the 19th. If it the Henriksons then maybe the March Browns will be the ticket. I’ll just keep my fingers crossed. Bill the mailman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

They've been releasing water all winter, that's been keeping the water temperature moderate. So, Hendricksons should be on time this year, because science.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trout Nazi For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (04-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    I sure hope the Hendrickson’s do not appear until mid May as I will be up there for 5 days from 14 May through the 19th. If it the Henriksons then maybe the March Browns will be the ticket. I’ll just keep my fingers crossed. Bill the mailman.
    You can bet that hatch will be long over by then in any year. The exception is to get as close to the Cannonsville reservoir as you can, because that colder water sees a later emergence of Hendricksons and their spinners in the evenings. Otherwise, you're headed up for the "Tween Hatch" as in in between the Hendricksons and the March Browns.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Don't worry about it Bill. Your trip will be primetime for any number of hatches. Hendricksons will probably be sparse or gone by then, but March Browns start popping often by late April or the beginning of May. If it warms up fast in May, you could even see some early drakes on the water.

Also, caddis hatches tend to keep the fish looking up even between the big mayfly hatches.

Also, who knows what the flows will be like. Maybe you'll be chucking giant streamers in root beer.

In other words, doesn't make sense to try to be too "scientific" in your planning, because entropy. You'll have fun, almost no matter what.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    Don't worry about it Bill. Your trip will be primetime for any number of hatches. Hendricksons will probably be sparse or gone by then, but March Browns start popping often by late April or the beginning of May. If it warms up fast in May, you could even see some early drakes on the water.

Also, caddis hatches tend to keep the fish looking up even between the big mayfly hatches.

Also, who knows what the flows will be like. Maybe you'll be chucking giant streamers in root beer.

In other words, doesn't make sense to try to be too "scientific" in your planning, because entropy. You'll have fun, almost no matter what.
    Dude, when was the last time March Browns popped in April.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trout Nazi For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (04-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Do these bugs still identify as hendo's? Middle of May should be good for something on top.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mayhem For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (04-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Nazi View Post
    I hear the sulphur hatch is nearly over already up there this year.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Two years ago. Floated the lower EB on April 28 and 29 and had great days on MB dries and nymphs. I'm always up there the last weekend in April, and I usually hit the very beginning of the March Brown hatch. But that's on the lower EB, where water temps are higher.

But the larger point is, no point in trying to say exactly when hatches will start and finish beforehand.

Here's a question: when did the Hendrickson hatch end last year? Were they still hatching in late June?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    Two years ago. Floated the lower EB on April 28 and 29 and had great days on MB dries and nymphs. I'm always up there the last weekend in April, and I usually hit the very beginning of the March Brown hatch. But that's on the lower EB, where water temps are higher.

But the larger point is, no point in trying to say exactly when hatches will start and finish beforehand.

Here's a question: when did the Hendrickson hatch end last year? Were they still hatching in late June?
    I was fishing Iso’s caddis late June of last year, but finding Hendrickson’s in late June right below one of the dams doesn’t really count. And besides, at that point in the year it doesn’t really matter since I can catch just about any rising fish on a size 12 rusty spinner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I was fishing Iso’s caddis late June of last year, but finding Hendrickson’s in late June right below one of the dams doesn’t really count. And besides, at that point in the year it doesn’t really matter since I can catch just about any rising fish on a size 12 rusty spinner.
    Huh. Okay, but what I'm saying is, the Hendrickson hatch last year actually went on for many weeks past what the hatch chart says, and not just below the dams. It was a regular topic of conversation on the river and in the shop.. the Hendrickson hatch that never ends...

And for that matter, most spring hatches last year were late, and some hatches that are supposed to occur weeks apart coincided, creating a bug soup situation. It was a crazy, crazy year up there.

But every year has a little crazy. The year before, everything was a bit early. That's part of the fun of it. My favorite years are the ones when I keep finding hatches all summer long that are supposed to be done, in places where the fish aren't supposed to be holding, much less rising. Keeps it interesting.

But look, I totally agree with your last sentence. A size 12 or 14 comparadun will also work in all kinds of hatches if you fish it right. For the lazy, the One Bug doesn't end in late april, it lasts all year long, and I'm lazy as fuck.

Thread Information