Delaware River Club
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Re: Late Hatch Prediction

I gotta say- stopping by the west branch on the way back from the SR today, I have never seen it so frozen this late in the winter. Frozen solid. Also a ton of snow up there. Looking at forward temps next 10 days- there doesn't appear to be a major shift in weather. 40 is not going to do much if the nights keep going back to freezing- especially on the tailwaters where the flow is very low and the river is fairly flat. The freestones will free up first as snow melts and the higher gradient sections begin to break open the ice. I'm thinking april may not see any consistent dry fly fishing (which we didn't last year either), and that april/early may will see some high flow events from the large amount of snow that will have to melt before the season really gets going and temps warm up. Hard to believe the opener is 30 days away. On a final and positive note-I did see quite a few LBS hatching on the SR today.

TR is offline "You can observe a lot just by watching." Y. Berra
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    I gotta say- stopping by the west branch on the way back from the SR today, I have never seen it so frozen this late in the winter. Frozen solid. Also a ton of snow up there. Looking at forward temps next 10 days- there doesn't appear to be a major shift in weather. 40 is not going to do much if the nights keep going back to freezing...
    -------------

Uh, yup.

Still going by your original April 22nd call for the Hendricksons in the Catskills Mr. Fly?

I'll stick with early to mid May.

It's going to be a long time for that water (once it recedes and the ice floes melt) to get to the upper forties consistently.

We've got more than 24 inches of solid ice in the Eddy on the Big D. right now and since we, in the Catskills, are having more of an Adirondacks winter - maybe you'll see Hendricksons by mid May this year.

Tight lines Fly.
    TR

FYI:
    By The Associated Press
    Posted Mar. 1, 2015 at 7:44 PM

February brought record cold, snow to Northeast - Times Leader - timesleader.com

ALBANY — Hardy souls who shivered and shoveled their way through February in the Northeast now have evidence of just how brutal the weather was, with record cold in at least eight cities and record snowfall in Boston.
    "We're the standout globally," said Art DeGaetano, director of the Northeast Regional Climate Center at Cornell University. "It's colder in Siberia, but we're the farthest below normal."
    The climate center shows the New York cities of Buffalo, Syracuse, Binghamton and Ithaca had their coldest months ever. The average temperature was 10.9 degrees in Buffalo, beating the 1934 record of 11.4. The normal average temperature for February in Buffalo is 26.3.
    The monthly average was 9.0 in Syracuse, 12.2 in Binghamton and 10.2 in Ithaca. Syracuse and Ithaca each had 14 days of zero or below temperatures, a February record. The National Weather Service said Rochester also had a record-cold February with an average temperature of 12.2 degrees.
    There were also February records elsewhere. Record low average temperatures for the month were set in Hartford, Connecticut, at 16.1; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, at 20.9; and Portland, Maine, at 13.8. That's more than 11 degrees below normal for each city. Caribou, Maine's average February temperature of 2.5 degrees was also a record low, DeGaetano said.
    Boston's 64.8 inches of snow easily beat the city's old record of 41.6 inches. If the city gets 5.6 more inches before the end of May, it'll be the snowiest winter on record, DeGaetano said. Through Feb. 26, Boston had 102 inches of snow. Normal is 34 inches.
    Providence, Rhode Island, had a February record 31.8 inches of snow, bringing the season's total to nearly 60 inches, twice the normal amount.
    Total snowfall for the season is way above normal across the Northeast, according to the National Weather Service. As of Feb. 26, Worcester, Massachusetts, had 108.6 inches, compared to a normal snowfall of 49.9 inches.

-------

Hendricksons in the Adirondacks? Usually May 15th through June 7th:

!Adirondack Fly Fishing and the Hatches within the 6 million acre park in upstate New York

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Yep april 22nd is seeming unrealistic now and I hope the bugs are late because if they do hatch in april the fish may ignore them with water temps being so cold. I was thinking yesterday that if very warm winter weather was able to cause hendricksons to hatch in late february a few years ago, it similarly could cause them to hatch in may due to a colder than normal winter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    Yep april 22nd is seeming unrealistic now and I hope the bugs are late because if they do hatch in april the fish may ignore them with water temps being so cold. I was thinking yesterday that if very warm winter weather was able to cause hendricksons to hatch in late february a few years ago, it similarly could cause them to hatch in may due to a colder than normal winter.
    That's what happened last year, but I need that hatch to begin in earnest on or by April 30th or my Trout Lout crew is going to hang me by my balls from a high tree at the WB Angler this year after I moved up our trip one week after many years of missing that hatch on the late side

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

I was out sat chasing the unicorn of the manasquan also known as sea run brown trout. Saw a handful of stoneflies about a size 14. Suprisingly the squan vets a decent hatch of them and in years past I have caught a few fish on top there with stones. No sea runs though,starting to think they don't exist but it was nice to wet a line.

Beads? We don't need no stinkin beads.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to trico mike For This Useful Post:

flyI4 (03-02-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

they dont exist but some of the largest snapping turtles I've ever seen do. Think about that next time you step on something and aren't sure whether its a shopping cart or a turtle's head. I tried for many years with no sighting of one. I will say this- the stretch in farmingdale does hold over a surprising amount of fish and I used to have fun fishing there with holdovers. The fish will holdover there year round if the summer doesnt get too brutal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Second half of March is going to be significantly more moderate. Some melt from the freestones may breakup some of that ice and send it down river. Sticking to April. What do we win (other tha used fly line)?

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

TR is offline "You can observe a lot just by watching." Y. Berra
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Nazi View Post
    Second half of March is going to be significantly more moderate. Some melt from the freestones may breakup some of that ice and send it down river. Sticking to April. What do we win (other tha used fly line)?
    ----------

Well, Faber thought markets would drop a few years ago and we're now in a six year bull market.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2014/05/22/marc-faber-markets-dont-look-healthy-right-now/

Sorry, wrong board.

First prize is a Big Mac and fries at Hancock's premiere restaurant or Fox Belly Lo Mein at Ming Moon.

Your choice.

Tight lines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

Jc,I actually think some do exsist. There are so many deep pools and blow downs for them to hide in. Every year I here rumors of some being caught in the inlet or down low on the river,but I think the returns are very minimal. I didn't step on any snappers but I did fall through the ice walking in the woods,didn't even realize I was walking on a frozen pond or something. Went down to my waist,wasn't wearing waders just jeans. Later on I sleep down a muddy bank into the river. That ended my trip but I covered about 2 miles of river before that happened.

Beads? We don't need no stinkin beads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Around 7-8 years ago I assisted F and W electrofishings the Squan below the dam whose name escapes me now in search of sea-runs. None were found but there are ton of eels in there as there in the Toms.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    714 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

Question is if they exist where are they spawning? They could have tracked them as well

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    Question is if they exist where are they spawning? They could have tracked them as well
    There have never been YOY electro fished, so no. It teaches an important lesson which is that if you want a true sea run program, you need to stock sea run fish, not 100+ year old hatchery mutants in hopes they will find the saltwater, fatten up, then swim back upstream to spawn. Same goes for attempting to get the Toms River into sea run brookies using Nashua strain fish from Pequest. You would need proven salters from out of state to even attempt to get a sea run program going.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thread Information