Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Late Hatch Prediction

Hi guys,

West Branch has been completely frozen over for a month!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150130_172528.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	11449

No hendricksons on the West Branch or Upper Mainstem until after May 1st this year!!!!

Very little warm release this winter, so no bug development either.

Guess what date I see my first Hendrickson at the house and win 6 flies!!!!

Jim

Similar Threads:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: Late Hatch Prediction

May 18......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm voting April 25th.. I have faith in "global warming"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

Second year in row I moved my annual Hendrickson trip up a week to begin on April 30th (until May 3rd) and I'm afraid Jim may be correct and we'll have another late hatch like last spring. It's all about degree days. I'm personally hoping for a warm spring and an end to winter soon, but so far that pattern isn't appearing.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    713 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Let me be vey clear.....The Hendrickson's will hatch when I am not on the river.....I will be busy with chores, or home renovations, or work...
    To help you all out, I will post when I am not able to fish so you can enjoy the hatch.......

May 5th.....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

May 1st, on opening day of NY spring turkey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

I'm gonna guess April 20th, I don't think things will be as late as everyone thinks. Although, big picture, I'm hoping for a cool spring and cool summer. The fishing last year was awesome, you could basically fish the big river most of the summer, and September was epic.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Nazi View Post
    I'm gonna guess April 20th, I don't think things will be as late as everyone thinks. Although, big picture, I'm hoping for a cool spring and cool summer. The fishing last year was awesome, you could basically fish the big river most of the summer, and September was epic.
    I hope you're right, but last year they showed in big numbers on the Tuesday after we left and that was May 6th. You would expect them to begin lower on the mainsteam and move upstream, but they literally started everywhere in big numbers that Tuesday when the day was sunny and warm. Most of the last 10 (ish) years, that hatch began by mid-April and the one freakish warm year it began in late March. I moved up our trip last year after basically missing the hatch by Mother's Day weekend which is when we used to go up. Now instead of it being nearly over, it hasn't begun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    I hope you're right, but last year they showed in big numbers on the Tuesday after we left and that was May 6th. You would expect them to begin lower on the mainsteam and move upstream, but they literally started everywhere in big numbers that Tuesday when the day was sunny and warm. Most of the last 10 (ish) years, that hatch began by mid-April and the one freakish warm year it began in late March. I moved up our trip last year after basically missing the hatch by Mother's Day weekend which is when we used to go up. Now instead of it being nearly over, it hasn't begun
    He said first fly, not a vast hatch, so I'm playing by The Prices Right rules and trying not to go over.

I follow the weather closely this time of year (for skiing purposes), and the prediction is that this polar weather will ease by end of Feb, as the jetstream will tighten somewhat and the ridge will shift away from the western North America and focus itself more on the open waters of the Pacific Ocean. Not a 180 shift in weather, but we should be back to some moderation in March. So a "normal" spring is not entirely off the books. Then again, high-water could also push the hatch out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Nazi View Post
    He said first fly, not a vast hatch, so I'm playing by The Prices Right rules and trying not to go over.

I follow the weather closely this time of year (for skiing purposes), and the prediction is that this polar weather will ease by end of Feb, as the jetstream will tighten somewhat and the ridge will shift away from the western North America and focus itself more on the open waters of the Pacific Ocean. Not a 180 shift in weather, but we should be back to some moderation in March. So a "normal" spring is not entirely off the books. Then again, high-water could also push the hatch out.
    Yup, a buddy was just pointing out to me the long range weather and our general area is supposed to see 50s by the first week in March which would be fine by me since I'm no longer allowed to ski.

As for the Hendricksons, I recall seeing a few every day last year beginning in late April, but not the numbers needed to bring those fish up steadily like that hatch always does at some point. Let's hope we get a moderate spring, that's all I'm asking for. Not too warm and not too cold and I'll be a happy camper. Enjoy your skiing, I'm jealous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 28 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Spinner View Post
    Hi guys,

West Branch has been completely frozen over for a month!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150130_172528.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	11449

No hendricksons on the West Branch or Upper Mainstem until after May 1st this year!!!!

Very little warm release this winter, so no bug development either.

Guess what date I see my first Hendrickson at the house and win 6 flies!!!!

Jim
    New or used flies?

To look good is to fish good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    Yup, a buddy was just pointing out to me the long range weather and our general area is supposed to see 50s by the first week in March which would be fine by me since I'm no longer allowed to ski.

As for the Hendricksons, I recall seeing a few every day last year beginning in late April, but not the numbers needed to bring those fish up steadily like that hatch always does at some point. Let's hope we get a moderate spring, that's all I'm asking for. Not too warm and not too cold and I'll be a happy camper. Enjoy your skiing, I'm jealous.
    March looks like a mixed bag, potential for some big storms up north. I've had more powder days this year than tha last 3 combined. You wouldn't be jealous if you knew the temps me and the boy skiied in this weekend. It was -1 Saturday, but -13 Sunday with 25mph gusts.

Didn't see the big spinner falls last year with the Hendos, but then again I'm a March Brown/Iso guy. I like the sporadic big bugs because the fish get keyed in on the big spinners at night. I also like fishing Iso's in the riffs on the big river when the crowds are gone.

Thread Information