272 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Re: Death by dirty water: Storm runoff a risk for fish

Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    But, if they were BORN in Canada...
    They'd be Canadian Canada Geese.
    So ALL geese born in Canada are Canadian geese...
    Yes, true. But we are talking about American, Canada geese.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    They really have no redeeming value.....

My buddy shot one this fall because he's a new hunter and wanted to try it all. I warned him about their taste and sure enough, it was inedible even when marinated. You should be able to serve up an old leather boot if you marinate it long enough. But not with Canada geese.

Not good to eat, huh?

Well... I guess I could settle for deportation. Just the Canadian ones though. Canada geese born in the US can stay.

Don't they regularly bring down airplanes? I think it was a Canada goose that brought down flight 1549 in the Hudson. (Well, it was that showboating Sully character who settled on the Hudson. Teterboro would been fine too. But the goose gave him the excuse he was looking for.)

So. Let's examine the case against them. Foreign born and undocumented. Shitting on corporate America. Literally. And taking down more planes per year on American soil than any Jihadi maniac. Seems like their eradication should be a plank in the conservative platform next election. And for once, I'll agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Pavement is just the beginning and is a simple, first order issue. 300+ years of abuse and modern development combine to make hard issues. One new area of research is "legacy sediments", the rapid erosion filling Mid Atlantic valleys from the first settlers rapidly deforesting the hills. This causes "incised valleys" where water rushes too fast in high condition. Check the research form Franklin & Marshall U. Then there was the iron period. I can show you 200+ year old charcoal pits along the Musconetcong where the soil is still burnt away. The peak deforestion in NY and NJ was in 1840 when logging, small scale dirt farmers, and the charcoal iron industry annihilated the trees. The Flat Brook valley has been in Federal hands for 40 years now and the soil damage is still causing problems. The Flat Brook has never lived up to its potential as a trout stream IMHO and some its tribs, like Parker Bk, recently lost their brookies decades after becoming park land. The upper Passaic R was a great wild rainbow fishery 10 years ago, but now it is a shadow of what it was. Its watershed hasn't gained population, but the huge lawns of the estates have horrible runoff. Lawns aren't that different from pavement in many cases.

Having more than 1000 people per square mile means NJ has been on the forefront of conservation because the population density sure stresses the environment. Huge areas are reservoir land, basically because water pollution was so bad 100 years ago that cholera and dysentery were endemic in Essex Co and there was a large incentive for clean water. Hard to make all those people go away, so we have to be a little smarter. That said, NJ has a decent amount of wild trout fishing considering it is an urban state at the edge of trout range.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffK For This Useful Post:

mudbug201 (11-18-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
    Pavement is just the beginning and is a simple, first order issue. 300+ years of abuse and modern development combine to make hard issues. One new area of research is "legacy sediments", the rapid erosion filling Mid Atlantic valleys from the first settlers rapidly deforesting the hills. This causes "incised valleys" where water rushes too fast in high condition. Check the research form Franklin & Marshall U. Then there was the iron period. I can show you 200+ year old charcoal pits along the Musconetcong where the soil is still burnt away. The peak deforestion in NY and NJ was in 1840 when logging, small scale dirt farmers, and the charcoal iron industry annihilated the trees. The Flat Brook valley has been in Federal hands for 40 years now and the soil damage is still causing problems. The Flat Brook has never lived up to its potential as a trout stream IMHO and some its tribs, like Parker Bk, recently lost their brookies decades after becoming park land. The upper Passaic R was a great wild rainbow fishery 10 years ago, but now it is a shadow of what it was. Its watershed hasn't gained population, but the huge lawns of the estates have horrible runoff. Lawns aren't that different from pavement in many cases.

Having more than 1000 people per square mile means NJ has been on the forefront of conservation because the population density sure stresses the environment. Huge areas are reservoir land, basically because water pollution was so bad 100 years ago that cholera and dysentery were endemic in Essex Co and there was a large incentive for clean water. Hard to make all those people go away, so we have to be a little smarter. That said, NJ has a decent amount of wild trout fishing considering it is an urban state at the edge of trout range.
    That's interesting and horrible. Thanks for the history lesson - seriously. Had no idea it was that complex.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    That's interesting and horrible. Thanks for the history lesson - seriously. Had no idea it was that complex.
    jeffk is a genius.

I think he likes me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    They really have no redeeming value.....

My buddy shot one this fall because he's a new hunter and wanted to try it all. I warned him about their taste and sure enough, it was inedible even when marinated. You should be able to serve up an old leather boot if you marinate it long enough. But not with Canada geese.

Brian, you need to learn how to cook wild game or be more selective on where you take them from...

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

there's one less illegal bird immigrant hunter. I do feel bad for his family though:

N.J. hunter dies after accidentally shooting himself - News - NorthJersey.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    272 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tompg View Post
    there's one less illegal bird immigrant hunter. I do feel bad for his family though:

I'm still scratching my head over this one.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tompg View Post

The big question is; how is it physically possible to accidently shoot yourself in the head while sitting in a blind? The only scenario I can come up with he was looking down the barrel of his own loaded gun. Perhaps it was jammed or had a an obstruction in the muzzle and he was trying to clear a loaded gun. I am baffled by that. It takes 2 seconds to clear the breech. It is a sad story and one that all hunters should take into account . Always be vigilant at what the business end of a firearm is pointing at.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thread Information