Delaware River Club
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    407
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    65
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    132
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Inherited Cane Rod

    Good morning commie-lovers and running dogs,

    What do I have here? This cane rod - a Heddon "Expert" of unknown vintage - was tucked away in a primitive cabin in the pacific northwest in a pile of my Granddad's stuff until my Mom found it recently and gave it to me. Here it is on top of a psychedelic bedspread. (Don't ask)



    I know it's not worth much, but it's in fantastic condition. Should I a) put it back on the shelf for another 30 years, b) get it fixed up and put it back on the shelf, c) get it fixed up and fish with it, or d) fish with it next weekend?



    Similar Threads:

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,859
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,614
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,079
    Thanked in
    694 Posts
    Chats
    3104
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Is there anything functionally wrong with it. If not I would fish it. Do you know the line weight?

    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    1060 West Addison, Chicago....
    Posts
    4,410
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,209
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,029
    Thanked in
    692 Posts
    Chats
    4446
    Groans
    30
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Fishing rods were made for fishing........i say fish it this weekend....

    "I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    407
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    65
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    132
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    Is there anything functionally wrong with it. If not I would fish it. Do you know the line weight?
    The ferrules and the guides look great - really solid and smooth. I can't see anything wrong with it at all. It's a 5-weight.

    Would I just use a regular 5-weight line and reel on it? Do I need to treat it before using it? Or do anything to limber it up before taking it out on the WB to nymph with?

    (and a related point - are you beginning to detect the awe-inspiring level of cluelessness you are dealing with here?)


    Is it a full flex or more medium flex. Full flex I would go with a cortland SYLK line DT. Medium I would go with a WF Version


  5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudbug201 For This Useful Post:

    golden beetle (11-14-2014)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey's scenic Ramapo Valley
    Posts
    2,791
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    166
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    483
    Thanked in
    320 Posts
    Chats
    49
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    If it's rated by the manufacturer for five weight, rather than a "letter" designation, it's probably fairly new (1960s or later). It likely has a relatively modern glue... If it's in otherwise good shape, it's fishable.
    Use a 5-weight line, and see if you agree with the manufacturer.

    If it's rated for a letter designation line, that you converted to "weight", it could be quite old.
    Fish it cautiously, and watch out for delamination.
    It might be a five weight, but diameter isn't weight, it could be a four or six weight.


  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,268
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,487
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,512
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    87
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    Good morning commie-lovers and running dogs,

    What do I have here? This cane rod - a Heddon "Expert" of unknown vintage - was tucked away in a primitive cabin in the pacific northwest in a pile of my Granddad's stuff until my Mom found it recently and gave it to me. Here it is on top of a psychedelic bedspread. (Don't ask)



    I know it's not worth much, but it's in fantastic condition. Should I a) put it back on the shelf for another 30 years, b) get it fixed up and put it back on the shelf, c) get it fixed up and fish with it, or d) fish with it next weekend?

    I cant see the pictures.

    I dont know the model you have, but I've always been a fan og the Heddon Black beauty. That rod is beautiful.

    Let me advise you on one thing, comrade.

    Dont overline it. Try a 4 before you move on to a 5.

    You dont want to bow the tips.

    Das vadanya.


  8. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    407
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    65
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    132
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Actually, don't know where I got 5 weight from. Now that I look at it, it just says this:

    9' - 2 1/2 F - HC H or D

    Any ideas what that means?


  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,268
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,487
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,512
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    87
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    Actually, don't know where I got 5 weight from. Now that I look at it, it just says this:

    9' - 2 1/2 F - HC H or D

    Any ideas what that means?
    Yes. Some sense from another good website, but not exactly on target. The text below is from Fishing: Heddon Expert # 125, bamboo fly rod, expert models



    The #125-8-1 3/4-F-HDH or E inscription means:


    #125 is the model number
    8 is the rod length (8 feet)
    1 3/4-F is the designation for ferrule size used by Heddon
    HDH is the equivalent of a modern 6wt DT line
    E is the equivalent of a modern 5wt Level line

    Your rod will use either a 6wt Double Taper (DT) or a 6wt Weight Forward (WF) or a 5wt Level fly line in modern terms. The 1 3/4 ferrule size is equivalent to 17/64ths and would be used for a Light Trout rod...the tip section ferrule would be 10.5/64ths on the 8 foot 3-piece model.


  10. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    407
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    65
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    132
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    Yes. Some sense from another good website, but not exactly on target. The text below is from Fishing: Heddon Expert # 125, bamboo fly rod, expert models



    The #125-8-1 3/4-F-HDH or E inscription means:


    #125 is the model number
    8 is the rod length (8 feet)
    1 3/4-F is the designation for ferrule size used by Heddon
    HDH is the equivalent of a modern 6wt DT line
    E is the equivalent of a modern 5wt Level line

    Your rod will use either a 6wt Double Taper (DT) or a 6wt Weight Forward (WF) or a 5wt Level fly line in modern terms. The 1 3/4 ferrule size is equivalent to 17/64ths and would be used for a Light Trout rod...the tip section ferrule would be 10.5/64ths on the 8 foot 3-piece model.
    Thanks Beetle! This is great info.

    Sounds perfect for casting dries next spring on the EB or lower BKill. Dreaming about it already.


  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,268
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,487
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,512
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    87
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    Thanks Beetle! This is great info.

    Sounds perfect for casting dries next spring on the EB or lower BKill. Dreaming about it already.
    I would get this book.

    It aint cheap tho.

    Heddon the Rod with the Fighting Heart:Amazon:Books


  12. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    1060 West Addison, Chicago....
    Posts
    4,410
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,209
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,029
    Thanked in
    692 Posts
    Chats
    4446
    Groans
    30
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    I have some old Heddon lures and poppers.....I also have an old Heddon Bamboo rod..it was Grandads....I haven't fished it either yet..the tips are bowed due to his fishing worms with it, but it is in sturdy shape and needs to be fished........I haven't yet because I love my other set-ups too much to change!!

    stop thinking about it..put a five weight in it, bring a six weight and fish!!!

    "I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,859
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,614
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,079
    Thanked in
    694 Posts
    Chats
    3104
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    I would get this book.

    It aint cheap tho.

    Heddon the Rod with the Fighting Heart:Amazon:Books

    You should practice what you preach and give him your copy you commie

    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 6

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •