Simms
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 13 to 22 of 22
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Unadilla, New York
    Posts
    5,206
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    688
    Thanked in
    489 Posts
    Chats
    683
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    You should practice what you preach and give him your copy you commie
    I'm still scratching my head as to how a commie is ok with inheriting ANYTHING....
    I believe one plank of communism is to abolish the practice of inheritance.

    And how can the OTHER commie not speak out against it, but actually attempt to HELP the transgressor?

    Someone call the Shuanggui...

    John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

  2. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,268
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,487
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,512
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    87
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    I'm still scratching my head as to how a commie is ok with inheriting ANYTHING....
    I believe one plank of communism is to abolish the practice of inheritance.

    And how can the OTHER commie not speak out against it, but actually attempt to HELP the transgressor?

    Someone call the Shuanggui...
    This is so damn funny....

    Thank you for the laugh.

    The logic is familiar to me...


  3. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    388
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    60
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    122
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    This is so damn funny....

    Thank you for the laugh.

    The logic is familiar to me...
    you know, it's an interesting question. Lots of hardcore capitalists are against inheritance as well. They believe you should come by your wealth through honest, hard work. Come to think of it, who would possibly condone inheritance?

    Oh.

    Estate tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


  4. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,268
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,487
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,512
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    87
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If it's rated by the manufacturer for five weight, rather than a "letter" designation, it's probably fairly new (1960s or later). It likely has a relatively modern glue... If it's in otherwise good shape, it's fishable.
    Use a 5-weight line, and see if you agree with the manufacturer.

    If it's rated for a letter designation line, that you converted to "weight", it could be quite old.
    Fish it cautiously, and watch out for delamination.
    It might be a five weight, but diameter isn't weight, it could be a four or six weight.

    Good info from a vampire.


  5. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,829
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,603
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,057
    Thanked in
    682 Posts
    Chats
    3059
    Groans
    27
    Groaned 32 Times in 32 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    you know, it's an interesting question. Lots of hardcore capitalists are against inheritance as well. They believe you should come by your wealth through honest, hard work. Come to think of it, who would possibly condone inheritance?

    Oh.

    Estate tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Another ridiculous tax. The government will always look to take ,ore of your money.

    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  6. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,268
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,487
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,512
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    87
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug201 View Post
    you know, it's an interesting question. Lots of hardcore capitalists are against inheritance as well. They believe you should come by your wealth through honest, hard work. Come to think of it, who would possibly condone inheritance?

    Oh.

    Estate tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Good stuff.

    Enjoy the rod.


  7. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Posts
    2,566
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    56
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    669
    Thanked in
    385 Posts
    Chats
    1
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    The 1 3/4 ferrule rated for an HDH line is more a 6 wt or 5 wt, but the 2 1/2 ferrule rated HCH is more like a 7 wt IMHO.

    The 125 is the model number. The 125 is on the higher end of things. The number 17, or Black Beauty, was a mid level rod in the Heddon lineup. However, the banks are the same; the cosmetics and hardware are upgraded on the more expensive rods so they fish pretty much the same. The Black Beauty was popular because it was a solid performer at a mid level price point. The 8 is 8 ft long. The next number is the ferrule size and the 2 1/2 ferrule is larger and fits a larger diameter/heavier rod than the 1 3/4 ferrule. The line ratings in the bamboo era were based on line diameter, not weight, so conversion to modern lines is approximate. Many modern fishermen also underline them so the rod acts a little faster, which people raised with graphite rods are more used to. The HCH is a double taper line and the D is a level line that mostly relate to a 7 wt, or maybe a 6 wt for many modern casters.

    The rod should be good to fish. The most likely issue is that the glue for the ferrules has degraded and the ferrule rocks on the rod creating a ticking feeling. This allows the edge of the ferrule to cut into the rod. If you feel a ticking, then the ferrules need to be reset. Otherwise it is likely good to go. Also check that the guides are smooth and haven't rusted over time. If the guide surface is rough it will chew up a line in no time.


  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffK For This Useful Post:

    golden beetle (11-16-2014), mudbug201 (11-16-2014), Pete (11-16-2014)

  9. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,268
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,487
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,512
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    87
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
    The 1 3/4 ferrule rated for an HDH line is more a 6 wt or 5 wt, but the 2 1/2 ferrule rated HCH is more like a 7 wt IMHO.

    The 125 is the model number. The 125 is on the higher end of things. The number 17, or Black Beauty, was a mid level rod in the Heddon lineup. However, the banks are the same; the cosmetics and hardware are upgraded on the more expensive rods so they fish pretty much the same. The Black Beauty was popular because it was a solid performer at a mid level price point. The 8 is 8 ft long. The next number is the ferrule size and the 2 1/2 ferrule is larger and fits a larger diameter/heavier rod than the 1 3/4 ferrule. The line ratings in the bamboo era were based on line diameter, not weight, so conversion to modern lines is approximate. Many modern fishermen also underline them so the rod acts a little faster, which people raised with graphite rods are more used to. The HCH is a double taper line and the D is a level line that mostly relate to a 7 wt, or maybe a 6 wt for many modern casters.

    The rod should be good to fish. The most likely issue is that the glue for the ferrules has degraded and the ferrule rocks on the rod creating a ticking feeling. This allows the edge of the ferrule to cut into the rod. If you feel a ticking, then the ferrules need to be reset. Otherwise it is likely good to go. Also check that the guides are smooth and haven't rusted over time. If the guide surface is rough it will chew up a line in no time.
    Great stuff. Ferrule size must be a function of taper. Is it a diameter measurement for the ferrules?

    HCH? Where does that designation come from? Was that the system back in the day for rating lines?


  10. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Posts
    2,566
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    56
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    669
    Thanked in
    385 Posts
    Chats
    1
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    The numbered ferrules are the way Heddon sized the ferrules on the butt, they aren't an industry standard. They relate to diameter, but I didn't look what actual diameters the sizes relate to. Generally, the size 2 ferrules are "trout" rods and the 2 1/2 ferrules are "trout/bass" sized. They went up to a 3 ferrule for saltwater and salmon etc and went down to a 1/2 ferrule for a featherweight fly rod, which is a rare and valuable stick.

    Line size was once determined by diameter. The sizes were as follows:
    I 0.022"
    H 0.025"
    G 0.030"
    F 0.035"
    E 0.040"
    D 0.045"
    C 0.050"

    So a double tapered HCH line is 0.025" diameter at the ends and tapers up to 0.050" in the center. An E line is 0.040" along the whole length. The old lines were braided silk impregnated with linseed oil, enamel, or some other curing material to make them waterproof. The weight of the line varied by how tightly it was braided and how it was filled and so it was difficult to match a line to a rod. Later, silk was replaced with nylon for some lines further complicating the weight situation. Therefore, in the 1960's the current way of rating lines by the weight of the last 30 ft of line was developed to more consistently match a line to a rod.


  11. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffK For This Useful Post:

    golden beetle (11-16-2014)

  12. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,268
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,487
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,512
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    87
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts


    Re: Inherited Cane Rod

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
    The numbered ferrules are the way Heddon sized the ferrules on the butt, they aren't an industry standard. They relate to diameter, but I didn't look what actual diameters the sizes relate to. Generally, the size 2 ferrules are "trout" rods and the 2 1/2 ferrules are "trout/bass" sized. They went up to a 3 ferrule for saltwater and salmon etc and went down to a 1/2 ferrule for a featherweight fly rod, which is a rare and valuable stick.

    Line size was once determined by diameter. The sizes were as follows:
    I 0.022"
    H 0.025"
    G 0.030"
    F 0.035"
    E 0.040"
    D 0.045"
    C 0.050"

    So a double tapered HCH line is 0.025" diameter at the ends and tapers up to 0.050" in the center. An E line is 0.040" along the whole length. The old lines were braided silk impregnated with linseed oil, enamel, or some other curing material to make them waterproof. The weight of the line varied by how tightly it was braided and how it was filled and so it was difficult to match a line to a rod. Later, silk was replaced with nylon for some lines further complicating the weight situation. Therefore, in the 1960's the current way of rating lines by the weight of the last 30 ft of line was developed to more consistently match a line to a rod.
    Your knowledge is priceless.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 6

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •