Thanked 1,548 Times in 982 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Re: Ramapo River Restoration Project Moves Along

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    How independent is the Division?
    Will they bow to political pressure?
    If TR Weniger is that close to Boswell, they've probably done "government work" before, and may be quite adept at "pay to play"... Might even "own" a few politicians.
    At the level they need within the Division, highly non-political. In the end, it is the Chief of Freshwater Fisheries that has to put her reputation on the line by approving or not approving this application, and I can't imagine her caving in for any reason. She has nothing to gain and nothing to lose by doing so.

I doubt this guy will even figure out the permit application, let alone submit one and receive it back approved. But it is NJ and stranger things happen every day here.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty Spinner For This Useful Post:

Pete (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

RE: Mussels
    Is this an endangered/threatened species?
    https://www.facebook.com/16934836648...type=3&theater

Disclaimer:
    The background is too out of focus, for me to verify that this is on the Ramapo.
    I'm usually careful about getting too chummy with the person/group who posted that. VERY much an activist against the bear hunt. Has questioned the motives of the DFW, and gone as far as to advise NOT reporting sightings (including bobcats) for fear that accurate data could further justify hunting.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today I fished down by the Oakland rec fields. There are a bunch of boulders in the parking lot by the river. Does anyone know if they are ready to start this project?

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

I've been following the Borough Council Meetings.
    The last time Chris mentioned it in his "liaison report" (last month) they didn't even have a design completed... Once they submit a design, the permitting process could take a while.

Which "rec field"?
    As far as I know, they aren't going to mess with the channelized section down by the main recreational complex. Soons Field and Roosevelt field, are both adjacent to (or near) the project area...

Disclaimer: Not much has been said since the Flood Commission got excluded, and TU dropped out. The scope could have changed without my knowledge.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

The last time Chris mentioned it in his "liaison report" (last month) they didn't even have a design completed... Once they submit a design, the permitting process could take a while.

Which "rec field"?
    As far as I know, they aren't going to mess with the channelized section down by the main recreational complex. Soons Field and Roosevelt field, are both adjacent to (or near) the project area...

Disclaimer: Not much has been said since the Flood Commission got excluded, and TU dropped out. The scope could have changed without my knowledge.
    Let me just say that I was indirectly speaking with the "higher ups" on the town council and there is a special meeting today because, to paraphrase one of the higher ups, "This project just doesn't feel right to me". The boulders were moved from a site the borough's (outside) engineering firm just happens to be working on in Franklin Lakes and they are what is known as "shot rock" which means blasted rock and not the "natural stone" that is clearly specified in the bid package. To make things worse, the so-called specs now call for boulders up to 9' in size which is not what is needed, but if you follow the $$, the contractor get paid a premium for boulders over 3' in size via a change order they got the borough's outside engineer to approve, so the whole thing is a bloody mess. There is no permit that has even been applied for and now there is talk about shrinking the project another 1,600' in length, but the boulder count is now both going up in number and in size. Again, follow the money. The boulders are a separate line item in the bid, so they can be delivered and charged for without the contractor ever receiving a permit to work in the stream. I was also told that the borough does not even have the contractor under bond yet.......

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Pete - check your PMs. I have to be somewhat careful of what I say publicly. I happen to know I was recommended as a consultant to the Borough recently, but I just don't see that happening for obvious reasons. However, I did provide my hourly rate for same. This entire topic was discussed at length yesterday at the NJTU State Council quarterly meeting at Rutgers. The East Jersey TU chapter is well informed on this matter for those of you that are members there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty Spinner For This Useful Post:

Pete (10-17-2016)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which "rec field"?

Pete,
    The boulders are below the "main rec complex" near where the channel from the Army corps. starts.

I thought those boulders looked familiar. Looks like they came from the corner of Franklin Ave and Colonial Rd. where the construction is going on.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FlyBri For This Useful Post:

Pete (10-17-2016)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBri View Post
    Pete,
    The boulders are below the "main rec complex" near where the channel from the Army corps. starts.

I thought those boulders looked familiar. Looks like they came from the corner of Franklin Ave and Colonial Rd. where the construction is going on.

Correct, they are from a shopping center that was raised recently to make way for some other project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Per the last council meeting (Chris Visconti's liasion report):
    Plans supposedly submitted to the DEP on 02/08/17.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Per the last council meeting (Chris Visconti's liasion report):
    Plans supposedly submitted to the DEP on 02/08/17.

I can't wait to see what happens from here! I know the Division will require a freshwater mussel survey, and that can't start until May 15th at the earliest because of water temps. Then, based on the study which is not yet funded or even out for bid, there will almost certainly need to be significant modifications to the design which means modifications to the permit application, so expect many more months of delays and costs to the Oakland taxpayers. You guys are getting screwed in a monumental way!

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

"Plans submitted 2/8"? I wonder what that means? There is no permit application in the NJDEP system yet that I have been able to find under any name. But I can't imagine they could have submitted a permit without the required letter of support from one of 3 agencies as they are not working with any of those three agencies. Only one, the NJ Division of F & W could help them get that required letter from a Division biologist, and to my knowledge, they have not reached out to that person. The other two agencies, the NRCS and USFWS can't help because they are not involved with the project in any way. Without the letter, there is no permit application for this type of restoration work. In other words, if I had to venture a guess, I would say they are "fishing" with DEP to see what type of permit will be required (even though I long ago fully explained to the town that they need a GP-16 Freshwater Wetlands permit from DEP Land Use Regulation and it's in their bid spec). And once they realize this and contact the Division, they're going to have to demonstrate that they are a "qualified contractor" in the area of river restoration. Have fun, Oakland

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

The meeting was on 2/8...later that same day....

I paraphrased part of what Chris said, including the word "supposedly".
    He appeared to be trying to express optimism, but didn't seem too sure of himself.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (02-20-2017)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information