Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 1 Post

Re: Ramapo River Restoration Project Moves Along

Thanks for the report. Yeah a lot of times freshly stocked trout rise for who knows what lol. I'm probably going to try up there next week. Hope some are left

Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 982 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

I understand that some of the bows stocked last week were as short as 3" with 7" being about the average. They'll grow this winter and next spring rivers reliant 100% on stocked fish like the Ramapo will see normal stockings resume, albeit with 100% rainbows for a few more years.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 1 Post

Thanks Rusty, I can see the meaties trying to net a 3" trout. Hope they make it.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

I was afraid something like this would happen.
    http://www.northjersey.com/news/busi...01266?page=all

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I was afraid something like this would happen.
    http://www.northjersey.com/news/busi...01266?page=all
    This is typical government crap......

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

But the question is, is the contractor qualified to do that specific type of work? I'm sure Rusty can list any number of previous "restoration" jobs that he had to do over because the initial contractor didn't know what they were doing.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by FIN-ITE 34 View Post
    But the question is, is the contractor qualified to do that specific type of work? I'm sure Rusty can list any number of previous "restoration" jobs that he had to do over because the initial contractor didn't know what they were doing.
    I had hoped that Oakland had "learned it's lesson", after the Library had to be renovated twice... and then there was the Tennis Court fiasco...and then there was ...

It's Brian's fault. If he had been willing to forgo his salary & commission, his people could have trimmed their price, to something under the budget, and then the low-ball "crony" bidder could have been disqualified without jeopardizing the entire project.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

FIN-ITE 34 (05-19-2016), Rusty Spinner (05-21-2016)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

600 boulders for $84,000. I bet these people buy sticks and take them to the woods as well. Lets buy some rocks and put them in the river. The irony kills me. I do hope they're some big-assed boulders though. The kind you can climb.

I feel bad for the people who eventually get them in their living rooms though. That river hit somewhere near 25 feet deep and several thousand CFS once.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tompg View Post
    600 boulders for $84,000
    That's only a hundred forty bucks a stone. Doesn't sound bad when you figure in the tax and shipping.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by FIN-ITE 34 View Post
    That's only a hundred forty bucks a stone. Doesn't sound bad when you figure in the tax and shipping.
    But Brian's rocks were more expen$ive... Maybe we should have "crowd sourced" some rocks.

I like the way Tom worded it better. He made me remember the time they planted trees on a wooded lot... I couldn't complain, the trees were donated, and some boy scouts provided free labor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 982 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

For the record, my boulder cost was $83,000 to my competitor's $84K, so that is the current going rate. Difference is, a 3' boulder is too small as we have been telling the borough's (outside contract) engineer and now the other guy has already asked for a change order that could exceed an additional $100,000 to get boulders in the 4'-6' range which is what this river needs. My bid included 4'-6' boulders because that is what is needed to stabilize the structures and the channel in the river of that size. These people that are in the town's government are either totally incompetent (borough administrator most especially) or simply being sheep and going along to go along. I can't see a public bids, tank pulling construction firm ever getting a DEP permit (GP-16) to work in a river the size of the Ramapo over 2 3/4 miles making it the largest river restoration project in the state to date, with exactly ZERO experience. That falls to a decision that will be made by our Division of Freshwater Fisheries. They don't like to see unqualified people working in the river.

This was the biggest political hack job I have ever seen. My firm was to win the bid or at least a firm like mine that was fully qualified. I could care less if I lost this bid to a qualified river restoration firm, but I lost this to a lawyer (TR Weniger is an attorney) that knows and has worked with the borough's outside engineer on other public bids projects (I smell a rat), and this lawyer has never worked in a river to restore it ever by his own admission. Yet the bid specifically states that not only does the firm need experience, but so does the operator which is something I helped them write into their bid nearly 2 years ago when I was still very much working for TU without a clue I might one day work for Urbani Fisheries, LLC. But they (town decision makers were the hired engineer and the borough administrator who never second guesses his outside engineer for unknown reasons). On top of all of this, the borough knows it needs to hire another firm to perform a freshwater mussel survey of the entire length and that survey will not be cheap. Yet they are blowing my advice on that off "until the DEP tells us we need to do it". The DEP has already communicated to the borough numerous times that no permit would be issued even to a qualified firm without the mussel survey first, and that is because of a state threatened species in the river there (Eastern lamp mussels). These morons get exactly what they deserve! I tried to get the borough administrator to tell me what happens if TR Weniger doesn't get a permit, but I got a nasty letter from some attorney instead. Amazing how incompetent these people were and how conniving the borough's outside engineer was in getting his buddy to bid and then getting him the contract. Welcome to NJ politics.

I wouldn't help this borough again if they grovelled on their knees and offered to pay me three times my initial asking bid price..........I can't trust any of them.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusty Spinner For This Useful Post:

FIN-ITE 34 (05-21-2016), tomfly (05-21-2016)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

4-6 foot is a tiny boulder. I'd like to see 20-30 foot boulders every 50 yards in the middle of the river. No idea if that's smart or not but would be cool under normal circumstances. 2-3 foot boulders are gone in the first big flood.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information