Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool Mayflies for ID

If anybody has a photo of a mayfly and they would like to know what it is. I would be happy to try to help you with it. I enjoy trying to solve a puzzle or two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canadense for sure (11).jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	11029

Similar Threads:

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stenacron man For This Useful Post:

lightenup (09-18-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: Mayflies for ID

Quote Originally Posted by Stenacron man View Post
    If anybody has a photo of a mayfly and they would like to know what it is. I would be happy to try to help you with it. I enjoy trying to solve a puzzle or two.

Does knowing the exact species help me match the hatch or really is it size and general color? Frankly I don't give a shit what is flying around also long as I catch fish. No offense, I have some odd hobbies and interests myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Sunsignarcher has a good picture of one in the first page of the 9 days in the winds post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver10 View Post
    Does knowing the exact species help me match the hatch or really is it size and general color? Frankly I don't give a shit what is flying around also long as I catch fish. No offense, I have some odd hobbies and interests myself.
    All you need to know is size, color, and stage (i.e. emerger, dun, spinner) and hope that you have a match. Although, to fish the West Branch, you need to know latin names or they won't let you in.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Nazi View Post
    All you need to know is size, color, and stage (i.e. emerger, dun, spinner) and hope that you have a match. Although, to fish the West Branch, you need to know latin names or they won't let you in.
    Along with a tweed and breeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

Could you start a thread, where you post pictures of perhaps all the.major Delaware River hatches, male and female, subimagos and imagos?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    987 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver10 View Post
    That can certainly be true when mayflies are hatching through the film. But what if you arrive before the hatch and have no clue what hatches are common for the river you are fishing. The nymphs could be highly active and the fish on them under the surface. Which nymph in which size will you start with? IMO, it does matter if you know what the hatches are, at least the major hatches for the river(s) you will be fishing. The other option is to carry every fly you might ever need and a small seine net and spend some time sampling the bugs before tying on your flies. I like to know ahead of time what to expect so I am prepared the moment I get set up on the river after arrival. Do you need to know and spell the Latin names of each bug? No.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Great questions. What I can say is from my collecting work.

First if a stream your are going to fish is geographically in the same region as one you fish the most, then as long as the waters are similar you should basically find the same insects. To fish effectively and catch lots of fish you only need to see the color and sizes of the bugs with the greatest populations. Bring them home and tie flies that match. You don't really need to know much more than that. But, understanding insect ecology and behavior clarify the trouts feeding behavior. There is a video that I recommend to anybody to own. You can order a copy for under $20 buck. It is called the anatomy of a trout stream. It will explain everything in very simple terms and I have owned and watched it 1000's of time while tying flies in the winter.

Get familiar with you favorite stream. Take pictures load them and we will work through them on your level one at time. All you need is a net, put in the water and kick the rocks around. The insect go into the net and it is that easy. A book to own which is a must book is HATCH'S II they tell you all bout everything on the most common mayflies found and fished.

You don't need to learn the Latin names or the common names just know what the bugs look like. Knowing the names only helps when you are ready to know more from a research aspect or talk online with friends about what you saw on the water or in the air.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I am in southern Ontario Canada so my flies are somewhat different. I can post tons of bugs but I can only suggest that you might encounter them. I will start a post called ---- "Mayflies you will likely encounter in NE America"-----

That would be the best I think if that would help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    679 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

and what is this one?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bug'.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	251.2 KB 
ID:	11042  
    "I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

All taxonomic descriptions are for a male and this is a female. But I just read through 3 descriptions and all 3 align with this as being Maccaffertium pudicum.

The wings are the most important to align it. Pudicum have crossviens that are wider and darker than the longitudinal veins. I would say it is that species.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

All taxonomic descriptions are for a male and this is a female. But I just read through 3 descriptions and all 3 align with this as being Maccaffertium pudicum.

The wings are the most important to align it. Pudicum have crossviens that are wider and darker than the longitudinal veins. I would say it is that species.
    Dude, are you serious? Are you obsessed with this species? Cross veins, longitudinal veins, this reading aligns with this species......that bug is a Maccaffertium vicarium, better known as a Stenonema vicarium, or even better yet, known as a March Brown female spinner. How do I know?

I dated her, it was short-lived since she was only in heat for a few minutes as she flew over the riffles in search of a mate, but she was good, very good.

Lighten up, Francis.

Best regards,

Gray Fox

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHeron For This Useful Post:

dcabarle (09-19-2014)

Thread Information