Delaware River Club
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    5,984
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,026
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,556
    Thanked in
    982 Posts
    Chats
    1921
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts


    Update on Musky Gorge restoration/dam removals

    We are beginning to talk about this to get public support at no cost to the taxpayer in the end and nearly 5 miles of the lower Musky restored including the Musconetcong Gorge and having that in the hands of the Division for public access hunting and fishing. Here's the plan as put forth by our partners who own the defunct Warren Glen and Hughesville paper mills:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-kg1INTzCA

    Similar Threads:
    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    5,984
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,026
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,556
    Thanked in
    982 Posts
    Chats
    1921
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts


    Re: Update on Musky Gorge restoration/dam removals

    Another video they produced for the effort:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ5p9y-6mTI

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    708
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    16
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    124
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Chats
    453
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Update on Musky Gorge restoration/dam removals

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    We are beginning to talk about this to get public support at no cost to the taxpayer in the end and nearly 5 miles of the lower Musky restored including the Musconetcong Gorge and having that in the hands of the Division for public access hunting and fishing. Here's the plan as put forth by our partners who own the defunct Warren Glen and Hughesville paper mills:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-kg1INTzCA
    I am very excited and pleased about this! I have one question. In the video around 3min 10 seconds it talks about how they will pay for this. Selling Mitigation property and Mitigation Banking. What does that mean?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    5,984
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,026
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,556
    Thanked in
    982 Posts
    Chats
    1921
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts


    Re: Update on Musky Gorge restoration/dam removals

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver10 View Post
    I am very excited and pleased about this! I have one question. In the video around 3min 10 seconds it talks about how they will pay for this. Selling Mitigation property and Mitigation Banking. What does that mean?
    I'm still learning the finer details on this myself, so I'm still vague with those details until I can learn more. But it would become a site where federal projects like new highway construction would set aside a certain amount of funds to mitigate the damage they will be doing by building the highway towards a valuable project such as this where dams are removed, river channels are restored, old mill buildings are removed and the site cleaned up all of which benefits the public who will then have access to this restored land and for those taking drinking water out of the Delaware River which includes Philadelphia, Trenton and Camden downstream from the Musky to name a few.

    As I learn more myself, I'll be sure to share. IPP has brought in a big gun who has done this successfully in other states for former industrial or military sites. The cherry on top is the restoration followed by open public access to the Musconetcong Gorge.

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    708
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    16
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    124
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Chats
    453
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Update on Musky Gorge restoration/dam removals

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    I'm still learning the finer details on this myself, so I'm still vague with those details until I can learn more. But it would become a site where federal projects like new highway construction would set aside a certain amount of funds to mitigate the damage they will be doing by building the highway towards a valuable project such as this where dams are removed, river channels are restored, old mill buildings are removed and the site cleaned up all of which benefits the public who will then have access to this restored land and for those taking drinking water out of the Delaware River which includes Philadelphia, Trenton and Camden downstream from the Musky to name a few.

    As I learn more myself, I'll be sure to share. IPP has brought in a big gun who has done this successfully in other states for former industrial or military sites. The cherry on top is the restoration followed by open public access to the Musconetcong Gorge.
    Thanks. So like Carbon trading. Basically this project gets deemed positive and before other negative projects happen else where they buy the right to do bad things by giving money to this good project. I like it.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    5,984
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,026
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,556
    Thanked in
    982 Posts
    Chats
    1921
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts


    Re: Update on Musky Gorge restoration/dam removals

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver10 View Post
    Thanks. So like Carbon trading. Basically this project gets deemed positive and before other negative projects happen else where they buy the right to do bad things by giving money to this good project. I like it.
    Basically, yes. A ponzi scheme from the sounds of it. I think for every mile of stream disturbed or acre removed, they need to mitigate at a 3:1 ratio. The boss and I just spoke about this a few minutes ago. Meeting with IPP the week after next, so I'll learn a lot more between now and then. Unless you and our fellow NEFFers can just float us the $40 million in cash?


    Lightenup is going to have to put in some overtime at the drive thru window down there in Clinton.

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey's scenic Ramapo Valley
    Posts
    2,788
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    159
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    463
    Thanked in
    309 Posts
    Chats
    42
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts


    Re: Update on Musky Gorge restoration/dam removals

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    ......at no cost to the taxpayer in the end .....
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    ..... federal projects like new highway construction would set aside a certain amount of funds .......
    Just a technicality, but....
    Federal money comes from taxes too.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    5,984
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,026
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,556
    Thanked in
    982 Posts
    Chats
    1921
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts


    Re: Update on Musky Gorge restoration/dam removals

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just a technicality, but....
    Federal money comes from taxes too.
    True. What I meant was no additional taxes for NJ taxpayers beyond the taxes all of us pay federally. Thanks for correcting that. I think the contractor technically pays into the mitigation bank for work they are to do to build the highways, but obviously they would factor than in to their bid and their bid funds would be federal dollars. So yes, the taxpayer pays in the end. Don't we always?

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    1060 West Addison, Chicago....
    Posts
    4,280
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,149
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    993
    Thanked in
    666 Posts
    Chats
    4391
    Groans
    27
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts


    Re: Update on Musky Gorge restoration/dam removals

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post

    Lightenup is going to have to put in some overtime at the drive thru window down there in Clinton.
    Unfortunately, I am one of the only salaried drive-thru workers inthe country...OT won't help anyone!!!!!

    except the fat pig that gets 2 Big Macs everyday with extra special sauce...

    "I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •