Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Big Fish Eats Small Fish

So it's Monday morning and I'm fishing a really deep slow pool. The water clarity is insane and from the high banks I can see many fish feeding. My target is a small brown actively taking something in the film. Tried an RS-2, second cast--Bang. The fish is so small that I pull him out of the water slightly on the hookset.

Either way, he struggles on the line for all of 4 seconds before I see a PIG BROWN do a big 180 degree swoop out of the depths and nail him. Line goes slack. I still have my RS-2.

This ever happen to anyone else??

One time when I was a kid trolling for pike, I got what appeared to be a huge bite. When it went slack I thought -- WEED, so I reeled the crankbait in for inspection. To my suprise there was half of a dead perch on the crank bait. Some Walleye or Pike musta taken a bite out of him..

Similar Threads:
    Lacey: Where'd you get that pistol?
    Blevins: At the gettin' place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Re: Big Fish Eats Small Fish

I had not one, but two twenty inch browns come after a small brown I had hooked on a trico spinner a couple weeks back. I saw it coming and quickly pulled the little bastard to the safety of my net. Can't swear as to what happened after I released it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 28 Posts

Since i rarely catch small fish i have not personally experienced it. i have seen larger browns come after smaller ones. On Fly Fishing the World, one episode Robert Duvall landed a large brown and in its mouth was a 12 inch brown.

To look good is to fish good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

When I was a kid fishing in small ponds.....
    It happened to me many times with LM Bass.

BTW: It's called bait fishing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Happened to me on the Upper East Branch. Hooked 10" brown, while reeling it in suddenly took off for Philadelphia. I fought for about 10-15 minutes when all of the sudden my little original fish was spit back at me missing lots of scales and look mighty mangled and dead. Never saw what took the brown. I suspect a hammer head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had it happen a number of years ago on the Connecticut River. I was in my canoe fishing for smallmouth, hooked one about 10" and had a nice pike grab it sideways and start back to the reeds near shore. I eventually got the smallie back and released it but I don't think it lived much longer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    713 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moosekid View Post
    So it's Monday morning and I'm fishing a really deep slow pool. The water clarity is insane and from the high banks I can see many fish feeding. My target is a small brown actively taking something in the film. Tried an RS-2, second cast--Bang. The fish is so small that I pull him out of the water slightly on the hookset.

Either way, he struggles on the line for all of 4 seconds before I see a PIG BROWN do a big 180 degree swoop out of the depths and nail him. Line goes slack. I still have my RS-2.

This ever happen to anyone else??

One time when I was a kid trolling for pike, I got what appeared to be a huge bite. When it went slack I thought -- WEED, so I reeled the crankbait in for inspection. To my suprise there was half of a dead perch on the crank bait. Some Walleye or Pike musta taken a bite out of him..
    Neversink 2008 I was pitching to a pod of browns eating Caddis.More fish up than usual that night.

I heard a splash than almost simultaneously I heard what sounded like a beaver smack it's tail in the water and my Rod went forward almost coming out of my hand.Using a T&T LPS 7'6 3 WT it felt like I had a stripper on.At first I had no idea what I caught.

As soon as I saw my backing on my little Lamson LP Reel I knew it was a very big fish.I said to myself shit I haven't seen the backing on this reel since I put on a new line.I had to move down river about 75 feet or so to keep up and try to control the fish with that little rod.

About 3-4 minutes later I've got him under control and just about ready to net him.When I first saw the fish I said to myself "self this may be the one of the biggest Trout I have caught in the Catskills.After a quick brain scan my mind went to a couple of fish on the Delaware than went right to the Mo in Montana.

I had trouble netting the fish since it didn't fit well in the net.I went to take the Fly out and realized it was down it's throat, and couldn't even see it.I thought that was odd since I never have had a trout eat a dry-fly and swallow it into it's stomach like that. Anyway I tried reviving the fish for over 10 minutes, it was becoming lifeless and I knew he wouldn't make it.I couldn't understand why, the water temp was maybe 63 degrees and the battle like I said was maybe 3-4 minutes.

So I made the decision to bring him home and figured the kids would want to see him and eat him as well.I don't keep fish but figured better off eating him than hoping some animal does.

I get home open the hatch and saw not one fish but 2 Trout ! There was a 9-10 inch brown laying there right next to the big guy (who measured btw 25 inches)

I realized that he came up and ate the lttie guy as he was eating my fly.That made sense since the fly was in the stomach, and I figured that the fish fighting along with this small trout in him is what stressed him out to that point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Not a trout on trout crime, but I had something similar happen. The first trout I ever caught in the Beaverkill was the result of fishing a size 12 hares ear nymph in a crowded Cairn's pool in an October morning several decades ago. I had no idea what I was doing, but I was sure that I couldn't see the size 24-28 olives that the experienced guys were floating, so it was nymphing with a good ol' hares ear for me. I set the hook and saw the quick flash of a little minnow, so I reeled in quickly to set the tiny fish free when the Browning Silaflex bent like it never had before. After a substantial fight, I landed a 16 inch brown trout that had a minnow of some sort in its mouth attached to the fly. I was happy about finally catching a trout in the Beaverkill, but embarrassed that I actually caught it on bait in a special regs section. Some of the other fishermen admired the catch and asked what I got it on. "Size 12 hares ear nymph" was all I was willing to say. They were surprised.

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

Can't say I recall ever seeing a small trout get eaten by a larger one while fishing. Chased, yes, but not hooked and caught. But I had it happen a lot as a kid fishing for sunnies that would get swiped by pickerel/pike/LNB from time to time. Sometimes it was Game On! but most of the time it was SNAP as the crappy 6lb on your Zebco should have been changed 3 years ago

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

cool story - i was fishing the Point Mtn S-Bend in high water last fall and hooked into a nice 12" or so rainbow on a flashy prince and as i went to net him i had a brown that was somewhere north of 24" break the surface and roll on the rainbow and just miss the fish while hitting me in the leg. scared the living shit out of me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I've had a pair of stripers chase every trout I hooked in a pool on the lower WB one fall. Somehow I managed to get them in without being eaten.

"That wasn't your fly... was it?

Thread Information