Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Pike for Beetle

I've been getting reports the last couple of days about the pike bite on the Passaic but wanted to check things out for myself before saying anything. Now I'm saying, the bite is HOT. I fished for a little less than two hours and raised six fish, of which I landed three. The last fish was a decent 6+ pounds.
    I was fishing my 8 wt. Beulah with a floating line and a short 3 foot mono leader with 8 inches of steel for a bite tippet. The fly was an articulated white and chartreuse bucktail and schlappen.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo246.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	10940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo247.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	285.2 KB 
ID:	10941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo248.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	368.6 KB 
ID:	10942  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FIN-ITE 34 For This Useful Post:

golden beetle (08-19-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

Re: Pike for Beetle

Prehistoric fish, by the looks of them.

Great stuff.

I was thinking about giving it a look myself from my pontoon. But I was worried that low water and weeds would make the fishing difficult to say the least!

Pike are a great species that deserves respect. The New Jersey anglers that haven't tried the Passaic are missing out on a cool experience, even if you only do it once. The New Jersey division of fish and wildlife deserve some respect too for this very cool pike program that is perhaps the closest experience you'll get to living a chapter of the book "weird new jersey."

Such a haunting setting, really... It takes some balls to fish that river, and a sense of adventure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've been wanting to do with for a while. Any recommendations on where to launch a kayak?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Pike are fun to catch, and they are tasty pickled.....That last fish is a nice one for NJ......

Does anyone remember the state record hanging in Dan's Sport Shop on Rte. 31? I miss that place. I used to ride my bike there, when I was a kid to buy gear......
    That fish was 30# 2oz....caught in Spruce Run in 1970.......I think the record has been broken, but a nice fish.....I used to stare at it, and wonder if I would ever catch one as big......Been to Canada a couple times, Wisconsin too.....I haven't come close.....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    Prehistoric fish, by the looks of them.

Great stuff.

I was thinking about giving it a look myself from my pontoon. But I was worried that low water and weeds would make the fishing difficult to say the least!

Pike are a great species that deserves respect. The New Jersey anglers that haven't tried the Passaic are missing out on a cool experience, even if you only do it once. The New Jersey division of fish and wildlife deserve some respect too for this very cool pike program that is perhaps the closest experience you'll get to living a chapter of the book "weird new jersey."

Such a haunting setting, really... It takes some balls to fish that river, and a sense of adventure.
    Beetle- All the places I am familiar with on the mighty P, you couldn't find a weed if you tried. The water is low but the toon doesn't draft any more water than a kayak, so that shouldn't be a concern either. The only problem I see is some of the river may be almost all but blocked off with snags that have fallen across. I would think that would be more of a problem where the river is narrower from about Pine Brook up to Chatham.
    I had my best luck fishing where a ditch comes into the river.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by emoussa View Post
    I've been wanting to do with for a while. Any recommendations on where to launch a kayak?
    Where to launch a kayak on the Passaic? That's like asking where to by weed or a hooker in Amsterdam. Any place you can find to pull over and legally park along the river is kayak launch territory. Look for the industrial complex parking lots along the river and you will see areas that people have made to access the river for fishing. On the weekends and evenings nobody will bother you for parking there. Most bridges over the Passaic have some form of dirt area next to them that people use to park for bank fishing.

One last suggestion is to wear some knee high boots for launching and take out because of the silty mud along the banks. It's greasier than goose shit so be careful not to take a Brody.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

Try this link for more info on that river and pike fishing:

NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife - Passaic River Pike

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thread Information