Hatch Outdoors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    6,103
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,114
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,586
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    1941
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts


    Point Mountain river channel restoration project update

    Unfortunately, if you were initially excited to see the Point Mountain TCA stream restoration project happen when it was first discussed a bunch of years ago, you, like me, now have a lot more gray hairs. But I am happy to say that the project is finally moving forward with the DEP working on our permit application. This is for the approx. 1/3 mile reach above the "S-Bend" where I first met SIMMS, in fact, upstream to the tight run well upstream where the river widens. See photos shot recently at a low 102 cfs.


    Below: the "S-Bend" looking upstream at the flat water. Plan here is to build a boulder weir upstream and direct the flows flows around the bend and greatly deepen the pool at the bend to help dissipate energy in high flows while making deep pool habitat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000327.JPG 
Views:	377 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	10920

    Below: Boulder weir to begin around where this large boulder is currently. I'm sure it (boulder) will be incorporated into this weir.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000328.JPG 
Views:	427 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	10921

    Below: Bad erosion from both high river flows and anglers stepping off the high banks. This will be less than a foot drop when we're done restoring a point/gravel bar here and planting native trees strategically to keep pressure off certain entry locations anglers currently use while making new ones that won't damage the banks nearly as much in the future.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000329.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	10922


    Below: Currently crappy fishing water and bug water that won't remain crappy when we're done

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000330.JPG 
Views:	326 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	10923


    Below: More currently crappy water we want to fish better, and it will

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000331.JPG 
Views:	281 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	10924


    Below: the top of the project looking downstream where the overly wide section is at its worst. We will deepen the tailout of the existing pool that ends just upstream of this shot that fishes great and begin moving the channel from here down nearly .33 miles, narrowing it and deepening it as we work from top to bottom. We will wind up with three new pools and improvements to other sections including some additional pocket water for those that love your high stick nymphing (and you all thought I was a dry fly snob).

    Work to begin as soon as we get our DEP permit and water is low enough. We can't work in any year between March 15 - June 15 for trout stocking, so we hope to have this done long before that. Stay tuned for more details.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000332.JPG 
Views:	373 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	10925

    Funders: TU's Central Jersey Chapter, Trout & Salmon Foundation, Musconetcong River Management Council (part of the Wild & Scenic River program for this Partnership river which TU is a full partner), and grant funds I've raised from various sources. Thanks for the support of National Park Service for the Wild & Scenic support, US Fish & Wildlife Service, the NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife for support of both the project and for allowing us to do it on lands they own, and the support from Hunterdon County Parks and Recreation with whom we are also working on their lands as well as accessing the river on their property with a large track machine. And obviously, a big thanks to our important funders who have been waiting patiently for several years to see this project come to fruition.

    Similar Threads:
    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty Spinner For This Useful Post:

    NJpatbee (08-21-2014)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    967
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    118
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    163
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Point Mountain river channel restoration project update

    Awesome news.

    Every time I walked through that this year I thought of the restored sec across 31.




  4. The Following User Says Thank You to sunsignarcher For This Useful Post:

    Rusty Spinner (08-15-2014)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    6,103
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,114
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,586
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    1941
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts


    Re: Point Mountain river channel restoration project update

    Quote Originally Posted by sunsignarcher View Post
    Awesome news. Every time I walked through that this year I thought of the restored sec across 31.
    Thank me when it's done. This has been nearly 6 years in the making. Delays when the old Hunterdon Park Director left for a high level state Parks and Forestry job. Delays by Hunterdon County in re-working county government and appointing someone over Parks and Recreation and several other county government agencies. Delays in funding after that wait. Then, when everything seemed back in place and it was all rockets "go", some TU employee decides to have a significant heart attack which delays it further. Then delays from county and state agencies add to the delays and it become nothing but a solid delay that seems unending.

    But we've broken through and enough delays. Time to rip 'er a new one and soon!

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    1060 West Addison, Chicago....
    Posts
    4,410
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,209
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,029
    Thanked in
    692 Posts
    Chats
    4446
    Groans
    30
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts


    Re: Point Mountain river channel restoration project update

    Good to hear...more great local water.......
    You need help plantin' trees, let me know....

    "I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

    Rusty Spinner (08-16-2014)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,859
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,614
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,079
    Thanked in
    694 Posts
    Chats
    3104
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts


    Re: Point Mountain river channel restoration project update

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    Unfortunately, if you were initially excited to see the Point Mountain TCA stream restoration project happen when it was first discussed a bunch of years ago, you, like me, now have a lot more gray hairs. But I am happy to say that the project is finally moving forward with the DEP working on our permit application. This is for the approx. 1/3 mile reach above the "S-Bend" where I first met SIMMS, in fact, upstream to the tight run well upstream where the river widens. See photos shot recently at a low 102 cfs.


    Below: the "S-Bend" looking upstream at the flat water. Plan here is to build a boulder weir upstream and direct the flows flows around the bend and greatly deepen the pool at the bend to help dissipate energy in high flows while making deep pool habitat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000327.JPG 
Views:	377 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	10920

    Below: Boulder weir to begin around where this large boulder is currently. I'm sure it (boulder) will be incorporated into this weir.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000328.JPG 
Views:	427 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	10921

    Below: Bad erosion from both high river flows and anglers stepping off the high banks. This will be less than a foot drop when we're done restoring a point/gravel bar here and planting native trees strategically to keep pressure off certain entry locations anglers currently use while making new ones that won't damage the banks nearly as much in the future.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000329.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	10922


    Below: Currently crappy fishing water and bug water that won't remain crappy when we're done

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000330.JPG 
Views:	326 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	10923


    Below: More currently crappy water we want to fish better, and it will

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000331.JPG 
Views:	281 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	10924


    Below: the top of the project looking downstream where the overly wide section is at its worst. We will deepen the tailout of the existing pool that ends just upstream of this shot that fishes great and begin moving the channel from here down nearly .33 miles, narrowing it and deepening it as we work from top to bottom. We will wind up with three new pools and improvements to other sections including some additional pocket water for those that love your high stick nymphing (and you all thought I was a dry fly snob).

    Work to begin as soon as we get our DEP permit and water is low enough. We can't work in any year between March 15 - June 15 for trout stocking, so we hope to have this done long before that. Stay tuned for more details.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000332.JPG 
Views:	373 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	10925

    Funders: TU's Central Jersey Chapter, Trout & Salmon Foundation, Musconetcong River Management Council (part of the Wild & Scenic River program for this Partnership river which TU is a full partner), and grant funds I've raised from various sources. Thanks for the support of National Park Service for the Wild & Scenic support, US Fish & Wildlife Service, the NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife for support of both the project and for allowing us to do it on lands they own, and the support from Hunterdon County Parks and Recreation with whom we are also working on their lands as well as accessing the river on their property with a large track machine. And obviously, a big thanks to our important funders who have been waiting patiently for several years to see this project come to fruition.
    Excellent

    Because I believe in doing my part I will lend you my 2 boob servants for a weekend of rock moving or on Dluvers case come pebble counting ( he's lacks upper body strength) beetle on the other hand has that freakish crazy man strength like the dude in Mice and men. You can have him move boulders all day long. In fact he enjoys having rocks thrown at him while he works. You can charge money for it an raise additional funds. You are welcome

    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    6,103
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,114
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,586
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    1941
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts


    Re: Point Mountain river channel restoration project update

    Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    Excellent Because I believe in doing my part I will lend you my 2 boob servants for a weekend of rock moving or on Dluvers case come pebble counting ( he's lacks upper body strength) beetle on the other hand has that freakish crazy man strength like the dude in Mice and men. You can have him move boulders all day long. In fact he enjoys having rocks thrown at him while he works. You can charge money for it an raise additional funds. You are welcome
    I plan to take you up on that generous offer! Also, we will be "grubbing" large boulders from the hillside and Parks is somewhat worried about us removing too many. Perhaps after they are done with their restoration duties, we can use them both as fill where some of the boulders were removed?

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    230
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    29
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Chats
    400
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Point Mountain river channel restoration project update

    a good stretch of water about to get better....i approve!


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,183
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    38
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    779
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Chats
    1522
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 35 Times in 24 Posts


    Re: Point Mountain river channel restoration project update

    Brian,

    This is great news!!

    Is the same company from MT that did the stream restoration at my dads fishing club doing this one as well?

    Again, great news!!

    ************************************************** ************
    FOR THE HATERS, HOW TO FISH BEADS!!!!!


    http://www.njflyfishing.com/vBulleti...sssssssss.html

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    6,103
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,114
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,586
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    1941
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts


    Re: Point Mountain river channel restoration project update

    Quote Originally Posted by Simms View Post
    Brian,

    This is great news!!

    Is the same company from MT that did the stream restoration at my dads fishing club doing this one as well?

    Again, great news!!
    Yes, Urbani Fisheries LLC out of Bozeman, MT. We're also doing a mile below Point Mountain likely next year on state land (Warren side) and Hunterdon Park land as well as several private homes on the Hunterdon side. Anglers will have full public access almost all the way to Butler Park save for the Mannon Farm just above Butler Park by staying on the Warren side. NJ Audubon has managerial control over the Musconetcong WMA on the Warren side that qualifies them for Farm Bill funds as a non-profit, so they will hold that contract and I got funding for the survey, design and boulders from Theodore Gordon Flyfishers. If you see Theodore Gordon folks around, please be sure to mention it and to thank them for their first ever grant for a NJ based stream restoration project. Although that is general regulations water, the bait and spin guys will stick to the bridge area and maybe a short distance downstream even after we restore that stretch next year.

    We do have to avoid work in a couple hundred yard stretch due to the presence of state endangered dragonfly larva, but below that will be some sick water for those not too lazy to do some walking or access it from Anderson Asbury Road on the NJ Audubon property that abuts state land. Most of that water is pretty boring right now with wide but fairly deep, sandy pools with little cobble, bugs and fish.

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,101
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,684
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    800
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    215
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts


    Re: Point Mountain river channel restoration project update

    I sounds like a great project Rusty. I for one am thrilled that it is taking place Anyone who has fished PM knows what the scope will fix. One of the problems I had with PM is the flat shallow water that is productive when the water is cool but gives the fish very little protection from predators. Not to change the subject. But The SB a similar situation on it. The stretch below the Raritan Inn club has some silt issues as well. Is there anything in the works to remediate that stretch of the SB?

    "Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    6,103
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,114
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,586
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    1941
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts


    Re: Point Mountain river channel restoration project update

    Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    But The SB a similar situation on it. The stretch below the Raritan Inn club has some silt issues as well. Is there anything in the works to remediate that stretch of the SB?
    Not currently, but mainly because it is publicly owned which means there is no funding available to restore it. I am working with our Ken Lockwood TU chapter to see if we can gain permission to remove the breached Weiss Mill dam above the park in Califon using a Grip Hoist (fancy come-a-long that can pull up to 4,000 pounds between 30' and 40' per pull). We've been slowly plowing through lots of red tape on that project. But the Raritan Headwaters Association who does great work, currently has no restoration staff to help and I'm not funded to work in the Raritan watershed. So I help where I can, but I can't dig in and get big projects done over there right now.

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty Spinner For This Useful Post:

    tomfly (08-18-2014)

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Posts
    2,568
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    56
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    673
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    1
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts


    Re: Point Mountain river channel restoration project update

    I take my morning walks in the area and with the low water am amazed at the at the damage left over from the old forge dam. That dam was breached about 200 years ago, I guess (at least the forge stopped operations over 200 years ago). However, the shallow, featureless bottom from the millpond is still with us.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •