Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 24 Posts

Re: Point Mountain river channel restoration project update

Quote Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
    I take my morning walks in the area and with the low water am amazed at the at the damage left over from the old forge dam. That dam was breached about 200 years ago, I guess (at least the forge stopped operations over 200 years ago). However, the shallow, featureless bottom from the millpond is still with us.
    Jeff - where exactly was that dam? Call me or reply here as I'm curious. Sometimes when I see a degraded river channel, I can easily know what caused it such as being channelized like the Krasny/Heiser site or tons of big box stores and parking lots and roads were built upstream like with the Cliffdale Inn project that flash the river during runoff and force it to widen and become shallow and lifeless. The middle section of Point Mountain has always left me scratching my head although I do know the Penwell dam impedes normal sediment transportation downstream for quite a distance.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Here is a copy of our design plan so you guys and gals can get a better idea of the plan:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pt Mtn design as JPG file_Page_3.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	311.1 KB 
ID:	10943  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Brian,

I'm always surprised when people don't notice the old Squires Point (old name of hill before Point Mountain) Forge dam. It is only 75 yds above the Pt Mountain bridge and every one that follows the trail up from the bridge goes up and over it. It has a large breach, but if you look carefully you can still see a tiny drop where the pool ends. At the lower side it is a rocky riffle; at the upstream side it is immediately a silty pond bottom.

The forge was built in 1760 and got its ore from the Oxford mines. It had grist and saw mill add ons. The late 18th century were rough economic times and the forge didn't last until 1800. The dam should be obvious if you look for it. There are more subtle hints, like a largely gone raceway from the right of where you cross the dam angling towards the bridge and some decaying foundations across the river where I think the forge was. That is a guess because I've never found much to make a good estimate of the original layout. Maybe some funds for a dig can appear?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
    Brian,

I'm always surprised when people don't notice the old Squires Point (old name of hill before Point Mountain) Forge dam. It is only 75 yds above the Pt Mountain bridge and every one that follows the trail up from the bridge goes up and over it. It has a large breach, but if you look carefully you can still see a tiny drop where the pool ends. At the lower side it is a rocky riffle; at the upstream side it is immediately a silty pond bottom.

The forge was built in 1760 and got its ore from the Oxford mines. It had grist and saw mill add ons. The late 18th century were rough economic times and the forge didn't last until 1800. The dam should be obvious if you look for it. There are more subtle hints, like a largely gone raceway from the right of where you cross the dam angling towards the bridge and some decaying foundations across the river where I think the forge was. That is a guess because I've never found much to make a good estimate of the original layout. Maybe some funds for a dig can appear?
    And I was always mad at anglers for building that stone dam. I never knew it was a remnant dam! But I know exactly where you are talking about. Part of a sycamore fell across the channel just below it recently. That dam backs the river up about 200 yards just enough to let a ton of sediment drop out into the channel bottom there.

Thread Information