Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    317 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

PA trifecta

The beginning of last summer, a section of a PA stream was dewatered that had some decent wild browns. Today I decided to give that section of river a once over to see if any fish were present. To my surprise, I managed a trifecta of stocked rainbows, a wild brook and a bunch of small wild browns. I'm sure it wll be some years before I see the likes of the large fish that resided in that section of river, but at least there are a goodly number of small fish that seem to be doing well.

All the fish were taken on "the purple", size 16

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo214.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	282.8 KB 
ID:	10878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo211.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	277.8 KB 
ID:	10879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo212.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	276.2 KB 
ID:	10880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo213.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	299.9 KB 
ID:	10881

Similar Threads:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

Re: PA trifecta

Good fisherman.

But the report?

We need scenery.

We need to get a sense of the experience.

I think you're a fine fisherman, but I would really like your reports if you painted a picture and let us live vicariously for a minute through your ramblings.

By limiting the pictures to the fish and the net, you make it impersonal. You take out the parts that are most important to you.

You don't need to spot burn, but to tell a good story you gotta share a little bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    317 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    Good fisherman.

But the report?

We need scenery.

We need to get a sense of the experience.

I think you're a fine fisherman, but I would really like your reports if you painted a picture and let us live vicariously for a minute through your ramblings.

By limiting the pictures to the fish and the net, you make it impersonal. You take out the parts that are most important to you.

You don't need to spot burn, but to tell a good story you gotta share a little bit.
    Beetle- I shall take that under advisement. I understand that the suggestions from "the master" should be taken seriously and I will do my best in the future to bring those elements into my posts.
    Thank you for the critique and suggestions. However I do not delude myself to believe that my postings could ever come close to the greatness of yours.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FIN-ITE 34 For This Useful Post:

flyI4 (07-27-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by FIN-ITE 34 View Post
    Beetle- I shall take that under advisement. I understand that the suggestions from "the master" should be taken seriously and I will do my best in the future to bring those elements into my posts.
    Thank you for the critique and suggestions. However I do not delude myself to believe that my postings could ever come close to the greatness of yours.
    I think a well written report from our local fisheries is a pretty awesome thing, and you got the skills to bring it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

It's good to see that stretch coming back again. I used to catch a lot of big fish there before the first dewatering. Then I fished it two years after that happened and was catching a lot of small fish,then the second event happened and I haven't been back. The real tradegy of that stream is what has happened to it below stockertown and thru the special regs area and below that. Over the years the population of fish has plummeted and now it no longer qualifies for a class a designation. I remeber in the 90's that place teeming with fish. The worst part is that it still gets some of the heaviest hatches in the lhv. No-one seems to care about that strealm though,or any of the others in that area. First the little Lehigh took a shit then the bushkill and now the saucon seems to be suffering. Where is trout unlimited in all of this. I thought they were supposed to be helping and protecting cold water fisheries. It's really a shame that some of the best trout waters in pa are dying without even a whisper from any one.

Beads? We don't need no stinkin beads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I get a sense that Pennsylvania streams like the Little J and Penns are protected because they are well known fisheries, and an economic resource. I give a lot of credit to guys like George Harvey, Joe Humphreys and Eric Stroup for that protection and awareness.

The Lehigh Valley limestone streams are protected by a unique geological accident, the magical "limestone influence" that keeps them cold despite urbanization and development.

I don't think anyone has really stepped up as custodians of those streams. On the Jersey side, TU is very active.

I would like to see more of TU in the Lehigh Valley too.

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Beet your are spot on- the "accident" factor that makes many of the limestone streams more than sustainable, but legitimate fisheries. I started fishing nj - but there are limits to what 99% of the streams can do- and no level of conservation or improvements will change that. in the LHV- you have far more consistent dry fly action for decent sized wild trout, however its been a sad decline over the past 10-15 years when it comes to the streams mentioned on here. the little lehigh used to be a gem- stacked with wilds and stocked fish alike. U didn't care- u caught a bunch of both. Not the case anymore. Same goes for the bushkill- yes there are still fish there, but I used to catch multiple 18''+ fish there a night during a sulpher hatch and it wasn't outside expectations. The stream held those fish and they showed themselves commonly. Not so much anymore. Very frustrating, but these streams are "artificial" in a way and when the forces that allow them to exist are compromised. its no surprise they decline quickly.I do agree that more people should focus on supporting the area rather then northern NJ streams- since even without protection the LHV streams have more potential then most of NJ streams even if they are protected to the fullest. A cpl nj streams are exception to the rule

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I went college in Easton. Back in 2000 I used to fish the special regs section from time to time. Never did well. Not because the fish were lacking...I was just not great a fishing nor did I have the patience or confidence to stick with one fly and keep trying. I used to change flies every 4th cast or so if I did not get a hit....dumb.

Anyway one day I came out of the water and there was an older guy on the bridge looking down. I stopped and talked to him. He asked me how I did and I told him I got nothing. I asked him if he was going to fish, and he said to me...."not tonight" I asked "why not" he responded "I only fish here when the sulphers are hatching"

Anyway this at the time seemed crazy to me, to come down to the river and decide not to fish. Now almost 15 years later it makes a fuckload of sense to me. In retrospect I wish I had spoken more to the guy I could have learned a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver10 View Post
    Anyway one day I came out of the water and there was an older guy on the bridge looking down. I stopped and talked to him. He asked me how I did and I told him I got nothing. I asked him if he was going to fish, and he said to me...."not tonight" I asked "why not" he responded "I only fish here when the sulphers are hatching"

Anyway this at the time seemed crazy to me, to come down to the river and decide not to fish. Now almost 15 years later it makes a fuckload of sense to me. In retrospect I wish I had spoken more to the guy I could have learned a lot.
    Mind explaining it to me? Perhaps I still too new to fly fishing to understand.. but if I'm out for the day and fish aren't rising, I'm not going to sit and wait for a hatch - I'm there, I'm fishing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Thursthouse View Post
    Mind explaining it to me? Perhaps I still too new to fly fishing to understand.. but if I'm out for the day and fish aren't rising, I'm not going to sit and wait for a hatch - I'm there, I'm fishing.
    I guess I mean, life is so busy now and I have some much stuff to do always, that if I am going to head out to fish I should at least wait until the conditions are in my favor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I guess I mean, life is so busy now and I have some much stuff to do always, that if I am going to head out to fish I should at least wait until the conditions are in my favor.
    I hear ya - kinda in the same boat - but because of that, if I have a day to fish - I'm fishing, conditions be damned.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Thursthouse For This Useful Post:

strike proof (07-29-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    317 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

When you have the time to fish, you make the conditions in your favor.

Thread Information