Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Stripped Bass

Quote Originally Posted by theartoflee View Post
    iFliFish what do you think of the Behula? I remember seeing Randy Jones fish a two hander back in 98 at the Cape. He used a ten weight long rod with a Double taper line. I took this pic of him with what was an average striper for that day. If you look to the left of randy you can see a school of bass.
    So far I really like it. I'm running a Rio Outbound Short 12wt on it and what I like about the two hander isn't so much the fact that you can fish way out (although that can definitely be an advantage at times) but more so the ease of just picking up and laying down a nice cast very easily. And I can use larger flies and fish more effectively in windy conditions, which is when the bigger fish are more likely to be in the surf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trico mike View Post
    The population is in severe decline. Just look at the graphs that are out there. It peeked in 06 and has been plummeting since. I have had some decent nights this year but have had to work really hard. Usually by now I would have about 800 fish . I think I'm around 200 so far. Most of my spring summer fishing is done in the river or canal. I have been yelling for years about the decline bit nobody listens. The recreational fishermen killing all these breeder bass is really taking its toll on the population. All that being said if you do come down fish inside the rivers you may be able to hit some schoolies and fluke will also take a fly plus the hickorys are around. If your gonna be in the manasquan point pleasant area pm me I'll try to get you on some fish.

I'm staying in Manaquan all summer and I've tried fishing a few times without any luck. Is anything still happening around there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    990 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Bass populations have been on the decline for a long time now and it's beginning to become noticeable to all anglers, not just a few. You can't pound the broodstock up and down the coast and expect the fish to thrive. That and issues like bunker reduction boats which take the forage fish from the bass and add in smaller things like beach replenishment (which was going on during the last increase in bass as well, BTW) and you have a recipe for a crashing population.

I seldom target striped bass in summer, boat or shore. I like the spring and fall seasons, but especially from the beach. Blues are where and when you find them, but our bass are decreasing in numbers up and down the coast and the reasons are well known. Release the cows!

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thread Information