Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: Hardy Featherweight Casa ENGLAND NR

Quote Originally Posted by LostnLovinIt View Post
    Possibly because you brought it to the attention of half the fly fisherman on the East Coast!!!
    Very true, the Featherweights made in England have a lot of people that watch them. I need to find an estate sale or some other private sale to get a decent price. The new Featherweights (Entire Lightweight series) are available for $225 and are made in S. Korea but the reels made in England sell used for more than the new ones. I have never used the Korean reels and they may be just as good as the one made earlier in England. Whether correct or not, some people, including myself, view the move in manufacturing as a cost savings action by Hardy, and I wonder where the cost savings came from. S. Korea is an advanced and prosperous society so just how much savings in labor could there be? How many people actually manufacture the Hardy Lightweight series? It causes me to look at the materials used, but I could be wrong.

A big part of it is tradition, and if Ferrari moved their production from Italy to the other side of the world to save money I doubt their cars would have the same value. Hardy is an English reel, and those manufactured in England are perceived as original, or "vintage" as they are put for sale.

NJPB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NJpatbee View Post
    Hardy is an English reel, and those manufactured in England are perceived as original, or "vintage" as they are put for sale.
    Barely anymore. After Hardy/Greys was sold to Pure Fishing, it has been a shell of its former self. Hopefully they will in turn sell it again to someone that cares about the brand.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    692 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    Barely anymore. After Hardy/Greys was sold to Pure Fishing, it has been a shell of its former self. Hopefully they will in turn sell it again to someone that cares about the brand.
    I have a Hardy St. George made in England..It is a year or two old...great little reel....

I also have a Hardy Winston Perfect made in England in 1999....It is an awesome reel .....

don't know if these were made after the sale, but they are awesome little reels.....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I did not realize that Hardy had been sold. I have a couple of Hardy's from the 70's and they are geat reels - sorry to hear that the new owner may not be as quality oriented.

NJPB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NJpatbee View Post
    I did not realize that Hardy had been sold. I have a couple of Hardy's from the 70's and they are geat reels - sorry to hear that the new owner may not be as quality oriented.
    Pure Fishing is Berkly, Penn, Stren, Mitchell, Abu Garcia, Shakespeare, Fenwick, Pflueger, Hodgman, etc., etc., etc.

That's a big difference from the good old Hardy from England. Hardy doesn't seem to fit them well as a maker of high end and low volume fly rods. Low volume compared to all those spin tackle companies, that is. Time will tell what happens to Hardy. I hear that the Greys brand may be dropped and that line has been an excellent line locally. Hardy was sold less than a year ago.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/business...ld-usa-4822917

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusty Spinner For This Useful Post:

lightenup (06-05-2014), NJpatbee (06-05-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Apparently Pure Fishing is part of a larger conglomerate called called "Jarden Outdoor" which was founded in 2001 and owns an incredible variety and brands of products from the "Ball" Mason Jar to Hardy/Grey. A small specialty company like Hardy can easily get lost in an organization like this.

NJPB

Thread Information