Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: 6/1 ne pa

Quote Originally Posted by FIN-ITE 34 View Post
    I ventured to a NE PA water on Sunday with the hope of getting into some dry fly fishing. I usually default to nymphing and switch to some other method if I see the conditions are right. On this occasion I was traveling light with nothing more than a small box of dries and some emergers. The three main patterns were a rather large size 12-14 Griffith's Gnat, 14-16 elk hair caddis and 14-16 caddis emergers.
    Rising fish were scarce and I had take my time and watch the water for any fish that did rise more than once in a particular location. I found a few pods of intermittent risers and worked on them with a dry-dropper combination of the above mentioned patterns.
    I'm pretty much a hack when it comes to technical dry fly fishing and reading the "rise forms" for an indication of how the trout are feeding, but I gave it a shot and the surface/subsurface combo helped me out for that decision.
    The first fish actually made my arm ache and it turned out to be a solid 20" male. The next two fish were fat 17" fish that fought as hard as the first. There were two fish that were rising intermittently fairly close together and I switched between the two trying to get a take. I finally had one of the two take and when I set the hook I thought someone had set off a depth charge in the river. The water exploded and the fish jumped twice, I couldn't believe what I had hooked. It was without a doubt a +25" fish. It ran me down river and I gave chase, only to have the fish turn and make a run for a snag on the other side of the river. I tried to turn the fish and put on a little too much pressure and broke it off at the knot at my tippet ring. Disappointing but exciting with the thought of returning another day.
    I finished up with two more fish of about 16-17 inches, both of which were taken in no more than 12-15 inches of water.
    So I finished up with five fish to net, one broke off brute and I missed at least a dozen more fish.
    A little late on this but this is awesome! I'm keeping bees this year in NEPA so i'll be driving up from sussex county often and I'll always have my gear with me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Re: 6/1 ne pa

If you wanna' catch the fish, you gotta' make the money to buy a ticket.
    You never know when you are going to hit the lottery when trout fishing. One thing is for sure, if you don't fish, you won't hit the fish lottery.

Thread Information