Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: NY State Role in Reservoir Releases

OK, man enough to admit my humaness. I was wrong on the void percentage. It is no longer 20% but after rereading last years agreement the goal is to maintain a 10%.void between Sept 1 and March 15th. Conveniently right when the fish will shortly be on their redds.
    However, if we do not fill those reservoirs, we are in a shitstorm this year. Right now, half the gauges on both rivers are frozen, if anyone was looking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brachycentrus View Post
    OK, man enough to admit my humaness. I was wrong on the void percentage. It is no longer 20% but after rereading last years agreement the goal is to maintain a 10%.void between Sept 1 and March 15th. Conveniently right when the fish will shortly be on their redds.
    However, if we do not fill those reservoirs, we are in a shitstorm this year. Right now, half the gauges on both rivers are frozen, if anyone was looking.
    I'm looking, I always look! Actually I'm preparing to fish very shortly, which might not be a bad idea for some people who post here.

In other words you might enjoy the real rivers that you can wade or float and catch trout with a Fly as oppose to posting here. I would suggest a size 18 Capnidae (that would be a Stone fly). Size 16/18 Baetis Vagans (that would be a BWO) Probably a tad bit early for those.

Yes indeed it will be a Shitstorm this summer if the reservoirs do not fill.That would mean fishing would really suck on the Tail-waters.

Good Luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by JOE.T View Post
    I'm looking, I always look! Actually I'm preparing to fish very shortly, which might not be a bad idea for some people who post here.

In other words you might enjoy the real rivers that you can wade or float and catch trout with a Fly as oppose to posting here. I would suggest a size 18 Capnidae (that would be a Stone fly). Size 16/18 Baetis Vagans (that would be a BWO) Probably a tad bit early for those.

Yes indeed it will be a Shitstorm this summer if the reservoirs do not fill.That would mean fishing would really suck on the Tail-waters.

Good Luck.
    Is that your pattern on the right ?
    Good to see you back here brother.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by brachycentrus View Post
    Is that your pattern on the right ?
    Good to see you back here brother.

No that is late great Jimmy Charron's CDC pattern.

Your thinking of the cripple I tie with CDC including the stem for wings.

Either way they are both killer patterns when the Dorothea's (Sulphurs) are on the water, and actually for Pseudos' and all of the Olive species.

It's good to be back - meaning my home waters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Good Luck.
    Listening to you guys every spring is like listening to the dudes who used to be in Times Square (before it got lame) telling us the world was gonna end tomorrow. I wake up the next day, worlds still here.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Maybe you should fish more this summer and see for yourself, thats a novel idea huh?..Oh let me guess your allowed to only fish a weekend every other month.

You armchair quarterbacks are the reason why most of the very experienced Fly-fisherman have left this site years ago.

Go practice your reach-cast ,tie some flies, and go fish!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

See some of you on the river this year, as far as the site that was my cameo that comes every couple years or so.

Ciao for now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Maybe you should fish more this summer and see for yourself, thats a novel idea huh?..Oh let me guess your allowed to only fish a weekend every other month.

You armchair quarterbacks are the reason why most of the very experienced Fly-fisherman have left this site years ago.

Go practice your reach-cast ,tie some flies, and go fish!
    Armchair quarterbacks and ego maniacs. And then you all run off when someone offers an opinion that differs from yours. Like we're all pining away for your nuggets of knowledge every 2 years. Get over yourselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Nazi View Post
    Armchair quarterbacks and ego maniacs. And then you all run off when someone offers an opinion that differs from yours. Like we're all pining away for your nuggets of knowledge every 2 years. Get over yourselves.
    Kudos.

Same old, same old.
    Twenty years of the same issues and arguments...
    Predictions of doom...

And we'll go out and fish, catch fish (or not)...
    come back to these boards and hear it all again...

Be careful though, TN.
    You'll be insulted for your choice of career or your lack of fishing experience or your audacity to question...

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Nazi View Post

The problem here is that you have an opinion on how the rivers are affected by smaller releases due to less reservoir capacity.If you fished the System more often you would understand first hand that it's not about opinions its about facts.

Nobody said the fish would die or disappear, all that was said was that the fishing would suck, and it would hurt the fish to a degree..When you have low water you have higher temps that start to move up river.

I've seen when the temps where to warm to fish unless you where in the no kill or higher up on the river.When that happens the fish have to move up as well.Thats not good.

Have you ever seen the fish stacked up like sardines in the WB in the summer? I have many times..Thats not conducive for fish habitat let alone fishing.

It makes no sense how you or anyone can even try to pass an opinion on something that you know little or nothing about, and probably get up to the D a couple times a year.

This is why many of the experienced fly-fisherman have left this site.

I came in yesterday to back up Brachy who's a friend and fishing partner…I see guys who don't fish the System arguing with a guide ?…You should put your egos aside and maybe try to learn something from a guy like Brachy…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

The problem here is that you have an opinion on how the rivers are affected by smaller releases due to less reservoir capacity.If you fished the System more often you would understand first hand that it's not about opinions its about facts.

Nobody said the fish would die or disappear, all that was said was that the fishing would suck, and it would hurt the fish to a degree..When you have low water you have higher temps that start to move up river.

I've seen when the temps where to warm to fish unless you where in the no kill or higher up on the river.When that happens the fish have to move up as well.Thats not good.

Have you ever seen the fish stacked up like sardines in the WB in the summer? I have many times..Thats not conducive for fish habitat let alone fishing.

It makes no sense how you or anyone can even try to pass an opinion on something that you know little or nothing about, and probably get up to the D a couple times a year.

I came in yesterday to back up Brachy who's a friend and fishing partner…I see guys who don't fish the System arguing with a guide ?…You should put your egos aside and maybe try to learn something from a guy like Brachy…
    First of all, I said nothing of the sort, I offerred an observation, that you got all butt-hurt over. I didn't kwow that I'm not allowed have an opinion, sorry, but my opinion has not changed.

And your right, I don't know all of the intracacies and details. But I do get the big picture objective of both fishermand and NYC. You will be arguining this flow issue forever because your goals are philsophically different that those of NYC. They want to ensure enough water for 10 million people, and to a much lesser degree, flood protection. We fisherman want better fishing. Having enough drinking water fundamentally means not letting it go, and therein lies the issue. The needs of people will always outweigh the needs of fish. I do not foresee a solution that will satsify everyone. Throw politics into the mix, and its even less likely. If it weren't for that Montague number (driven by drinking water needs), we'd be fishing for sunnies in the summer. And if there ever was a drought that severe in duration, I don't doubt for a second that they'd turn the taps off everywhere but where that Montague number needed to be met.

And I am a guide now (plus I know guides way more knowledgeable than you two, and who are also smart enough not to involved in these online battles).

TR is offline "You can observe a lot just by watching." Y. Berra
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I came in yesterday to back up Brachy who's a friend and fishing partner…I see guys who don't fish the System arguing with a guide?
    --------

Morning Joey Tut.

'Tis true that many of the old salts have departed this board. Coz, Kenny, Bruce and a handful of others since word on the river is that this BB has become something akin to digital cesspool.

Even The Big Old Spinner lurks the board from time to time between various real estate closings as well as trips to Trenton.

At least that's where he says he going.

However, you still have a handful of dudes that have plied the water for many years that still participate in the frivolity: Joe D., Brachy, TR and some others that use pen names -- not exactly chopped liver, eh?

But as Obama has said many times:

It is what it is.

I think he said that. Maybe it was Romney.

But I digress.

And we now have The Trout Nazi (can't wait to see his logo on his driftboat and business cards this year -- still in production but word is is that it's a cross between a Simms like silohuette of a trout rising over an a skul and bones with an Iron Cross in a field of red, white and black, he's the newest UDR guide who is as regular on the board as a blue cheese burger at Lydia's and, in addition, we also have the venerable Beetle to lessen the pain.

So, all is not lost as we anxiously await the beginning of yet another season on the Upper Delaware River.

Kind regards and tight lines always,
    TR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hsbe.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	10374

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TR For This Useful Post:

flyI4 (03-28-2014)

Thread Information