Simms
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    982 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Willow cuttings on Musky work day - Saturday March 29th - vols needed!

It has taken 3 months to get a free collection permit from the state, but I have finally succeeded in getting permission to cut native willows from a part of Allamuchy Mountain State Park on the former Tilcon quarry site. I need volunteers to help cut the willows, bundle them up, haul bundles to a few sites along the Musky, and plant them by sticking them into the ground as deep as you can at one of three sites. Details:

• 9 am meet at Tilcon quarry site which is off Kennedy Road in Mount Olive Twp. between Waterloo Road and Waterloo Valley Roads and a short 100 yards or so south (east) of the Musconetcong River where the Kennedy Road bridge goes over the upper river. It's a short distance south of where I-80 passes over the Musky.

• Bring gloves and pruning sheers or a small hand saw and wear old clothes. Bring your fishing gear for later to hit Point Mountain TCA or other special regs waters if you have time.
    • You will see a large metal gate leading into the lake that was once a gravel quarry. This is being stocked with landlocked Atlantic salmon, FYI.
    • As soon as we obtain enough planting materials which will be entirely dependent on the # of volunteers we have, we will disperse to and of three sites which are: 1) the Pump House Restaurant off rt. 46 at the Hackettstown/Mount Olive/Washington Township border, site of the former Gruendyke Mill dam (# 1, route 46 west, Hackettstown) to plant upstream of the former dam where we still need some more willows. 2) At the removed Finesville Mill Dam on the lower river on Musconetcong Street in Finesville (Pohatcong Twp.) to plant the Warren County banks still in need of plantings and some on the Hunterdon banks on state lands above the nasty bamboo thicket if you know where that is. And 3) immediately upstream of where I-78 crosses the Musky along Asbury-Bloomsbury Road just north of rt. 78 and above where route 173 meets Asbury-Bloomsbury Road on a small farm field with little or no tree cover (private property I have permission to access for the day).

You can PM me or simply show up on Saturday. If we get enough plant materials, we can also hit these spots to plant them on Sunday, but I have limited time Sunday morning to supervise, so please reach out (lightenup, for example) if you plan to help Sunday because I can still put you to work either way if you can help that day.

Many thanks from TU!

Similar Threads:
    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    664 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Re: Willow cuttings on Musky work day - Saturday March 29th - vols needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    It has taken 3 months to get a free collection permit from the state, but I have finally succeeded in getting permission to cut native willows from a part of Allamuchy Mountain State Park on the former Tilcon quarry site. I need volunteers to help cut the willows, bundle them up, haul bundles to a few sites along the Musky, and plant them by sticking them into the ground as deep as you can at one of three sites. Details:

• 9 am meet at Tilcon quarry site which is off Kennedy Road in Mount Olive Twp. between Waterloo Road and Waterloo Valley Roads and a short 100 yards or so south (east) of the Musconetcong River where the Kennedy Road bridge goes over the upper river. It's a short distance south of where I-80 passes over the Musky.

• Bring gloves and pruning sheers or a small hand saw and wear old clothes. Bring your fishing gear for later to hit Point Mountain TCA or other special regs waters if you have time.
    • You will see a large metal gate leading into the lake that was once a gravel quarry. This is being stocked with landlocked Atlantic salmon, FYI.
    • As soon as we obtain enough planting materials which will be entirely dependent on the # of volunteers we have, we will disperse to and of three sites which are: 1) the Pump House Restaurant off rt. 46 at the Hackettstown/Mount Olive/Washington Township border, site of the former Gruendyke Mill dam (# 1, route 46 west, Hackettstown) to plant upstream of the former dam where we still need some more willows. 2) At the removed Finesville Mill Dam on the lower river on Musconetcong Street in Finesville (Pohatcong Twp.) to plant the Warren County banks still in need of plantings and some on the Hunterdon banks on state lands above the nasty bamboo thicket if you know where that is. And 3) immediately upstream of where I-78 crosses the Musky along Asbury-Bloomsbury Road just north of rt. 78 and above where route 173 meets Asbury-Bloomsbury Road on a small farm field with little or no tree cover (private property I have permission to access for the day).

You can PM me or simply show up on Saturday. If we get enough plant materials, we can also hit these spots to plant them on Sunday, but I have limited time Sunday morning to supervise, so please reach out (lightenup, for example) if you plan to help Sunday because I can still put you to work either way if you can help that day.

Many thanks from TU!
    Rusty..It about friggin' time with the details..if my son doesn't want to go to Greenberg's train show, then I will help on Sunday.....I'll know tomorrow...I will PM you at some point tomorrow..

P.S. Show me once, and no more supervision is needed....

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (03-25-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    982 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    Rusty..It about friggin' time with the details..if my son doesn't want to go to Greenberg's train show, then I will help on Sunday.....I'll know tomorrow...I will PM you at some point tomorrow..
    Yeah, sorry. I "only" gave the state a few months to issue a free permit that required no formal review by them to issue. And I still had to write a letter, send two emails and then after that make two more calls this week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    982 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Off to drop off the completed permit. Now all I need are lots of volunteers!!!

Hope to see some of you Saturday.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

It looks like rain from Friday until Sunday. I was planning on coming on one, Sat or Sun. Is it a go if it rains?

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    982 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    It looks like rain from Friday until Sunday. I was planning on coming on one, Sat or Sun. Is it a go if it rains?
    Tomorrow (Saturday) is a firm "go". We are not planning to work on Sunday, however. I secured the permit and hour or two ago. Also of note: depending on what map you use, the former Tilcon Quarry site is either on "Kinny Road" or "Kennedy Road". It is between Waterloo Road and Waterloo Valley Road. Sorry for any confusion!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    982 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks to those that turned out last Saturday. We got a ton of willows cut and planted. I drove past our two planting sites today after the flows were up, but everything looked fine and we dodged the bullet. Here's a link to the story on the Ridge & Valley TU site: Willow Plantings along the Musconetcong River | RIDGE & VALLEY CHAPTER

Thread Information