Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Whats you favorite fly line

The nice thing about fly rods & fly lines today is that none of the manufacturers are making junk. Lines have improved quite a bit in recent times with a good variety of tapers and sizes to match most everyone's casting style & preference.

Personally I'm not a fan of the heavier than standard lines that Rio, Sci Angler, Orvis, Wulff & others have for most of my uses, but can see how for others they definitely improve their casting. They do come in handy to increase the load on fast rods when short cast would be the order of the day, and a line is a lot less money than buying another rod

I look at rods like a car and the lines like the tires. Different performance grades and different applications come into play. I wouldn't take a sports car with low profile tires off roading. That all being said, I use mostly Hydros lines and when dealing with wind and/or distance I favor the 3D, Airflow Ridge lines cast well for me too. The Orvis Streamer Stripper works very well when bank banging from a boat. In the end, if I had to choose lines from just one manufacturer I think I'd be happy with Sci Angler.

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe D For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (02-17-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 1 Post

My favorite line is from Blazing Saddles " somebody go back to town and get a whole shitload of dimes"

As for fly lines SA VPT on a softer rod like a Winston B3X or the GPX on the faster action rods. I have heard good things about Airflo lines and will be giving them a try.

"Give a man a fish and he will ask for tartar sauce and french fries"

Thomas Sowell

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan_B For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (02-17-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Cortland 444 Peach DT. I use it on my 3wt B IIt, 4wt Z X L, 5wt S P / R P L / D S, & 7wt R P L. Most of these rods are medium action rods, especially the B II t & D S rods.

Unfortunately, Cortland's company has gone through some changes and I'm not certain as to the future of this product. I do have Hook & Hackle DT 5 on a back up reel. Seems to be somewhat similar to the peach line in its characteristics, being very supple. Seems to have a different, narrower, diameter and an olive color.

I do have Rio Gold on my 8-weight 9 9 rod. That is the best weight-forward line I've used. I have three or four seasons of use with this line and with proper cleaning care, it is still in great condition.

Rio Steelhead/Salmon line on my Z switch rod. That is fantastic nymphing line on a switch rod.

I think I am happy with the Gold & Steelhead/Salmon lines because they have longer front tapers (50ft on the Gold, 64ft on the Steelhead line) which perform, within most practical drifting distances, much like the DT lines I prefer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thrashers.wheat For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (02-19-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have used wullf lines since they came out

dry flies only

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tbflyman For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (02-20-2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tbflyman View Post
    i have used wullf lines since they came out
    that explains all the new bright colors

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    Terenzio, handmade artificial silk.......it's a double taper, last 20 years.....floats like a cork, and fits my needs for small stream to mid sized rivers perfectly ..........you should all give it a try........
    I thought you were do trying to peddle your greasy lines.

Thread Information