Royal Wulff Products
    flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sage's warranty/replacement policy on discontinued models

I was browsing online looking at some discontinued sage rod models and it appears a lot of them are coming down in price. The XP new is being sold now in the 300-400's range, a nice drop from where it was for a long time even after it was no longer their premier rod on the market or at least the newest one. On Sage's website, they say that if the rod is discontinued and cannot be repaired, they will give you a rod of similar quality. I don't think there are any rods that sage makes that come anywhere close to their XP or Z-axis -unless sage is giving me a sage one , which i doubt is what they consider of "similar quality". I was hoping someone on this board that has dealt with a broken XP or Zaxis since sage discontinued the rod could shed some light on how the replacement was handeled. I'm tempted to buy these new XP's and Zaxis rods online, but without a fair warranty/replacement policy on sage's part, these rods would only be good until broken the first time. These things happen so im cautious to buy

Similar Threads:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Sage's warranty/replacement policy on discontinued models

Most rod companies will consider a rod of similar quality to be the rod that filled the place the discontinued rod once occupied. If it was their top price point rod, the replacement would be their top price point rod. They also stockpile blanks when they discontinue a rod because that's when the greatest breakage returns might occur (go figure).

I once returned a SLT with a broken tip, paid the handling fees and got the rod back with a new tip top stuck on and a rod an inch and a half shorter than what it was. Had I known that was what was going to happen, I could have done the same thing for a buck or two and saved the shipping and handling fees. So, you never know.

With the rod discounted the way it is, and that you like it so much, buy two. One for a back up.

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe D For This Useful Post:

flyI4 (02-05-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    I was browsing online looking at some discontinued sage rod models and it appears a lot of them are coming down in price. The XP new is being sold now in the 300-400's range, a nice drop from where it was for a long time even after it was no longer their premier rod on the market or at least the newest one. On Sage's website, they say that if the rod is discontinued and cannot be repaired, they will give you a rod of similar quality. I don't think there are any rods that sage makes that come anywhere close to their XP or Z-axis -unless sage is giving me a sage one , which i doubt is what they consider of "similar quality". I was hoping someone on this board that has dealt with a broken XP or Zaxis since sage discontinued the rod could shed some light on how the replacement was handeled. I'm tempted to buy these new XP's and Zaxis rods online, but without a fair warranty/replacement policy on sage's part, these rods would only be good until broken the first time. These things happen so im cautious to buy
    The ZAXIS was replaced by the Sage One, so they should (in theory) replace it with a Sage One if you break your Z Axis.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

http://www.savebristolbay.org/

REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

http://www.roehard.com

http://www.glsteelheadco.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CTobias For This Useful Post:

flyI4 (02-05-2014)

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

thanks, great information

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    thanks, great information
    My buddy broke his switch sage one and they sent him a brand new one. He broke it in the mid section, so just make sure you don't just snap the tip.

Mark Twain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    990 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

They will still have XP blanks for many years to come in stock. I had a RPL+ blank replaced many years after that rod was replaced by their XP. But should they not for some reason, like Joe D said, they would give you a Sage One. Don't expect that, though, for at least another 10 or even 20 years. It doesn't cost rod companies $700 to build a rod, it costs them $700 with their initial profit to repair or replace your rod several times over its life, pay their employees, and stock all those rod components from previous models.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

JC I have broken my Sage RPL+ twice. This is the rod before the XP, which I bought on sale when discontinued many years ago. They were able to replace the tip no problem both times. I think they stockpile spares for just such an occasion. They are just covering their backsides. But if you can get a upgrade than why not? Anyway Sage will stand behind it one way or another. No worries, buy it, that is a good deal on a good rod.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 27 Times in 27 Posts

Man, you guys are a bunch of Klutz's. I have not had to send a rod back for breakage to date. Might i suggest, you guys not buy anything made of bamboo. This is reserved for those who do not have five thumbs on each hand, like Beetle and myself

To look good is to fish good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    990 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WBDluver View Post
    Man, you guys are a bunch of Klutz's. I have not had to send a rod back for breakage to date. Might i suggest, you guys not buy anything made of bamboo. This is reserved for those who do not have five thumbs on each hand, like Beetle and myself
    In 41 years fly fishing, I've only had to send back the one. It was my bad. Snapped it in my truck door like an idiot. Never blew one up on a fish. Shouldn't be any reason to if you fight fish correctly. Truck doors are another matter........

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    In 41 years fly fishing, I've only had to send back the one. It was my bad. Snapped it in my truck door like an idiot. Never blew one up on a fish. Shouldn't be any reason to if you fight fish correctly. Truck doors are another matter........
    I wish I could say the same. I've broken a lot of rods. I'm not sure who put all those trees along the banks of rivers and creeks, but they get in the way when walking.

Mark Twain

Thread Information