Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

A Trouts Eye Sight

Recently I have been reading a the book written by G.E.M. Skues titled " The Way Of A Trout With A Fly". After reading Skues take on a Trouts vision I too feel that Trout can see colors. I have seen Ozzie's underwater videos and still feel that Ozzie's video still does not capture all that a Trout is able to see. I feel that Trout can see other colors or the light spectrum that humans can not see. I also tend to agree with Skues that Trout once the color and looks of a fly imitation is just right gets so focused that they do not see the hook or ignore it all together. Ozzie has done his work with underwater cameras but keep in mind it's just a camera. Trout as we all know have two eyes one on each side of it's body. So the vision and data gathering of a Trout is completley different than a camera or humans perspective. Keep in mind that under water cameras do not capture all the colors of the light spectrum. Also keep in mind that UV, White, and Infa red light plays a major factor as well into a Trouts Visability and what they truly see. It amazes me when I read Skues and see how his take was before Ozzie's underwater videos came out and am very amazed of this mans knowledge and take compared to Ozzies film. Please I am not knocking Ozzie or his great work in any way. Keep in mind that being an optical Engineer for some time that I felt some factors were missing that would solve the mystery in a Trouts vision. Yes under water films and dives due provide tremendous views and how sun light or lack of can hinder or aid in what a Trout see's. But this is only the tip of the iceberg. Also when I think that Trout can see color it explains specialy at night why Trout will take some color patterns over others. I find this very interesting and feel Skues was ahead of his time. Just my thoughts. Anyone want to add or debate or share some information that I am not aware of or provide some additional learning materials would greatly be appreciated.

Andy B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Andy

Trout can see all the colors of the spectrum and can also see in shortwave as well as the ultra violet part of the spectrum humans cannot see.

Also keep in mind that trout do see differently and much better than we humans do.A trouts eye also has movable lense which enables them to focus in on close objects much better.The eyes on the sides of the head is also a BIG factor since each eye can work independently and there range of vision is broader.

The reason fish can see so well at night is that there color sensitive cone cells actually will retract at dusk and there black and white cone cells take over so to speak thats why at night a white fly or black fly is all you would ever need.Its the sillouhette and size thats imortant since thats what they will still see very sharply.

Andy If your interested in the way a trout really see's based on scientific data and mathematics I suggest you read

" A Ring In The Rise" by Vincent Marinaro

"The New American Trout Fishing" by John MERWIN

Also various research done by

(All this work below can be found in a university library).

Fenner 1990
    Harmon and Cline 1980
    And especially anything written by Ringler.

JOE.T

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Nice summary Joe... Hope things are well!

Another similar but differnet question... how well do fish see out of choppy water either disirubed by water movement or wind movement? I remeber a day on the WBD a couple of years back when I stumbled on trout rising in the middle of a long flat, 2 ft deep and no structure to speak off and no current. However, the wind had whipped up some pretty good small waves... e.g. 4 to 6 inches or so. I fished for them directly downstream as it was the only way to get the fly to them in the wind (couldn't cast and this position put them downwind from me). I nailed a couple of them... First, I presume they were in a spot you would not expect as the wave action provided cover and second, they couldn't see me throught he surface turbulence. Make sense?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Another great book that deals a lot with color issues is "The Dry Fly: New Angles" by Gary LaFontaine. One of the best books there is I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Fred

The do not see as well in choopy water,and thats why as you know its easier to "dupe" a fish in riffs or choppy water.The Speed of the current,clarity,sunlight all play a role as well as how close or far to the surface the fish is.

It all comes down to light refraction-hmmm another day for that one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B
    Anyone want to add or debate or share some information that I am not aware of or provide some additional learning materials would greatly be appreciated.

Andy B
    Yeah Andy... here is a singular thought that needs to be said...
    Your wet flies are Beautiful.

My advice to you is:
    Keep your fingers Near the Vise,
    and Away from the Keyboard.

PS... If you got problems w/ Ozzie's Videos,
    maybe you should show him how it SHOULD be Done.

Seriously,
    Serotonin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Serotonin:

First thanks for the compliment on my wet flies second here is one of my lines from the origional post that started it all:

I am not knocking Ozzie or his great work in any way. Keep in mind that being an optical Engineer for some time that I felt some factors were missing that would solve the mystery in a Trouts vision. Yes under water films and dives due provide tremendous views and how sun light or lack of can hinder or aid in what a Trout see's.

I did not knock Ozzie or will speak against his great work. I was just merely trying to state that a camera underwater still can not pick up all the differnces that a Trout see's. Also due to a Trouts eye having Rods and Cones a camera still would miss colors and refractions and reflections of light in the color spectrum. Also water which can act as a piece of fiber optic cable can intesify light or in other cases due to dispersion and Chromatic Dispersion tone down colors or block them completely even in clear water. Ozzie's films are the first inventive and authorative work to come out of anyone. It's a great video but only captures a fraction of what is truly going on. To help to understand light and color and it's affects I suggest you read a book titled DWDM Technology (Data In A Rainbow) By Stamatios V. Kartalopoulos. The reason for this book is because it explains light and it's affect in wave guides (Fiber Optic Cable) and all it's issues that man knows today. Now this does relate back to a trout's eye sight because the water and the spectrum of light all come into affect. With out these two other issues factored into the equation then all else is useless.

Respectfully

Andy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Sorry Andy.

That was one of my buddies trying to be funny,
    posting from my computer, using my name.

I may not show him a great stretch of fishing tomorrow,
    just for pulling that stunt.

It's very interesting... what you had to say about
    the trout's vision.

Cheers.
    Steve.

Thread Information