Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Question NPS Registered Guide Numbers wanted

I've been unsuccessfully searching for a website which lists the NPS registered guides ALONG WITH THEIR REGISTRATION NUMBER. I want to identify the stupid and inconsiderate guides who row or drift through my rising fish, instead of going behind me. The number on the arrowhead is the easiest way to do that.

Can anyone give me a link showing who owns what registration number?

Similar Threads:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: NPS Registered Guide Numbers wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I've been unsuccessfully searching for a website which lists the NPS registered guides ALONG WITH THEIR REGISTRATION NUMBER. I want to identify the stupid and inconsiderate guides who row or drift through my rising fish, instead of going behind me. The number on the arrowhead is the easiest way to do that.

I also hate when people float over my rising fish.

But to be honest, some times you really can't float behind people and going over their fish is the only option. Most of the time, a wade angler is on the shallower bank fishing to fish on the far side. In an instance like that, you can't row behind someone because the chances are you'll get your boat stuck or risk hitting someone.

Just ask fly14, I know he has had a few hit and floats on the upper D.. Lol

"Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 24 Posts

Most of the issues you've likely had were not with guides, but with rookie owners of drift boats. The guides only have their reputations to go on for future bookings, so the last thing they want to do is piss off the other anglers on the river. I'm not saying all guides are perfect because they are not, but I've floated with many of them over the years and I can never remember a bad incident during a float. But I can't tell you how many times the rower of the boat was confused by how various wade anglers positioned themselves in ways that made passage beyond them nearly impossible without someone getting screwed. Wade anglers need to communicate with boats so conflicts are minimized as we waders often stand where the boats need to float on by.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

This is going to PO boaters, but consider....

Does owning a boat mean you're rich enough, and privileged enough, to do what you'd never consider acceptable if you were wading?

If you chose a boat that's too big for you to portage, and has too much draft to "float around", that shouldn't be the wade fishers problem.

A large body of water with navigation buoys marking shipping lanes is different. Watercraft are expected to use the shipping lanes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

I do not drift, I wade. I have people coming by me with kayaks and canoes a lot. Just because you stand in the river does not give you squatters rights. I have had no issues with floating craft. I have never had them put down fish for any extended amount of time. Courtesy is extend both ways. If you standing the stream that is the only navigational point in that section of the river. What do you expect the drift boat to do? Most guys are just trying to get past you and continue to enjoy the day. My suggestion is don't fish where there is drift boat traffic. There are thousands of miles of trout streams in the northeast, most can not be fished from a drift boat. If it bothers you that much find somewhere else to fish. Don't bitch it solves nothing and it makes you look like a self-serving cry baby.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tomfly For This Useful Post:

chromefinder (01-11-2014)

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

This thread is ridiculous-- i hate getting crowded out as much as the next guy, and when it happens I say something to the guy- but to say you are going to report a guy who who rows over your fish to hurt his reputation in an attempt to negatively impact his ability to earn a living ( the inplied threat in your original post) is just a dickhead move. As it was said above, the fish usually start rising again 10min later. Finally, as a boat owner ill say that the few times i do row over someones fish is when I had no clue they were fishing to a rising fish and crowded conditions force u to pick a lane and row through that water. From that experience, I now ask as a boat " are u fishing to risers" and vice versa alert an oncoming boat "ive got risers here can u row behind me". You will almost never have a problem if u do this from a guide on the river. Dont assume everyone that rows mid river is trying to go over yoyr fish- sometimes u dont know and when the guy isnt casting its harder to tell.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    This thread is ridiculous-- i hate getting crowded out as much as the next guy, and when it happens I say something to the guy- but to say you are going to report a guy who who rows over your fish to hurt his reputation in an attempt to negatively impact his ability to earn a living ( the inplied threat in your original post) is just a dickhead move. As it was said above, the fish usually start rising again 10min later. Finally, as a boat owner ill say that the few times i do row over someones fish is when I had no clue they were fishing to a rising fish and crowded conditions force u to pick a lane and row through that water. From that experience, I now ask as a boat " are u fishing to risers" and vice versa alert an oncoming boat "ive got risers here can u row behind me". You will almost never have a problem if u do this from a guide on the river. Dont assume everyone that rows mid river is trying to go over yoyr fish- sometimes u dont know and when the guy isnt casting its harder to tell.
    JC, I pretty much agree with you but I've been the only boat in a large pool like Cemetery pool to have guides row within 2 rod lengths and say to me, "Ohh, I'm sorry, didn't realize you were fishing here". I'm not going to mention the two names that immediately come to mind only because I know they are generally nice people but come on!

Who cares if I'm fishing to rising fish or not, you don't row that close to someone in such a large pool! If you like, I can privately let you know who they were.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Again, does being in a boat make behavior that would be discourteous if you were wading, suddenly become OK?

If I had hiked a few miles to get to my favorite pool, and you were already fishing there, you'd expect me to find another spot, or wait.
    If I had floated there, why shouldn't I portage around you....

It's about courtesy... If you believe in it....
    If you're just to lazy to give a damn, that when the topic gets ridiculous.

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Dennis, sadly I think the WB along with the upper main have seen a dramatic shift in "standards" when it comes to etiquette and how much room an angler is entitled to. That said, I agree that different anglers apply those standards differently. Its a two way street though and wade fisherman are at times as responsible for the issues on the water as the boats. More times than I can count, I try to ask what the guy below me wants me to do and I can tell by his body language and his refusal to talk to me that he's just pissed a boat is coming by in the first place. This refusal to communicate is usually followed by the guy casting right as I'm passing behind him to again carry on his pussified display of passive aggressive bevavior. All good, I'm still going to have fun and the one time i was hooked, I jerked the leader, snapped off the tippet, and just kept rowing not even saying anything. Two can play that game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I'm with you DC I always go behind the wade guys and if its tight I'll walk it around. But if you drift the East or the West sooner or later you eventually will pass over a pod of risers someone is fishing. If I have a good feeling someone is fishing a spot that is tight I'll move in slow and anchor if possible, to give them the opportunity to move back and let me through without disturbing the fish to much. Most times they just wave you through at least I gave them a choice. I know one guide who dosn't really care if he cuts you off or puts down your fish . He just pulls right infront of you and cast to the fish you were on.No need for names but it is guys like this who make it tough for all drift boaters.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

I'm really sorry I posted that publicly. I thought it was a private message to JC. I didn't mean to post names. I removed the post because it was meant to be private to JC.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    I'm still going to have fun and the one time i was hooked, I jerked the leader, snapped off the tippet, and just kept rowing not even saying anything. Two can play that game
    That was one of my favorite flies you stole...

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thread Information