Delaware River Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 934 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 82 Times in 67 Posts

Beetle not feeling properly respected

So the Christmas swap is approaching its conclusion, and it really feels like something of a set up.

You get some great tiers like me and BHC, who tie at shows and have lots of pressure to tie Christmas ornaments at this time of year, making a swap a bit inconvenient to say the least.

So I'm tying flies for ornaments today, but will send out my completed swap flies asap, probably January 10 or so.

If any of you want ornaments instead, pm Mac for the price. He handles the business side of the Beetle Empire.

Similar Threads:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 657 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 30 Times in 30 Posts

Re: Beetle not feeling properly respected

Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    So the Christmas swap is approaching its conclusion, and it really feels like something of a set up.

You get some great tiers like me and BHC, who tie at shows and have lots of pressure to tie Christmas ornaments at this time of year, making a swap a bit inconvenient to say the least.

So I'm tying flies for ornaments today, but will send out my completed swap flies asap, probably January 10 or so.

If any of you want ornaments instead, pm Mac for the price. He handles the business side of the Beetle Empire.
    Ok step right up and place your orders. 12 beetle specials for a small cup of coffee. Guaranteed to not catch anything

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I'll take twenty..

Do you accept American Express??

"Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 7 Posts

GB sent me this video explaining why his flies are taking so long. I do not know what he is trying to accomplish but. It is definitely an ornament but I do not know is it is Christmassy

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    GB sent me this video explaining why his flies are taking so long. I do not know what he is trying to accomplish but. It is definitely an ornament but I do not know is it is Christmassy

WOAH!! If you could tackle the whole water-proof problem, this could be a cool invention. It is a VERY simple circuit. An actuator is a bullshit robotics term. What we have here is a modified solenoid covered in thread. This is the same basic technology that drives tattoo guns, the pistons in a car, or an alarm clock. He could have done this multiple ways, but it seems to me like he has coated the stem of the feather in magnetic paint. He has fixed this stem to the inside of a small hollow cylinder. He has wrapped a zillion turns of 1 continuous copper wire around the cylinder and he is applying an alternating current across the 2 leads of the copper wire. This induces a magnetic field inside the cylinder which acts on the charged stem of the feather, ultimately causing the feather to be repelled/attracted to the cylinder in sympathy with the speed of the alternating current's oscillation.

It wouldn't take long to find a better focal point for fixing the wings onto the body. All the copper would make the fly really heavy so you'd need to use something really buoyant like foam to keep the thing on the surface.

Who wants to patent conductive fly line and tippet?? Shit. You could have a battery powered oscillator in the order of 15 hz built into your reel and just flip it on once your dry is in the middle of a flat, still pool. The current would travel down the fly line and make the wings start flapping.

You could probably charge 2 cups of coffee for a setup like that....

...for a while I was building musical instruments out of sonicare toothbrushes....i also built a robot that would remotely manipulate the spring reverb tank in my fender twin...this was before the head cement...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 817 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

I'd like a cased caddis, but I don't want ant patent issues to deal with.

Hell no and it aint over now.......

Thread Information