Hatch Outdoors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Eric354 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

newbie in the market for a new rod

Hello,

I was recently introduced to fly fishing by my girlfriend who grew up fishing Colorado with her father.. I was born in the salt but after my first trip to Roscoe I fell in love the new challenge.

Her birthday is coming up and she has never owned her own fly rod and I'm hoping to change that. I recently purchased a tfo bvk with a Ross reel and we've been sharing it on the river.

I was looking for a 4wt for her but I'm new to this market and I was hoping for some help. I was researching the sage TCX but I think it may be a little too unforgiving.

I'm hoping to keep the rod and reel under $600 total. I've been looking at a few websites which have closeouts, which I'm unaware if I can mention or not and saw some nice sage reels 25%-30% off but no rods that fit the bill.

any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Re: newbie in the market for a new rod

I would like to meet your girlfriend.......

I'll sell you a G. Loomis pro 4X 5 wt....$250.00...you pick it up.....It is a fast rod, that is made for long casts, and fishing in the wind....If you have to use light tippets, don't bother, they will break on the hook set...the rod is not a good tool for fishing, but is awesome if you want to make hero casts...........I hate the god damn thing........I can't lie so, if you want it I'll take $200.00...you still have to pick it up.....I also have an Eagle Claw, spin fly combo rod...I'll sell it with a browning reel for $65.00 you pick it up......It is the outfit I learned on and very capable, but hard to cast well...the rod is a bit of a log...it is a 5wt also....

P.S. Goddamn is just an expression...sorry if I offend......

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I'm a lucky guy!

I should have mentioned that I'm from NY, that's a bit of a trip though I appreciate the offer.

we've been fishing drys and nymphs about size 14-18 so that may not be the best option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I'm in NJ......the address on my profile is Wrigley Field, as I am a Cubs fan...I know......don't say it.....

I wouldn't give any of these BOOBS on this site my real address.....I really will sell the rods...we can work out shipping.....

Unless you are like Crazy Joe!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    320 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm getting mixed messages here....

She introduced you to fly fishing...
    She grew up fishing in Colorado...
    BUT
    She doesn't have a fly rod... ????

IMHO: If she's more experienced than you, or if she's experienced enough to have a casting style, and preferences...
    SHE SHOULD PICK HER OWN EQUIPMENT !

If you buy her something that doesn't suit her style, as long as you have a relationship, she'll feel obliged to use it .... even if she hates it.

Most good tackle shops, will let her try a few rods, to see which one suits her.
    If going shopping together, isn't going to happen...
    Consider jewelry....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

tomfly (10-19-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Pete is right on the money. The rod is the only thing that is relevant. A reel is a reel, a line is a line, some of you may disagree; but a 30 dollar line and a 20 dollar reel will work just fine for catching trout. The rod is an extension of the fly fisherman or in these case fisherwomen. If the rod is not suited for the person casting it can causes problems. I have what would be considered medium speed style of casting. It is not a fast rod snap or a slow methodical technique. So I prefer a more medium action rod then a fast rod. I also have some trouble with my bamboos because they are slow. With the bamboo I am early and it causes the fly to catch the line and wind knots in the leader. With a fast rod, the rod has already loaded and is beginning to recover before I start to bring the rod in a forward casting motion. This causes the line to pile up. That is why I dislike my brother’s Hardy Zenith. It is a great rod just not suited for my style of casting.

Here is a good read on rod speed and how to pick a rod the is suited to your style.

Understanding Rod Action and Choosing the Right Rod for You | Orvis News

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    Pete is right on the money. The rod is the only thing that is relevant. A reel is a reel, a line is a line, some of you may disagree; but a 30 dollar line and a 20 dollar reel will work just fine for catching trout. The rod is an extension of the fly fisherman or in these case fisherwomen. If the rod is not suited for the person casting it can causes problems. I have what would be considered medium speed style of casting. It is not a fast rod snap or a slow methodical technique. So I prefer a more medium action rod then a fast rod. I also have some trouble with my bamboos because they are slow. With the bamboo I am early and it causes the fly to catch the line and wind knots in the leader. With a fast rod, the rod has already loaded and is beginning to recover before I start to bring the rod in a forward casting motion. This causes the line to pile up. That is why I dislike my brother’s Hardy Zenith. It is a great rod just not suited for my style of casting.

Here is a good read on rod speed and how to pick a rod the is suited to your style.

Understanding Rod Action and Choosing the Right Rod for You | Orvis News
    I agree with everything you say except the line is a line part...maybe this is true with plastic line, but put a Terenzio silk, or faux silk line on your reel and I believe you will think differently....

But this guy should still buy my Pro 4x..it is a great deal if you like that kind(fast) of rod.....I'll through in the Browning reel for nothing..it has a $30.00 plastic line on it that you can have also......anyone? anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

she fished with her fathers rods when she was 8-15, so she never owned her own rod and I don't think she has had enough exposure to have developed her own type of cast. I know she likes the 9 foot BVK that we have been using and would have to say she has a medium speed cast. if anything, perhaps I will just get her a reel and see if we can find some demo rods to test.

she knows how to fish and all of the basics but she is relearning how to cast and manage her line..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric354 View Post

she knows how to fish and all of the basics but she is relearning how to cast and manage her line..
    She sounds like she'll be fine, knowing all the basics of fly fishing but how to cast.

The cast comes later, a minor detail of the sport.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    but put a Terenzio silk, or faux silk line on your reel and I believe you will think differently
    Shut up about your fucking line. We all know you are getting paid to shill that greasy silk crap. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	punch.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	9781

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Eric354 View Post
    she fished with her fathers rods when she was 8-15, so she never owned her own rod and I don't think she has had enough exposure to have developed her own type of cast. I know she likes the 9 foot BVK that we have been using and would have to say she has a medium speed cast. if anything, perhaps I will just get her a reel and see if we can find some demo rods to test.

Is this a convoluted euphemism? ... Incestuous grossness?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    I agree with everything you say except the line is a line part...maybe this is true with plastic line, but put a Terenzio silk, or faux silk line on your reel and I believe you will think differently....

But this guy should still buy my Pro 4x..it is a great deal if you like that kind(fast) of rod.....I'll through in the Browning reel for nothing..it has a $30.00 plastic line on it that you can have also......anyone? anyone?

I am not into that nostalgic silk line come back. I wont criticize you if you want to go through all that extra work. I could never see myself having to dry and dress that thing every time I have to use it. That does not sound fun to me. Besides silk is made in china they have enough of my money already. I have a few of these silver label fly lines The best 20 dollars I ever spent for a line. Best of all and they are made in the USA. I still think a line is a line for trout fishing. As long as it has the proper weight and does not retain memory it should work just fine.

Floating Fly Fishing Line / Hy-Flote Extra Silver Label WF Floating Line -- Orvis

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thread Information