Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    680 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Re: newbie in the market for a new rod

Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    I am not into that nostalgic silk line come back. I wont criticize you if you want to go through all that extra work. I could never see myself having to dry and dress that thing every time I have to use it. That does not sound fun to me. Besides silk is made in china they have enough of my money already. I have a few of these silver label fly lines The best 20 dollars I ever spent for a line. Best of all and they are made in the USA. I still think a line is a line for trout fishing. As long as it has the proper weight and does not retain memory it should work just fine.

Floating Fly Fishing Line / Hy-Flote Extra Silver Label WF Floating Line -- Orvis
    Tom.. it takes 25 seconds to strip of 30 feet of line and hang it on a chair back....then it takes about 1 minute to reel it back up.......So a minute and a half...."all that extra work"....PLEASE ......It will last twenty years.......My plastic lines do work fine as well...although I am slowly switching my reels to all faux silk.....I am not saying plastic is bad, and when you use it a line is a line...I am saying that the Terenzio line I am using, is a lot more pleasurable to fish with than a plastic one.....in fact I fished with plastic line today and did just fine....but I prefer the suppleness and overall better performance of the synthetic silk......I wonder if they made the synthetic material in China? The line was made in Italy....

We should fish...I'll let you try it out......
    http://www.terenziosilklines.com/ind...mid=78&lang=en

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    Tom.. it takes 25 seconds to strip of 30 feet of line and hang it on a chair back....then it takes about 1 minute to reel it back up.......So a minute and a half...."all that extra work"....PLEASE ......It will last twenty years.......My plastic lines do work fine as well...although I am slowly switching my reels to all faux silk.....I am not saying plastic is bad, and when you use it a line is a line...I am saying that the Terenzio line I am using, is a lot more pleasurable to fish with than a plastic one.....in fact I fished with plastic line today and did just fine....but I prefer the suppleness and overall better performance of the synthetic silk......I wonder if they made the synthetic material in China? The line was made in Italy....

Artificial Silk
    Again with the line! LU you know I am just busting balls..... you are starting to convince me to at least think about silk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Take her into NYC for her birthday. Go to lunch at a nice place. Stroll down 5th Ave., stop in and see Rob at Orvis NY. Cast a rod on 5th Ave, pick one she likes then stop over at the diamond exchange, buy a ring or some other jewelry. Go to dinner, see a Broadway show... Give the girl from CO a taste of the east coast.

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe D For This Useful Post:

Pete (10-21-2013), Trouser Trout (10-23-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Artificial Silk
    How does this line cast with a faster action rod? Also, if I buy it, does it come with one of those tweed jackets with elbow pads and a pipe? Can I keep the jacket if I return the line?

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    680 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Nazi View Post
    How does this line cast with a faster action rod? Also, if I buy it, does it come with one of those tweed jackets with elbow pads and a pipe? Can I keep the jacket if I return the line?

I don't know.....I will be putting one on my Winston soon, but that is not fast either.......I do not like fast rods....I do not like tweed jackets......maybe you should talk to CMM, he is into sport coats......I will take the pipe though....... The website says they work well on modern rods.....

Would you like to purchase a G. Loomis Pro 4x? That is a fast rod....

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    494 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

You're all full of shit!

The line, the rod, the reel... It all makes the experience better. We could all get back and forth to work in a 1971 Ford Pinto but WHY WOULD WE WANT TO? We could all buy a BMW 7 series and replace the leather interior with and interior from a 1971 pinto but WHY WOULD WE WANT TO???

We can all catch fish with a stick and a line with a worm but WHY WOULD WE WANT TO????

Rods, lines, and a reel all have a different function. Each rod is different, each reel is different and each line is different.

I have some good reels and some shitty reels. The shitty reels stay home and the good ones come with me.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    680 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post
    You're all full of shit!

The line, the rod, the reel... It all makes the experience better. We could all get back and forth to work in a 1971 Ford Pinto but WHY WOULD WE WANT TO? We could all buy a BMW 7 series and replace the leather interior with and interior from a 1971 pinto but WHY WOULD WE WANT TO???

We can all catch fish with a stick and a line with a worm but WHY WOULD WE WANT TO????

Rods, lines, and a reel all have a different function. Each rod is different, each reel is different and each line is different.

I have some good reels and some shitty reels. The shitty reels stay home and the good ones come with me.
    I know I am full of shit, but this is why I choose the silk line!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

I don't know.....I will be putting one on my Winston soon, but that is not fast either.......I do not like fast rods....I do not like tweed jackets......maybe you should talk to CMM, he is into sport coats......I will take the pipe though....... The website says they work well on modern rods.....

Would you like to purchase a G. Loomis Pro 4x? That is a fast rod....
    I have a Triangle Taper on my BIIx. I've tried a variety of lines on that stick, and that line has transformed that rod. Don't see myself changing away from it unless I try something thats even better with that rod (so far I haven't heard of anything).

I've cast the Pro4x, and no dice. I would consider it for salt, but no bueno for trout. If I were to get any Loomis rod for trout, it would be the NRX LP. That rod casts soooo sweet.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric354 View Post
    Hello,

I was recently introduced to fly fishing by my girlfriend who grew up fishing Colorado with her father.. I was born in the salt but after my first trip to Roscoe I fell in love the new challenge.

Her birthday is coming up and she has never owned her own fly rod and I'm hoping to change that. I recently purchased a tfo bvk with a Ross reel and we've been sharing it on the river.

I was looking for a 4wt for her but I'm new to this market and I was hoping for some help. I was researching the sage TCX but I think it may be a little too unforgiving.

I'm hoping to keep the rod and reel under $600 total. I've been looking at a few websites which have closeouts, which I'm unaware if I can mention or not and saw some nice sage reels 25%-30% off but no rods that fit the bill.

any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

In order to properly assess the situation please post a pic of her in thigh high waders. Then we can all get a better idea of her casting ability

My biggest worry is that my wife(when I die) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Flytrap For This Useful Post:

dcabarle (10-23-2013)

Thread Information