Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 56
  1. #13
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey's scenic Ramapo Valley
    Posts
    2,765
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 444 Times in 295 Posts
    Chats
    42
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts


    Re: Ramapo River rock rolling project Saturday (Aug. 10th)

    Good turn-out from EJTU, and a Mahwah environmental youth group (MEVO ?). Oakland's Emergency Management Coordinator, was there, I'm told he is a new TU member.

    I didn't see either of the other Oaklanders that came last week, but Rich told me Gina was there, getting wet and moving rocks.
    Rich "passed" on the Boy Scouts. The kids from MEVO appear to be an older group. (HS & College aged)

    I started early, but was having physical "old phart" issues by a little after 10, so I left early.
    I'm glad I brought a pry bar. If I'd been doing some of the hand work, I wouldn't have lasted ten minutes.

    After many years as "online" acquaintances, I finally met Brian...


  2. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    5,893
    Thanks
    1,966
    Thanked 1,554 Times in 984 Posts
    Chats
    1921
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts


    Re: Ramapo River rock rolling project Saturday (Aug. 10th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Good turn-out from EJTU, and a Mahwah environmental youth group (MEVO ?). Oakland's Emergency Management Coordinator, was there, I'm told he is a new TU member.

    I didn't see either of the other Oaklanders that came last week, but Rich told me Gina was there, getting wet and moving rocks.
    Rich "passed" on the Boy Scouts. The kids from MEVO appear to be an older group. (HS & College aged)

    I started early, but was having physical "old phart" issues by a little after 10, so I left early.
    I'm glad I brought a pry bar. If I'd been doing some of the hand work, I wouldn't have lasted ten minutes.

    After many years as "online" acquaintances, I finally met Brian...
    I met the world famous Pete! It was great to put a face to a name. More importantly, he DOES own those Red Ball waders circa 1782

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  3. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey's scenic Ramapo Valley
    Posts
    2,765
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 444 Times in 295 Posts
    Chats
    42
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts


    Re: Ramapo River rock rolling project Saturday (Aug. 10th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    I met the world famous Pete! It was great to put a face to a name. More importantly, he DOES own those Red Ball waders circa 1782
    And they haven't leaked yet....

    Seriously,
    Did you stay till it was over?
    Did it happen at the work site?
    Since I only met him a week ago, and left early, I was waiting for you or a more active EJTU member to comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.eastjerseytu.org/
    ED Sikorski
    Ed Sikorski passed away this afternoon, August 17, 2013. Ed was attending the rock rolling on the Ramapo River of which he was an unofficial steward. He loved the Ramapo and fished it more than anyone. Ed will be remembered as a sportsman, outdoorsman and true gentleman.

    Details about funeral arrangements will be forthcoming when finalized.
    I met a lot of people that morning so names are a blur, but based on the picture, if Ed was the guy helping Rich organize, I think I was working right alongside him.

    When I decided it was time to "act my age", and admit I'd reached physical limits, I felt a little "wimpy" because he appeared to be from my age group, was working harder, and (seemed to) be holding up much better.


  4. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    5,893
    Thanks
    1,966
    Thanked 1,554 Times in 984 Posts
    Chats
    1921
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts


    Re: Ramapo River rock rolling project Saturday (Aug. 10th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And they haven't leaked yet....

    Seriously,
    Did you stay till it was over?
    Did it happen at the work site?
    Since I only met him a week ago, and left early, I was waiting for you or a more active EJTU member to comment.
    I met a lot of people that morning so names are a blur, but based on the picture, if Ed was the guy helping Rich organize, I think I was working right alongside him.

    When I decided it was time to "act my age", and admit I'd reached physical limits, I felt a little "wimpy" because he appeared to be from my age group, was working harder, and (seemed to) be holding up much better.
    It happened after lunch. We all went back to work in the river and he must have known he wasn't feeling well because he sat down near his truck and at some point took 2 aspirin, but didn't tell anyone he wasn't feeling well. The chapter president stayed behind (he also has some physical limitations) and heard someone gasping to get air. He and another volunteer still in the grove called 911 and when the police arrived with oxygen Ed was hanging in there. Same for the EMTs when the ambulance quickly arrived, but we were told he never made the hospital. He apparently had past heart issues and he probably should have known better. We were happy to have volunteers bring us bottled water a few times during the day and didn't need everyone lifting heavy rocks. I feel bad for his family.

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  5. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    4,221
    Thanks
    1,129
    Thanked 895 Times in 550 Posts
    Chats
    825
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts


    Re: Ramapo River rock rolling project Saturday (Aug. 10th)

    You guys are working people so hard their hearts are giving out?!?!

    At least he went out doing what he enjoyed.

    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

    http://www.savebristolbay.org/

    REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

    http://www.roehard.com

    http://www.glsteelheadco.com




  6. #18
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey's scenic Ramapo Valley
    Posts
    2,765
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 444 Times in 295 Posts
    Chats
    42
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts


    Re: Ramapo River rock rolling project Saturday (Aug. 10th)


  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

    CTobias (08-21-2013), Rusty Spinner (08-20-2013), Thursthouse (08-21-2013)

  8. #19
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey's scenic Ramapo Valley
    Posts
    2,765
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 444 Times in 295 Posts
    Chats
    42
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts


    Re: Ramapo River rock rolling project Saturday (Aug. 10th)

    Quote Originally Posted by CTobias View Post
    You guys are working people so hard their hearts are giving out?!?! ......
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    I........ We were happy to have volunteers bring us bottled water a few times during the day and didn't need everyone lifting heavy rocks. ........
    Don't believe it...
    The aspiring politician, that I recruited for him, is a former bartender.

    Did he ask her to serve drinks? ... NO !
    He put her in the deepest part of the River, and made her work with the heaviest rocks.


  9. #20
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey's scenic Ramapo Valley
    Posts
    2,765
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 444 Times in 295 Posts
    Chats
    42
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts


    Re: Ramapo River rock rolling project Saturday (Aug. 10th)

    More pictures were posted:

    East Jersey Trout Unlimited :: Weir Repair 8-17-2013
    East Jersey Trout Unlimited :: Weir Repair 8-17-2013
    East Jersey Trout Unlimited :: Weir Repair 8-17-2013

    Images numbered with three digits, were posted last week.
    Images numbered with one digit or just a descriptive title, were posted over the week-end.
    Images numbered with "IMGP" followed by four digits, were posted yesterday.

    ~~~~~~~~~EDIT~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MEVO also posted a few pictures (more "college girl" wet T-shirts, and cleavage than in the TU photos).
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7250716&type=1

    ~~~~~~~~~EDIT 8/29/13~~~~~
    EJTU added another picture to the third page, and a fourth page of photos
    East Jersey Trout Unlimited :: Weir Repair 8-17-2013

    How I spent my 70th birthday...


    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #21
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey's scenic Ramapo Valley
    Posts
    2,765
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 444 Times in 295 Posts
    Chats
    42
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts


    Re: Ramapo River rock rolling project Saturday (Aug. 10th)

    For future reference:

    At the "myoaklandnj" message board where I recruited a couple of locals, we got into a friendly debate about whether or not it would have been more efficient & safer to use machinery. My position was that, for a one day project, without an access road, it would have involved too much preparatory time.

    A local septic contractor interrupted....
    http://myoaklandnj.invisionzone.com/...=40#entry36035
    Quote Originally Posted by len5713
    I just want to put this out there, in the future, I would gladly volunteer my time and machine power to help on any project like this or anything that would be a benifit to the community. All I need is a little advance notice and if I can do it I will.
    I'm not familiar with Len's equipment inventory, but septic contractors usually have at least one backhoe.


  11. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey near new york city
    Posts
    6,622
    Thanks
    1,610
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 942 Posts
    Chats
    1100
    Groans
    92
    Groaned 82 Times in 67 Posts


    Re: Ramapo River rock rolling project Saturday (Aug. 10th)

    Pete, you're looking good.

    Keep taking care of yourself.


  12. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    5,893
    Thanks
    1,966
    Thanked 1,554 Times in 984 Posts
    Chats
    1921
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts


    Re: Ramapo River rock rolling project Saturday (Aug. 10th)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    For future reference:

    At the "myoaklandnj" message board where I recruited a couple of locals, we got into a friendly debate about whether or not it would have been more efficient & safer to use machinery. My position was that, for a one day project, without an access road, it would have involved too much preparatory time.

    A local septic contractor interrupted....
    http://myoaklandnj.invisionzone.com/...=40#entry36035
    I'm not familiar with Len's equipment inventory, but septic contractors usually have at least one backhoe.

    That also would have required a DEP permit which hand removal did not.

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  13. #24
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey's scenic Ramapo Valley
    Posts
    2,765
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 444 Times in 295 Posts
    Chats
    42
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts


    Re: Ramapo River rock rolling project Saturday (Aug. 10th)

    Article in NJTU newsletter "Riffles".
    See page 4:
    http://www.eastjerseytu.org/Riffles/Riffles-2013-09.pdf


Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 9

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •