Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Looking for hike-in fly fishing in NJ, NY and PA

No offense, I've just never seen an angler down there who wasn't a) fit and b) over 50 ... That said, this old fart plays basketball with really old farts over 60 who could undoubtedly make the trek in and back and survive! Seriously though, sorry JeffK. If anything, I have the utmost respect for the generation before me for many reasons beyond fishin. With respect though to this pursuit, you guys and gals have all the knowledge and hope you are passing it down. I know I love fishing with anyone that has it...and ish I could more often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Finally made it to the gorge. Hiked down the bottom access (road off of 101) on Saturday just to see it. River was very high and brown. Bushwacked over to High Falls.

Monday tried the upper access off KFR. Hit the first yellow trail, looked at the river (down and somewhat clear) and ran back to the car to change rods. Then fished it and hiked down to the second access and the two big pools. Kids were jumping in pool one so I fished the lower and grabbed a few on nymphs. Walked out and ran into a kid who said the action starts at dusk and he gave me a few pools to try next time.

OP, this is probably the place you should try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    Southern California sucks on so many levels, a lack of trout fishing being one of many. My dad is from the Sierras and took me to his favorite ponds and streams out there many times when I was a kid. I'm also a transplanted CA boy...but up north in Nancy Pelosi country
    I have no idea what is in the water there. At least the water they drink. I went to school in Santa Barbara. The local streams above the foothills held quite a few rainbows. The water was usually low and the bows would take a variety of dry's with a little stealth. That was in the mid/late seventies. Lord knows things have changed. That state has a death wish. There are so many clear examples of bass-ackward thinking yet many just refuse to wake up. I bite my tongue to spare you the opine from my soap box.

My Mother never warned me about Fly Fishing.

Thread Information