Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Re: Looking for hike-in fly fishing in NJ, NY and PA

Quote Originally Posted by briansnat View Post
    Bear Swamp Brook (in either Mahwah or Oakland, not sure which) has a population of wild trout in the section between the Boy Scout camp and Route 202. It would be a pretty good hike to get to it even though it follows a road, but the gate is locked and there is no parking in the area. Several hiking trails reach it. I never fished it myself but I've seen people there. I saw one guy land a brookie about 9 inches. There aren't many places to cast and it's so narrow you don't need to. The people I've seen use long rods and drop the flies into pools. ......
    Easiest way to access Bear Swamp Brook, and avoid a parking ticket, is to hike in from Ramapo County Reservation.

Take the main road (silver trail) to MacMillan Reservoir, then look for the "Yellow-Silver" trail on your left.
    Take the "Yellow silver" trail to Bear Swamp Brook. It will come out near a bridge between the two waterfalls.

Wear hiking boots, and bring drinking water.
    Hip boots not essential, but could be handy if you're willing to carry them in.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramapo.jpg 
Views:	2111 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	9550  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by briansnat View Post
    Bear Swamp Brook (in either Mahwah or Oakland, not sure which) has a population of wild trout in the section between the Boy Scout camp and Route 202. It would be a pretty good hike to get to it even though it follows a road, but the gate is locked and there is no parking in the area. Several hiking trails reach it. I never fished it myself but I've seen people there. I saw one guy land a brookie about 9 inches. There aren't many places to cast and it's so narrow you don't need to. The people I've seen use long rods and drop the flies into pools.

Though it might be slightly over your 3 hour limit, Echo Lake (near Woodstock) in the Catskills has trout. It's about a three mile hike from one direction and a bit longer from
    the other. In the western Catskills is the appropriately named Trout Pond. A few miles north of Cooks Falls. Actually these days the southern approach is washed out so you have to come in from the north. It's about a one to three mile hike to the pond (depending on your approach). I've caught some nice trout there. You can also camp near the pond (as long as you are 150 feet from it), or you can pull out along the access road and spend the night there as well. Also in the Catskills in the East Branch Neversink (near the town of Denning). If you take Denning Rd to the end there is a small parking area. From there it is about a mile hike to the river and an unmarked trail follows it basically to its beginning.

Closer to home, not trout, but if you want to flyfish for bass and panfish there is Lake Sonoma in Norvin Green State Forest. It's about a mile hike either along a dirt road, or the nearby hiking trail. Road brings you to the north end of the land and the trail brings you to the south end. You should be pretty alone up there other than the occasional group of illegal four wheelers going by. There is also Ramapo Lake (not sure if it is physically in Oakland, Ringwood or Wanaque) in Ramapo Mountain State Forest. It's about a 3/4 mile hike, but it is also a very popular area, though once you reach the lake you can easily find a quiet spot for yourself. Most hikers stop at the dam.
    Fantastic. Thanks Brian and Pete. I've never fly fished for bass but I'm not opposed to give it a shot. In fact I'm reading some Gierach right now that's making me want to see how it goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

As others usggested, definitely go to the Neversink Gorge...gorgeous hikes on well marked trails. You won't see a lot of anglers because it is a solid 40 minute hike of moderate difficulty to get to Denton Falls. Search the web for "Neversink Unique Consevation Area" and you'll find state maps with parking marked.

I was there on Sunday, just beautiful. Blue marks the main trail and yellow tags take you down billy goat like trails to the river. There are some very decent fish. I hooked three, landed one about 12". The largest one was probably 16-18 inches. There are bigger since it gets such little pressure as none of the old farts ever go there because of the strenousness of the hike.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

fluid1, I'm heading there this weekend to hike, but was led to understand that the water to too warm to fish below Bridgesville. Did you take a temp reading?

Never been, so am curious about access. #17 to Rock Hill then follow Katrina Falls Rd to end and park? Are the various yellow trails marked as to where they lead? Recommend one? Are there trails that follow the river or are you wading hoping your way up.

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    389 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Easiest way to access Bear Swamp Brook, and avoid a parking ticket, is to hike in from Ramapo County Reservation.

Take the main road (silver trail) to MacMillan Reservoir, then look for the "Yellow-Silver" trail on your left.
    Take the "Yellow silver" trail to Bear Swamp Brook. It will come out near a bridge between the two waterfalls.

Wear hiking boots, and bring drinking water.
    Hip boots not essential, but could be handy if you're willing to carry them in.
    Lots of big Pickerel in Bear Swamp lake, and I don't think too many people fish it. Some relatively untouched ponds up in the scout camp also.

And I currently hold KOM from Pierson's Ridge to the Lookout on the white trail. If anyone mountain bikes, they'll understand.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    fluid1, I'm heading there this weekend to hike, but was led to understand that the water to too warm to fish below Bridgesville. Did you take a temp reading?

Never been, so am curious about access. #17 to Rock Hill then follow Katrina Falls Rd to end and park? Are the various yellow trails marked as to where they lead? Recommend one? Are there trails that follow the river or are you wading hoping your way up.

Thanks.
    I didn't take a temp, but Sunday was the end of the cool front that had moved into the area previous 3-4 days. The area had been having 50 degree nights, so it wasnt an issue. Also, I think I have read that the Neversink Gorge runs cool all season compared to other streams, but, I would check as it has warmed recently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Check the temps before you go. It is normally too warm for trout after mid June.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Here is the temperature gauge for the Neversink just above the gorge.
    USGS Current Conditions for USGS 01436690 NEVERSINK RIVER AT BRIDGEVILLE NY

Normally it gets too hot for trout by about mid June. This recent cold, cloudy, wet stretch has kept it cool. Yesterday it was 57F in the AM and peaked at about 63F. It's good to check though. For example, it was routinely over 70F in July.

And watch it about the old fart comment. Did you fish both waterfalls or climb over the rock with the 1830's tourist inscriptions? I commonly do and am in my 60's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
    .......And watch it about the old fart comment. Did you fish both waterfalls or climb over the rock with the 1830's tourist inscriptions? I commonly do and am in my 60's.
    That's the "prime of life", wait ten years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Will do. Is that wadeable at that cfs? I believe it was 700 yesterday, but has come down considerably.

I'm taking a novice out and not sure where to go. BK/W seem too warm and thin. WB/EB seem too tough. I thought the NS as it might hold more pocket water and he could highstick it.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Aggressive little brooks that hit attractors would be great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Gorge is tough wading. I don't like going down there if the water is above 180 cfs. However, it fishes well when the water drops, as long as the temps are OK.

Upper Willow temps are fine. However, it is a little skinny and most of the action has been right at dark. Up around the village of Willowemoc and down to the covered bridge will have brookies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks. Looks like everything is blown out for the weekend. Am now regretting my "I hate bass" stance.

Thread Information