Hatch Outdoors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Catskills Report 5/24-6/1 and Beetle Sighting

Fished the tailwaters and the mainstem last week every day for an hour or two between working. Conditions changed pretty much every day as we went from 40 degrees and rainy to 90 degrees and sunny in less than a week, with crazy water levels due to blown out reservoirs. I mostly threw big, bushy dries (drake comparaduns, elk hair caddis and stimulators) with pheasant tail or prince nymph droppers. Tons of broken 5x tippet, a sore wrist and some nice fish to show for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EB-Brownie-II.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	9386

Two highlights of the trip...

Ran into the Beetle on Memorial Day near Stockport. I was momentarily distracted by his ornate, day-glo, fly-fishing doo-rag, but I recognized him anyway. He reminisced about his NEFF days while blind-casting a shallow riffle and turned a couple of nice fish. It was like VH1 Behind the Music for a minute with him telling me about the old days in which he posted every time he had had a couple of beers, but I think he's actually living in intentional obscurity, honing his fly-fishing game with Joe D. as the Yoda to his Luke, which would make the Stockport riffle Dagobah I guess.

Name:	2013-05-31_16.51.34.jpg 
Views:	715 
Size:	300.4 KB 
ID:	9387

The other highlight was last Friday with the EB pumping at a muddy 4000 cfs at Fish's Eddy, my cousin and I had the audacity to float the upper EB with Ryan Furtak, a young guide from Cross Currents who is a beast behind the oars and possesses wisdom beyond his years. The river was up in the trees in places and spots to anchor were few and far between, but we managed a few very big browns on big black muddlers and double bunnies, with a 23" 7-pound monster taking the blue ribbon for the day.

Name:	23-inch-brown-from-upper-eb.jpg 
Views:	896 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	9388

Similar Threads:

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mob201 For This Useful Post:

Barleywine (06-04-2013), flyI4 (06-04-2013), lightenup (06-03-2013), Lonewolve (06-04-2013), MACFLY (06-03-2013), tomfly (06-04-2013), Trouser Trout (06-03-2013), Trout Guy (06-04-2013)

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Re: Catskills Report 5/24-6/1 and Beetle Sighting

congrats dude.....many delaware "pros" have started fishing the system, caught mystery 24' browns on a rusty spinner just before dark , and in reality popped a boner over an average 21'' brown that prompted the filing of a guide license and a series of pre-mature claims of stardom on a river system that needs some humility. That fish is legit, and is one that will be tough to beat, no special camera lense required! Nice work.

-JC

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flyI4 For This Useful Post:

dcabarle (06-04-2013), mob201 (06-04-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 486 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Those are some great looking fish. Mind posting the GPS coordinates, I'd like to put a few of those on the grill.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dcabarle For This Useful Post:

Dr. Gonzo (06-04-2013), Matt Grobert (06-04-2013), Rusty Spinner (06-04-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    congrats dude.....many delaware "pros" have started fishing the system, caught mystery 24' browns on a rusty spinner just before dark , and in reality popped a boner over an average 21'' brown that prompted the filing of a guide license and a series of pre-mature claims of stardom on a river system that needs some humility. That fish is legit, and is one that will be tough to beat, no special camera lense required! Nice work.

-JC
    Care to name a few we should stay away from?

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'll be nice, but if the camera lense thing had you feeling a bit paranoid don't worry I didn't have you in mind.... its pretty hard to say a man who floats the Wb with no shirt and a bathing suit is taking himself too seriously. As for the guide license, im pretty sure we both just wanted that free wulff line

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    I'll be nice, but if the camera lense thing had you feeling a bit paranoid don't worry I didn't have you in mind.... its pretty hard to say a man who floats the Wb with no shirt and a bathing suit is taking himself too seriously .
    Not at all paranoid. I had to go re-read that to see what the hell you were talking about! Camera lens??? Got it.

This past weekend I was up on the WB. Put in at Stylesville, got down to the 17pool in 20 minutes, called the shuttle and asked that they leave the car in Balls Eddy instead of Hale eddy. At this point, I took my shirt off and realized that I'd forgotten my bathing suit. DAMMIT!

I laugh at all the people who float past me in their $400.00 waders + who the hell knows what they're wearing on their feet. Shirts with the vents in them. Man... all you need is a bathing suit and suntan lotion. I almost got ready to say it's better than the beach. It could be if we had some girls in their bikini's along the way.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcabarle For This Useful Post:

flyI4 (06-04-2013), mob201 (06-04-2013)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm with you DC. I wet-waded Wednesday through Sunday in jean cut-offs. Ryan couldn't believe I showed up at his boat in shorts with no shoes on, but that didn't stop us from catching fish. Trout don't give a shit what you're wearing. I grew up fly fishing in jeans and old sneakers out in Washington State. Only bought waders after a couple cases of mild hypothermia and (more importantly) one case in which I think a lamprey tried to mate with my leg.

Even expensive rods are now a waste of money in my opinion. I fish TFOs and Orvis Clearwaters - rods that would have cost $1000 a decade ago but now can be had for under $200.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 657 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 30 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mob201 View Post
    I'm with you DC. I wet-waded Wednesday through Sunday in jean cut-offs. Ryan couldn't believe I showed up at his boat in shorts with no shoes on, but that didn't stop us from catching fish. Trout don't give a shit what you're wearing. I grew up fly fishing in jeans and old sneakers out in Washington State. Only bought waders after a couple cases of mild hypothermia and (more importantly) one case in which I think a lamprey tried to mate with my leg.

Even expensive rods are now a waste of money in my opinion. I fish TFOs and Orvis Clearwaters - rods that would have cost $1000 a decade ago but now can be had for under $200.
    Let me tell you about the last time Dennis and I floated. The river was around 500cfs and cold as shit. Dennis fished in cutoff shorts for a few hours. We floated down a bit and found a guy fighting a very nice brown andchecasked for some help. Dennis looked at me and said it wasto high and he didn't want his nut sack to shrivel up. I netted the fish forthe guy and looked Sam good doing it

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MACFLY For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (06-04-2013), WBDluver (06-04-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,541 Times in 979 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 23 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post
    Care to name a few we should stay away from?
    Someone needs to start that thread!

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    Let me tell you about the last time Dennis and I floated. The river was around 500cfs and cold as shit. Dennis fished in cutoff shorts for a few hours. We floated down a bit and found a guy fighting a very nice brown andchecasked for some help. Dennis looked at me and said it wasto high and he didn't want his nut sack to shrivel up. I netted the fish forthe guy and looked Sam good doing it
    That's pretty much accurate minus the cutoff shorts!

Name:	DSC_0561-b.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	9390

Is Sam your new boyfriend?

Name:	DSC_0604.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	9391

"Hey Sam, after I net this for you, we'll ditch my chauffeur and hit the motel".

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dcabarle For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (06-04-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 657 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 30 Times in 30 Posts

I never heard from him again...ungrateful bastard
    As I recall you had on a brown that was bigger than the one in the photograph. That was a pretty good day
    Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post
    That's pretty much accurate minus the cutoff shorts!

Name:	DSC_0561-b.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	9390

Is Sam your new boyfriend?

Name:	DSC_0604.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	9391

"Hey Sam, after I net this for you, we'll ditch my chauffeur and hit the motel".

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 35 Times in 24 Posts

If my wallet doesn't groan I don't want anything to do with it. #labelwhore
    Quote Originally Posted by mob201 View Post

FOR THE HATERS, HOW TO FISH BEADS!!!!!

http://www.njflyfishing.com/vBulleti...sssssssss.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information