Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

short report from the catskills

With the weather looking so good today I decided to give it a go up in the catskills today even after last week's disappointing outing and cold winter feel. I got up there around 11 and by the time I got my boat to the water I already saw lots of stoneflies. I then saw 2 fish rise right off the boat ramp and decided to spend some time right there. Got those 2 fish which were nice 15-16 inch brownies that were fat/healthy after a long winter. I made the mistake of leaving the pool thinking the fish would be on the bugs in other areas, which was not the case. The next 6-7 miles I floated, only 2 pools had fish rising, and they were not as consistent as the fish up top. The wind was non-existent today and seeing stoneflies all over the water and few risers was frustrating knowing that these type of windless days are few and far between and I'd be happy to see another 3-4 days that are this calm all spring. In between risers, I did get a couple real good sized fish to chase a streamer with the intent of hitting it, and both times I had unluckily pulled the fly out of the water right when I saw the fish. Overall, a nice day and a couple fish on dries in march. I'll take it. End of next week and the fish will be eating good in certain stretches.

Similar Threads:

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to flyI4 For This Useful Post:

Barleywine (03-30-2013), GARYB (03-31-2013), Johnny Utah (03-31-2013), Johnw (04-01-2013), Lonewolve (03-31-2013), MACFLY (03-30-2013), NJpatbee (03-31-2013), PRomano (03-31-2013), Rusty Spinner (03-31-2013), tomfly (03-31-2013), Trout Fever (03-31-2013), Trout Guy (03-31-2013)

3. The Following User Says No Thank You to flyI4 For This un-Useful Post:

JW1970 (03-31-2013)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: short report from the catskills

Wow, give it a break already...do we really need your reports?....counted 8 banana boats today with lazy ass fisherman.......probably 1,108 banana boats by mid-April......world class fishing.

Our fish start to feed and yep, someone in a banana boat is slapping a fly line over their head.

Nothing but the facts.

CDun

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by comparadun View Post
    Wow, give it a break already...do we really need your reports?....counted 8 banana boats today with lazy ass fisherman.......probably 1,108 banana boats by mid-April......world class fishing.

Our fish start to feed and yep, someone in a banana boat is slapping a fly line over their head.

Nothing but the facts.

CDun
    Well you know this is a fly fishing site.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tomfly For This Useful Post:

WBDluver (03-31-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 657 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 30 Times in 30 Posts

Nothing but the facts. Now that I have finished whining I will go back to sucking on my thumb.

CDun

"Our fish" You think the fish belong to you. What a ginormous boob you are
    just the facts by Macfly

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Nothing but the facts.

CDun
    If you had a banana boat, you could stay below buckingham all spring and avoid the crowds that you so despise. Stop fishing the west branch and the upper mainstem if you're so butt hurt about the people, those are the only 2 spots that really get super busy. You could also fish the lower east branch which has no boat ramps and limited private boat access. I thought a local guru like yourself would be crafty enough to plan around the crowds rather than keep going to your same favorite pools and complaining that there is someone in your favorite spot that no one ever used to fish. Guessing what people will be doing and planning around this is just 1 of many factors you need to consider on where the best place to fish is on a given day. I didn't see 1 boat yesterday

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flyI4 For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (03-31-2013), tomfly (04-01-2013)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Listen, there are more banana boats/stinktoons below Buck year after year all the way down to Damascus. Never ends with you lazy ass bananas, drop your anchor, make a 20ft cast, hook and land the fish if lucky, keep it out of water for a minute for your picture so you can post on internet sites and become a big "star".........no wonder our waters get more crowded year after year after year. Then we have the guides/outfitters.....you must to have your head examined to pay $350+ to float a section of river and hook a few fish if your lucky with a bologna sandwich for lunch.....oh.......then throw the tip in there.

Hey, sure, the upper river and WB is more crowded, but one cannot escape bananas/stinktoons and even others crowding you out downriver. Even when you think you have a nice little stretch to yourself........you look up and you and your father plant your big asses right BELOW me......remember Fly14?.......I thought you knew about river ediquette? When I see someone in a spot, I go elsewhere and find other water. I guess it doesn't really matter....that's the norm these days with the explosion of the half-ass yuppies up here.

If you did not see another banana boat yesterday then those cigars your smoking are effecting your brain.

And Maceeeeefly.........you know very little and are the real boob master.........and that's a fact.

CDun

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Still upset about the one time I fished 150 yards below you at the buckingham pool I see. I didn't even know that was you until you said it on here years back and it makes sense since you were the most miserable human being I've ever encountered on stream in all the days I've spent out there. I'm glad I was able to ruin your day(or should I say evening since there were 45 min of daylight left at the time and fish rising everywhere for 3 anglers to cast to) as a 16 year old kid at the time. I'll see you out there the weekend of the 14th, along with all the other fly fishing film tour drifters that will be out in droves that weekend. Make sure to wave as I float on by.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to flyI4 For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (03-31-2013)

TR is offline "You can observe a lot just by watching." Y. Berra
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    With the weather looking so good today I decided to give it a go up in the catskills today even after last week's disappointing outing and cold winter feel. I got up there around 11 and by the time I got my boat to the water I already saw lots of stoneflies. I then saw 2 fish rise right off the boat ramp and decided to spend some time right there. Got those 2 fish which were nice 15-16 inch brownies that were fat/healthy after a long winter. I made the mistake of leaving the pool thinking the fish would be on the bugs in other areas, which was not the case. The next 6-7 miles I floated, only 2 pools had fish rising, and they were not as consistent as the fish up top. The wind was non-existent today and seeing stoneflies all over the water and few risers was frustrating knowing that these type of windless days are few and far between and I'd be happy to see another 3-4 days that are this calm all spring. In between risers, I did get a couple real good sized fish to chase a streamer with the intent of hitting it, and both times I had unluckily pulled the fly out of the water right when I saw the fish. Overall, a nice day and a couple fish on dries in march. I'll take it. End of next week and the fish will be eating good in certain stretches.
    ------

Happy Easter all.

Good report fly14.

Saturday was sunny and bright so that might have played a role with lack of topwater action.

Today and tomorrow - overcast and no wind which is better.

Tomorrow, Monday, from 2:00pm on could be excellent before the cold front comes in.

BTW, NYC DEP cut Cannonsville's releases in the past 36 hours from 700cfs to 325cfs (now at 463cfs). WB has dropped from 3.5' to current 3.1'. My guess is you'll see it below 3 feet at Hale Eddy by Monday afternoon. Not much water in tribs.

Beaverkill is running at one third the historical median right now. 2.4 at Cooks Falls or 381cfs. Median is 935cfs.

I will probably float Long Eddy to Callicoon on Main Stem later this week and report back.

Tight lines.
    TR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	purcellsfancy.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	8979

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TR For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (03-31-2013), Rusty Spinner (03-31-2013)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Fly14,

It was 20 yds away from me where you and daddy set up shop.

And sure I said a few words to you guys that you should have used more common sense when there were hundreds of yards above me all
    the way to the access that you could have fished......but...no.....right below me without even a word said to me as I was there first.

There were at most 6 to 8 fish working below Buck that day....not fish rising everywhere.......wow again.

No one ruins my day. Let me repeat, no one ruins my day on the water. I just find it amusing how you yuppies act, or is that react?

TR does the SAME thing as he crowded me out with his banana boat a few times below Hankins. Oh.......he does not give a crap, like you, and 50% of the banana yahoos.
    Looking forward to TR's bullshit report later this week?

Fly14, you exaggerate to the max.....I hate to say this about human beings but you are an idiot and an average fisherman. Shame on you youngster. You should stop the cigars.

I should have known better to waste my precious time here. Yes, facts.

CDun

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

no cigars yesterday, so clearly someone else was in violation of your river rules of etiquette again yesterday. No worries, I'll see u out there the 14th buddy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,541 Times in 979 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 23 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    no cigars yesterday, so clearly someone else was in violation of your river rules of etiquette again yesterday. No worries, I'll see u out there the 14th buddy
    JC, make sure you tell your dad he's a yuppie.

I've always found it amusing and disturbing at the same time that hunters and anglers fight amongst ourselves while those conspiring against us to end all hunting and fishing are united in their attempts to do so. We fight over stupid things like whether or not a drift boat or a pontoon boat should be allowed on huge rivers like the upper D while PETA and the like laugh at us because we are divided within our own ranks. In all my years both floating and wading on the upper D, I've never had one serious issue with another angler. If I think I see a problem coming, I politely say something to the other angler and avoid any conflicts. And, at the end of the day, there's always plenty of water to find fish in if things are a bit crowded. Live and let live and you'll greatly reduce your stress levels. Hell, it's fishing after all, not a death match to the end...

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 1 Post

Thanks for the report JC. I may be up there on the 14th as well. Cdun, I think you have some issues you need to work out. maybe try your hand for starters. Idk how anyone could complain about traffic on the upper d. Its part of the experience/fun this time of year. My advise with you would be to fish elsewhere if you are going to be a crybaby

"We are what we repeatedly do. Success, therefore is not an act, but a habit." ~Adam Frey

19. The Following User Says Thank You to skipper3245 For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (03-31-2013)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information