Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

ASMFC Atlantic Menhaden Management Board Meeting

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission's Atlantic Menhaden Management Board will meet on December 14, 2012 from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM in Baltimore, Maryland to consider approval of Amendment 2 to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for Atlantic Menhaden.

Cross Current Fishing: Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission's Atlantic Menhaden Management Board Meeting

The meeting is to be broadcast via the Internet.

Similar Threads:
    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Re: ASMFC Atlantic Menhaden Management Board Meeting

This sounds bogus to me. From what I just read; they do not know what the current size of the population is. Or if there is a definite problem with current harvest quotas. It sounds to me like the EPA is creating another problem where none exist. How can you go on the record suggesting there is a decline in population depending on what data point you observe? What the hell kind of science is that. Fix your bogus or inclusive data before you try to pass an Amendment that may affect people’s lively hoods. This is just another fine job the government in indulging in. Ok I am done with my rant.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    Ok I am done with my rant.
    There is a huge problem with bunker stocks being decimated. Overfishing is just one of them. Not fixing the quotas can have an even greater impact on peoples livelihoods. These are fish that have been labeled "the most important fish in the sea" since they are at the bottom of the food chain and are a major food source to many other commercially valuable species. By its very nature, fisheries management is mostly science but yet part art. Studied and observed data show that bunker (menhaden) are in a serious decline.

In order to protect the balance of the food web, forage species need protection. Overfishing to produce pet food, fertilizer and other products imperils many other ocean species from bluefish to whales.

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

its all that damn fishoil and omega crap thats also contributing to this

Thread Information