Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was at the "rip" from 5-9 am. I saw nothing. Actually, it was getting pretty choppy when I left. There was no swell, just quite a bit of chop. Went to north beach from 9:15-10:30 and caught one small blue (about 1 1/2 lbs) on a surf candy. I have to say it was a little disappointing after seeing your pics yesterday!!!

I'll be back down early Sat morning with the 2 bro-in-laws.

Jonboy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

FT: It may have been your friend but the fellow I saw was wearing a baseball cap and was with another friend who took
    a picture. I wasn't that close so can't really say how tall, but 40's seems about right. I only noticed it was an albie when he was holding it up for the picture.

JB: a couple of anglers said it was about 10-10:30 so "you just missed it" (which is what I usually do *L*).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I took a trip out of Corsons Inlet (OC) (which is almost 100% barred over now, so finding a way in and out was tough) last evening looking for albies. Our inshore waters are normally too shallow for pelagics to come right to the sand (no deep troughs next to the beach), so we searched around the lumps about 3 or 4 miles out. I saw one albie porpoise out of the water, like albies do, but the bait wasn't there so they weren't showing. They are probably all still way offshore down my way. Tons of adult bunker were schooled up in the area, though. I'd like to see an albie take on a 2lb bunker!! Mullet are still mostly in the back bays, but gearing for their exit very very soon. Saw quite a few schools on the surface along the sod banks with a few bass swirling behind, but nothing was out front or even in the inlet. It's still a tad too early. They be out front on the full moon next week, probably, if not sooner, more than likely when we get our next set of hurricane-swelled snot water.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Spoke to a bunch of guys who were out in a boat at the hook today. Albies in mubers around the false point, once the tide changed they hit the beach. Guys say the fish would have been in easy fly casting distance for a good period of time. Guessing I will be out there for sun up tomorrow.

anyone in?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I will most certainly try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

if I get up, I'll head out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I read a report yesterday that the albies were up in the Sandy Hook Bay marina recently - guy was catching from his boat and didn't even have to untie it or start up the engine. Drove around the Hook and on down to Long Branch last night and , although conditions were great, it looked pretty dead (no birds etc). Good luck out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Hey John, I heard the same thing about the albies inside the hook. Taking the boat out tomorrow and see what I can find. My home computer is on the fritz, I'll report back on Monday. Colman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Well I caught my first false ablie on the fly on Saturday and it was insane.....I caught it inside the hook, on a line from the coast guard station to Earle about a half mile from the station. Now I know why you guys are crazy about catching these on fly rods. My daughter got pretty sick on Sunday so I could only watch the schools busting. Can't wait for next weekend. Colman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Unhappy

You northerners are making me jealous!!! I took another boat ride yesterday, and there wasn't a fish busting the surface down here for an area of over 57 square miles! We cruised along about 19 miles of beachfront (south of Townsend's Inlet to north of Great Egg Inlet), inshore and off to over 3 miles out (to the lumps and buoys). No albies, no blues, no bass, no mullet, no bunker, no spearing, no anchovies, no birds... no life. It looked like the dead of winter, or the Dead Sea. The inshore water looked like crap, so that may have contributed to some of the problem, but not all of it. Offshore it was much bluer. I did manage to snag a little cocktail blue under a buoy, then spot a few channel jacks chasing my clouser. But that was it. Hopefully this upcoming NE blow and the full moon will wake the fish up down here, because it doesn't seem like anything else will. All our mullet are still huddled up way in the backwaters. A few pockets have spilled out, but not like they should have. Blues and bass are all over them in the back, so that was the only saving grace of yesterday's long trip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Colman,

From a boat? or from the beach?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Coleman - just found out I know your buddy, Pierre. Small world.

Thread Information