Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Is this right or wrong?

The 100's of thousands that you read about in the media for a tuna is always for a fish caught in Japanese waters and is sold at auction in Tokyo to either a Tokyo sushi chain or one in Hong Kong. The restaurants get a lot of world wide publicity for the stunt of grossly overpaying, though they probably pass the cost to their customers like a steak off a blue ribbon winning auctioned steer. They attract customers to their restaurants who just want to taste what such an expensive slice of tuna is like.

In 2010 a 310 pound dressed bluefin returned to the fishermen about $2,879.00 before expenses. At the same auction where the record breaking $730K fish sold last season ($1,200 p/lb) other tuna sold for between $6 and $15 per pound.

The fish in discussion wasn't worth 100's of thousands.

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe D For This Useful Post:

Trouser Trout (09-30-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

Re: Is this right or wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
    The 100's of thousands that you read about in the media for a tuna is always for a fish caught in Japanese waters and is sold at auction in Tokyo to either a Tokyo sushi chain or one in Hong Kong. The restaurants get a lot of world wide publicity for the stunt of grossly overpaying, though they probably pass the cost to their customers like a steak off a blue ribbon winning auctioned steer. They attract customers to their restaurants who just want to taste what such an expensive slice of tuna is like.

In 2010 a 310 pound dressed bluefin returned to the fishermen about $2,879.00 before expenses. At the same auction where the record breaking $730K fish sold last season ($1,200 p/lb) other tuna sold for between $6 and $15 per pound.

The fish in discussion wasn't worth 100's of thousands.
    Thanks for that comment Joe, those numbers did seam crazy to me...... I still don't believe anyone abandoned that fish...... You keep making sense like that I may even book a trip with your sorry ass.

Hell no and it aint over now.......

Thread Information