Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Re: Presidential Candidate Q & A on Recreational Fishing

The facts and numbers never lie, The Government tries to hide them and manipulate them but the ugly truth keeps popping up. Case in point (Donít you find it alarming that the decrease in the unemployed directly considers with the rise in food stamp recipients. So the facts suggest when an individuals unemployment benefits are extinguished, they are eligible for food stamps and welfare. This also shows a favorable decrease in the unemployment rate.) (Blatant numbers manipulation) If you take you head out of the sand and look at the big picture. The facts are there. The truth is; we have a Government that has an insatiable apatite for its citizenís money. There are not enough monetary resources in the world that can quell that.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    692 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    The facts and numbers never lie, The Government tries to hide them and manipulate them but the ugly truth keeps popping up. Case in point (Don’t you find it alarming that the decrease in the unemployed directly considers with the rise in food stamp recipients. So the facts suggest when an individuals unemployment benefits are extinguished, they are eligible for food stamps and welfare. This also shows a favorable decrease in the unemployment rate.) (Blatant numbers manipulation) If you take you head out of the sand and look at the big picture. The facts are there. The truth is; we have a Government that has an insatiable apatite for its citizen’s money. There are not enough monetary resources in the world that can quell that.
    The problem is, both sides of the aisle have this problem...republicans talk a good game....smaller government..less spending..lower taxes, but it never works out that way...and to put the topper on that, they are hypocrites and push a religious agenda...Democrats do support the (how should I say it?) not wealthy to get votes, and they are also lying jackasses who pander to anyone for a vote....and lie to us all....what do we do when the entire government has only the interests of their donors and special interest groups in mind? There is a quote from Thomas Jefferson....
    Periodic revolution, “at least once every 20 years,” was “a medicine necessary for the sound health of government.”

Here is another I find interesting....
    "I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country"(too late for this one)
    and another...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
    The people who created this country were not stupid, and I firmly believe their ideals hold sway with what is happening now.....
    I have one more thing to say to the Republicans and Democrats that run our country today...s

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't think that it has been hidden that we are coming out of the worst recession since the Great Depression. We got in this mess through tax cuts, two wars, unfunded prescription plans, individual and corporate greed manifested in unscrupulous practices, and a downturn in the global economy.The cutting of jobs by government but especially by private business and corporations did lead to high unemployment and many people collecting benefits and becoming eligible for food stamps. The result is an upward spiral of debt caused by increased government spending on the social safety net and lower revenues because less people are working and paying taxes. When there are jobs, there are few legitimate reasons not to work and take care of yourself and family, but I do not begrudge folks accepting government assistance when they can't find work. Life on unemployment, welfare, or food stamps is not an existence that I envy, and I do not resent those that accept government help to survive. Jobs are created by business responding to demand by hiring workers. Corporations are not creating the jobs our country needs despite record profits and large cash reserves because there is no demand. We need to put America back to work repairing and improving our roads, bridges, schools, ports, airports, and the electric grid. All of this work is done by private businesses using American workers. The money they earn will give them the ability to buy and create the demand for other businesses to grow. The workers will be contributing to the tax revenues and be subtracted from the social welfare roles. The truly needy must be cared for, but those that can work should work, and if they don't, they should lose benefits. It is time that those who can most afford it invest in rebuilding America. The improved economy will pay dividends on their investment. I know that this means higher taxes for some and short term increases government spending and the deficit, but I have yet to see any other solution that makes sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

What I think you are saying is, we got in this mess because republicans started acting like democrats....... And your solution is exactly what we have had for years of under obama.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    The problem is, both sides of the aisle have this problem...republicans talk a good game....smaller government..less spending..lower taxes, but it never works out that way...and to put the topper on that, they are hypocrites and push a religious agenda...Democrats do support the (how should I say it?) not wealthy to get votes, and they are also lying jackasses who pander to anyone for a vote....and lie to us all....what do we do when the entire government has only the interests of their donors and special interest groups in mind? There is a quote from Thomas Jefferson....
    Periodic revolution, ďat least once every 20 years,Ē was ďa medicine necessary for the sound health of government.Ē

Here is another I find interesting....
    "I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country"(too late for this one)
    and another...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
    The people who created this country were not stupid, and I firmly believe their ideals hold sway with what is happening now.....
    I have one more thing to say to the Republicans and Democrats that run our country today...s
    I agree, but if you are going to quote our founders you must also believe they would overwhelmingly be considered conservatives by todays standards....

Hell no and it aint over now.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Not really. Not a lot of infrastructure spending was approved by house and absolutely no tax hikes, not even on the very wealthiest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    Not really. Not a lot of infrastructure spending was approved by house and absolutely no tax hikes, not even on the very wealthiest.
    Fishhead, why do you think the "wealthy" should pay taxes at a higher rate than anyone else? And, you should also understand that article 1 section 8 of our US Constitution states that all taxes should be uniform. Doesn't say each shall pay according to his ability, that would be the Communist Manifesto written by Karl marx, who wasn't nearly as funny as groucho, or the one on your underwear, Skid........

Hell no and it aint over now.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

In 1913, an amendment to the Constitution was ratified permitting a progressive income tax. There is a lot more to Communism than from each according to his ability-to each according to his need. It calls for state control of all capital and an artificial equality that I agree stifles ambition and productivity. I am a capitalist. I want people to have the opportunity to get rich and stay rich, but I also believe that those who have been able to grow wealthy in our capitalist system can afford to give more back. At this point, for a start, I would like to see the wealthy pay the same rate as we do. The tax rates of the wealthy should not be lower than the rates of the people who clean their office.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    692 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Trouser Trout View Post
    I agree, but if you are going to quote our founders you must also believe they would overwhelmingly be considered conservatives by todays standards....
    Yes TT, I believe they would be, but without all the religious rhetoric, and corporate cronyism.....
    "
    I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country"
    Thomas Jefferson....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    692 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    In 1913, an amendment to the Constitution was ratified permitting a progressive income tax. There is a lot more to Communism than from each according to his ability-to each according to his need. It calls for state control of all capital and an artificial equality that I agree stifles ambition and productivity. I am a capitalist. I want people to have the opportunity to get rich and stay rich, but I also believe that those who have been able to grow wealthy in our capitalist system can afford to give more back. At this point, for a start, I would like to see the wealthy pay the same rate as we do. The tax rates of the wealthy should not be lower than the rates of the people who clean their office.
    I find a majority of people who live off the system are not lacking ability, but lacking the drive and determination to be successful ( I did not say all, bad shit happens)...It is much easier to sit home and collect a check... I also agree the tax code needs to be re-written without so many loopholes, but the rich should not be punished for being successful....too much pity in this country..toughen the fuck up!!!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

CTobias (10-29-2012)

Thread Information